Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

The Pens power play is so lethal this year. Kessel, Crosby, and Malkin are 1-2-3 in power play points across the league.

Kessel: 65 points (2nd), 33 PPP (1st), 51% of points on PP

Crosby: 60 points (10th), 30 PPP (2nd), 50% of points on PP

Malkin: 62 points (6th), 28 PPP (3rd), 45% of points on PP

Our top three scorers are Jack, ROR, Kane. They have scored 25%, 27%, and 22% of their points on the PP, respectively.

Seems to have worked out very well for the Pens two years running, eh?

They were 4th last year, and 16th the year before that. The year before that, when the Hawks won it, they were 20th, and the year before that the Kings (who won it) were 27th

Too busy now to look up their postseason pp success, but I imagine the numbers drop dramatically too.

It sure helps to get there, though ;)

We saw how that worked last year though.. But of the top 13 PP% teams last year, only us and Tampa missed the playoffs.

I would think that's correlation, not causation. Good teams usually have good special teams, and good teams usually make the playoffs. 

I would think that's correlation, not causation. Good teams usually have good special teams, and good teams usually make the playoffs. 

Yes and no. I think it's a bit of both.

You win games (and thereby make the playoffs) by scoring goals. PPG count just the same as EVG on the scoreboard. 

Now, I obviously see where the correlation thought comes from. Good teams are good because they have good players. Those good players make up the PP, so they should be among the best in the league. But still, you need to score to win games. A good PP is FAR from the only indicator of team success, but I think it's pretty important.

They were 4th last year, and 16th the year before that. The year before that, when the Hawks won it, they were 20th, and the year before that the Kings (who won it) were 27th

Too busy now to look up their postseason pp success, but I imagine the numbers drop dramatically too.

OK.  I admit that I am guilty of not doing the leg work prior to my post, but 4th last year was very good.

Anyway, I will say it now and someone write it down ... I predict that when the dust settles in June the Pens will have a 3rd cup in a row.

OK.  I admit that I am guilty of not doing the leg work prior to my post, but 4th last year was very good.

Anyway, I will say it now and someone write it down ... I predict that when the dust settles in June the Pens will have a 3rd cup in a row.

No worries

I just can't see a team have a 3-peat. Let alone one with such inconsistent play as the Pens. I'm going for a Bruins - Blues final, and the Bruins win another one

I can't see Pittsburgh winning the cup this year.  Tampa or someone else will. 

Seems to have worked out very well for the Pens two years running, eh?

Last year:

Crosby - 89 points (25 PPP)

Malkin - 72 points (23 PPP)

Kessel - 70 points (30 PPP)

None of those numbers are near where they are this year. 

Last year the Penguins were 2nd in the league in GF 5on5  with 185.  This year they are 25th at 91.  

Last year is how they have success.  This year is how they limp into the playoffs and get trounced.

The Islanders just scored 4 straight goals to come back from being down 5-2 to Detroit. Detroit scores with under a minute left to tie it at 6.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Sabre games of all time. Mid 80s - down to Boston 6-2 at home. Stormed back to win 7-6. Andreychuck, McKenna, Cyr, Housley — all kids, leading the way.

The Islanders just scored 4 straight goals to come back from being down 5-2 to Detroit. Detroit scores with under a minute left to tie it at 6.

Yep.  They're offense is amazing.  Their goaltending is terrible and against a good team, 7-6 is not a victory they are going to get. 

Yep. They're offense is amazing. Their goaltending is terrible and against a good team, 7-6 is not a victory they are going to get.

They're still not gonna trade for a goalie.

The major penalty. "OH MY LORD HIS STICK HIT MY PANTS!!!!!"

https://twitter.com/islesblog/status/962150437339222017

Epic dive :lol:

The major penalty. "OH MY LORD HIS STICK HIT MY PANTS!!!!!"https://twitter.com/islesblog/status/962150437339222017

Screw Cluuterbuck, he desrved it with that elbow he threw. Clutterbuck is a cheap bastage. Simple slash retaliation... major hardly but it had to hurt... As my brothers and I use to say Charrrlie Horse.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Sabre games of all time. Mid 80s - down to Boston 6-2 at home. Stormed back to win 7-6. Andreychuck, McKenna, Cyr, Housley — all kids, leading the way.

Even better. It was 6-1. I have a tape with both Rick and Ted calling the goals. Maybe I'll post it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.