Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

Believe much discussed move to bring veteran D-man Marc Methot to Dallas from Vegas Golden Knights is close to becoming reality. #NHL

Per Scott Burnside

Done. For a 2020 2nd round pick and goalie prospect Dylan Ferguson.

“I think the one that probably got Quenneville stunned was Hjalmarsson,” said Friedman. “Quenneville loves Hjalmarsson. I think that Hjalmarsson is one of the more underrated players in all of the NHL. I’ll tell you this: I don’t know if he’ll ever get Hall of Fame consideration, but I think he’s that good.

“And I’ll tell you something else: the guys who play against him see him at that level too. He can play both sides of the ice, including his off-wing, and he plays it pretty well. He’s a guy who plays through a lot of pain. If you were to ask players about defensemen/players they respect who don’t get a lot of attention, I think Hjalmarsson would be incredibly high on that list.

“And I think that’s the guy that Quenneville was upset to lose.”

“I did not see the Hjalmarsson one coming,” admitted Friedman. “When I heard they were making a deal with Chicago, I initially thought it was for Hossa. So I was surprised.

“The Raanta-Stepan thing had kind of been out there. I didn’t realize they were doing it for the No. 7 pick until I saw what the actual trade was. But they were in on Stepan last year and it didn’t happen because I think the Rangers needed to do something else, and they weren’t able to do it. But that’s a guy they’ve kind of looked at.

“I think the one thing is they know they’ve got two years to sell Oliver Ekman-Larsson on staying with that team. They’re going to make him the captain. I think OEL had a big hand in getting Hjalmarsson to agree to go there. They’re pretty tight, and I think that was an OEL-targeted deal as much as anything else.

“I do think that they realize they haven’t made the playoffs in five years. I don’t think they’re going to make the playoffs this year. I think it’s going to be really tough. But I think they’re going to be better.

“They’ve got a lot of good young players. They’ve got Max Domi. They’ve got Clayton Keller, who I think really has a chance to be something. I just think they wanted some pros there. Also, I think with Stepan, he can take all of those brutal Western Conference matchups – the Kopitars, the Monahans, the McDavids or the Draisaitls. I think that way your young players don’t just get creamed all the time.

“So I see Arizona as a team saying, ‘We’ve got two years to make sure that Ekman-Larsson stays, and I think this was part of the process to get there. I think Ekman-Larsson was very involved in the recruitment of Hjalmarsson.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-sees-hjalmarsson-acquisition-oel-targeted-deal/

Does anyone out there know if/how the expansion draft could have effected players in the AHL, or were they protected? Was curious if Nylander could have been taken.

Every First or second year player and unsigned draft choices were automatically protected and exempt from expansion.

Nylander was in this group

@PierreVLeBrun

Hearing that the Habs have investigated trying to get Emelin back from Vegas. Not sure if they'll proceed, however.

@PierreVLeBrun

Also hear that Ottawa has looked into Emelin as well....

Weber, Emelin, Alzner...Montreal looking to assemble an elite defensive unit circa 2001.

“I think with Matt Duchene – you heard that Joe Sakic said, ‘Look, if the offers don’t get any better, then he might start the season next year back here in Colorado,’ ” noted Friedman. “I think that’s negotiating too. I think it’s all part of the dance that we go through with this.

“I still think the Islanders are interested. The Islanders, after their trade with Calgary, have a few more pieces to deal with.

“And as I wrote today, I wouldn’t be surprised if in a stealth way Pittsburgh is kind of interested. They’re a team that kind of looked at Duchene, I think, last year. We heard their name mentioned with them a couple of times. I don’t know if they’ve really exited. It wouldn’t be an easy thing for Pittsburgh to do for cap purposes, but Duchene is a flexible guy – he can play center and he can play wing and that’s the kind of player you need in the cap world.

“So I wouldn’t be surprised if Pittsburgh is still lurking along with the Islanders.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-wonders-penguins-interest-duchene/

Friedman mentioned in February that Maatta would likely be the foundation of that deal

You guys remember the D the last two times we were good:

Zhitnik, Smehlik, McKee, Warrener, Woolley, Patrick

Tallinder, Lydman, Campbell, McKee, Kulikov, Numminen

Not a cornerstone in the bunch but every single one could play in the top four.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.