Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

Good points, you very well could be right there

No way is he a deadline deal. He's going to stay with the Island, just like every player like him in his situation always does, every time. And he's going to waste away there and do nothing. 

The only single other team I could see getting him would be Detroit

You're probably right.

But his team has sucked, the arena situation is unsettled and one of his best friends in Okposo wouldn't even discuss staying in NY with Isles Management.

He took a team friendly contract and got on by Snow.

If anyone is ripe to jump it's him. Detroit does seem like the probable destination if it does occur.

First glance, Tavares doesn't sign in NY.

He gets traded before the deadline

Eberle is a good player, but they just weakened their defense for futures.

Tavares walks in FA.

And even if it takes Bert allowing 11 to be unretired & changing the colors to orange & black - make that one happen.

Want nothing to do w/ Shattenkirk @ the price he'll command. Land Johnny T.

Make being stuck w/ Matty M actually amount to something.

OK, let me line up the large contracts we will either have or need to have in the extremely near proximity to next summer.  Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo, Ristolainen, 1 more year of Moulson, 2 more years of Bogo's 5.1.  That assumes Kane walks and we don't sign anyone this summer to money or term.  I spent around 40-43 million right there on 7 players.  Figure Tavares will need to come in at AT LEAST 10 x 8 to outbid Toronto and everyone else. 

Tavares' deal will be guided as much by McJesus' deal as anything else and if the Sabres are smart they ink Eichel to an extension before McJesus blows up the entire market.  If McDavid gets 12 (and he fully SHOULD get AT LEAST that) what's Tavares worth? 11?

OK, 1st off, unless they have him in house prior to the trade deadline, he ain't getting an 8 year deal.

2nd, if the Loafs can send Princess Phaneuf out of town (& in division no less) Bogosian IS tradeable. Moulson ends up in Ra-cha-cha in a worst case. And Reinhart gets a bridge deal.

There is no way possible this team can't add Johnny T unless they do something stupid like sign Shattenkirk to the deal he'll get.

Risto's locked @ $5.4 & O'Reilly's locked at $7.5 ($0.5 less than Eichel will be locked at).

Tavares will come in @ $9 or 10 but a bright guy like Botteril can make it work.

McClavicle is an outlier. No point in getting upset at what he makes. He is the heir to Gretzky.

If you don't think the agents are going to base every contract off of McDavid's in the future you're crazy.  It will move the effective ceiling for everyone.  I wouldn't be shocked to see McDavid get 14 and honestly if he wants it he can get it by waiting until he's a RFA.  I'd give him that and Edmonton the 5 1st round picks in a hot second and so would at least half the league.

I'm well aware tht the NHL GM collude with each other to not extend RFA's offer sheets.  McDavid would be the player for which I'd be willing to flip off the entire league over in that regard and there is no way I'm alone in that thinking.

Agents can try to base deals off McClavicle's next one, but the only "comparable" to him in the league is Crosby. If the GM's won't offer McClavicle deals, regardless of how long the agents try to hold their breath, their clients won't get them.

Preds want to replenish the top 6 after losing Neal. Already said to be in on Duchene, but Sakic's asking price was too high. Wonder if they start looking at Galchenyuck instead

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/predators-gm-looking-replenish-top-six/

Why not? Poile has a history of winning trades w/ Bergevin.

Wonder if they'd have to send back a puck bag & a broken stick or if Bergevin will hold out for a 2nd broken stick? ;)

That Hamonic trade makes no sense to me. The Islanders went out and got Eberle for win now, then traded Hamonic for the future? Why?

Also

DarrenDreger
There is trade interest in Phaneuf from outside his list, so Sens are in discussion with Newport to see if Dion is willing to be flexible

Agreed...strange trading Hamonic for the future when they have Johnny T. aging and now Eberle. Also., I sure as hell hope it isn't the sabres interested in Phaneuf at his crazy contract.

Also I just got through checking out the St Louis trade giving up Jeri Lehtera, who isn't too bad a center, along with first round picks this year and next for Braeden Schenn. Does that not seem like a lot for Schenn?

Preds want to replenish the top 6 after losing Neal. Already said to be in on Duchene, but Sakic's asking price was too high. Wonder if they start looking at Galchenyuck instead

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/predators-gm-looking-replenish-top-six/

I think both Montreal's and Galchenyuck's asking price will be too high as well

still amazed the damn Leafs got lucky somehow and got Timothy Liljegren at 17. He'll be a stud for them for sure. Also Tampa got a good one in Foote...he'll fit right in playing alongside Hedman. Last but not least, really? At No. 8, the Buffalo Sabres select Casey Mittelstadt, who made headlines when he failed to do a pull-up at the combine. Yikes, we already got Nylander who looks soft and smallish and weak, and now we got...Casey!!! 

Edited by Sabre fan

Agreed...strange trading Hamonic for the future when they have Johnny T. aging and now Eberle. Also., I sure as hell hope it isn't the sabres interested in Phaneuf at his crazy contract.

Also I just got through checking out the St Louis trade giving up Jeri Lehtera, who isn't too bad a center, along with first round picks this year and next for Braeden Schenn. Does that not seem like a lot for Schenn?

still amazed the damn Leafs got lucky somehow and got Timothy Liljegren at 17. He'll be a stud for them for sure. Also Tampa got a good one in Foote...he'll fit right in playing alongside Hedman. Last but not least, really? At No. 8, the Buffalo Sabres select Casey Mittelstadt, who made headlines when he failed to do a pull-up at the combine. Yikes, we already got Nylander who looks soft and smallish and weak, and now we got...Casey!!! 

Buffalo and Buffalo fan need to get this blue collar hard-nosed battler for every position out of their freaking heads. I am so sick of hearing how skilled players are soft because they what? Don't beat up the other team? Are punching people? Basically every 18 year old is weak. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Makes 4.5 mill a year , for a 3C scoring 30 points its a bit much, I'm not surprised he is gone.

The Islanders are stacked on D , take a look at their prospects to, they could afford to get one D of the team and harmonic has been begging to be traded to an Alberta team because of family reasons for 2 years now.

Buffalo and Buffalo fan need to get this blue collar hard-nosed battler for every position out of their freaking heads. I am so sick of hearing how skilled players are soft because they what? Don't beat up the other team? Are punching people? Basically every 18 year old is weak.

I think his combine testing results are a legitimate concern. I also realize that fitness can be improved. Nonetheless, being near the bottom of many of the tests at this point in the game is a head scratcher. Especially when scouts were calling him above the curve in physical development.

Hopefully the kid kicks his training program in high gear at college.

I think his combine testing results are a legitimate concern. I also realize that fitness can be improved. Nonetheless, being near the bottom of many of the tests at this point in the game is a head scratcher. Especially when scouts were calling him above the curve in physical development.

Hopefully the kid kicks his training program in high gear at college.

I think a college training program will really solve a lot of these concerns. 

I think a college training program will really solve a lot of these concerns.

VOX testing results concern me. Im not sure that is increased much with incremental increases in fitness. We'll see soon enough. I'm not going to harangue the kid for it before there is reason to.

VOX testing results concern me. Im not sure that is increased much with incremental increases in fitness. We'll see soon enough. I'm not going to harangue the kid for it before there is reason to.

He is described on-ice as being high-motor and ultra competitive, and nothing was ever mentioned in anything I read about fatigue, though maybe the VO2 test discrepancies wouldn't appear until all of the competition is as elite as it is in the NHL? 

He is described on-ice as being high-motor and ultra competitive, and nothing was ever mentioned in anything I read about fatigue, though maybe the VO2 test discrepancies wouldn't appear until all of the competition is as elite as it is in the NHL?

I think hsis stated it well. VO2 can measure max capacity. He may be indefatigable, but is it at the level needed for a high tempo game at the highest level? We'll see. I hope so.

Edited by We've

The Sabres twitter page just shared a sharpen-your-swords pump up video for next season, it was only ~30 seconds long, but there was not even a glimpse of Reinhart in the clips. I saw Gorges and Bogosian, and plenty of Eichel/ROR/Risto/Okposo and some Kane, but no Samson. 

Get ready for dat trade!! ;)

“Colorado… this Matt Duchene thing has dragged on long enough,” said hockey Insider Bob McKenzie during a Monday morning radio hit on Edmonton’s TSN 1260. “They can say, ‘If we don’t get the right deal we’ll bring him back this fall.’ Nuh-uh. That’s not going to work. It’s not going to be good for him. It’s not going to be good for them. They need to turn the page on that whole thing and make a deal.

“I think the Islanders are still in on Duchene to some degree. That’s why they picked up a lot of other assets. But Colorado is certainly a team to watch.”

“I think it’s interesting. I think Duchene’s agent, Pat Brisson, is pretty frustrated,” said Elliotte Friedman on Monday morning while on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960. “I’m sure Duchene is frustrated too. Colorado’s asks have been very big, from what I’ve been told. I think locally they feel this is not a deal they can ‘lose,’ and other teams are saying, ‘Okay, we’ll try to force them to sell low.’

“I can’t see it happening. I see it as a lot of posturing instead of anything else there. Right now we’re sort of in the who’s got the big ones here, who can stand up the longest.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mckenzie-friedman-examine-lingering-duchene-trade-situation/

“The pressure’s on Joe and the Avalanche,” said NHL Insider Bob McKenzie during a Monday afternoon appearance on Toronto’s TSN 1050. “They weren’t a good team last year. The thing is spiralling in the wrong direction. I understand that you have to get market value, and the player is still under contract for another two years, but there’s also a point in time where the rumors become so plentiful and the uncertainty becomes so great that a player like Matt Duchene virtually checks out.

“In other words, is he still of the mindset that he wants or is going to be a productive member of the Colorado Avalanche, or is he already in his own mind moved on – even though he hasn’t been moved.

“I’ve got to think that one’s going to start to become an uncomfortable situation. Because Duchene knows what the goal here is for the Avalanche. The goal here for the Avalanche is to try to parlay him, a little bit of an older player – not old by any stretch, but relatively speaking – into a younger asset. You don’t want to call it a rebuild, because they’ve already been through a couple of those, but there’s no question that there’s some more pain ahead for the Colorado Avalanche.

“For a guy like Matt Duchene, who has been in the league as long as he has been, I’m sure he wants to win. So he hasn’t formally asked for a trade, but I think like everybody else he’s probably expecting one, and maybe even hoping for one at this point.

“And I understand where Joe and the Avs are coming from, but I mean a lot of the teams I talk to say, ‘We’ve made offers and the Avalanche are overvaluing this asset given that he’s two years away from unrestricted free agency.’ “

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/mckenzie-pressure-sakic-avalanche-duchene-front/

The Sabres twitter page just shared a sharpen-your-swords pump up video for next season, it was only ~30 seconds long, but there was not even a glimpse of Reinhart in the clips. I saw Gorges and Bogosian, and plenty of Eichel/ROR/Risto/Okposo and some Kane, but no Samson.

Get ready for dat trade!! ;)

:P

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-bills-create-highlight-video-with-no-tyrod-taylor-fans-go-nuts-on-twitter/amp/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.