Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

The Sabres unfortunately are heavy in LW with not much on the right. Unless they can flip Kane for a competent right winger, they are going to have to make do. It does not change that the Sabres are waisting time by continuing to jam O'Reilley and Reinhardt into the wrong positions.

We are stronger organizationally on the right.

The idea of trading Sam before we ever gave him the chance to play center on this team is beyond premature imo. We have assets to trade; Kane and #8.

He's had a few training camps to prove he's a better center than our other centers. 

With Housley and Botteril shaping the team, I am betting we are going to be a team that will use speed as its primary force.  Sam is not the right center for a team that is basing its offence on a speed attack.

He's had a few training camps to prove he's a better center than our other centers. 

With Housley and Botteril shaping the team, I am betting we are going to be a team that will use speed as its primary force.  Sam is not the right center for a team that is basing its offence on a speed attack.

Speed is not just skating. Common misconception. 

With Housley and Botteril shaping the team, I am betting we are going to be a team that will use speed as its primary force. Sam is not the right center for a team that is basing its offence on a speed attack.

I don't think the last two training camps had anything to do with DB keeping him stuck on wing. Especially considering all the reports of how much he improved two years ago from his rookie camp.

Speed is not just skating. Common misconception. 

They aren't going to choose Sam over ROR for long passes though.

I don't think the last two training camps had anything to do with DB keeping him stuck on wing. Especially considering all the reports of how much he improved two years ago from his rookie camp.

No doubt he's improved.  He's still trying unseat two centers that are better than him, and he's not dynamic enough to be as effective with our 3rd line wingers as he is on Jack's wing.

It's not accurate to say he hasn't had a chance.  He's had his chances.  During that time he's shown himself to be more valuable on the #2 RW spot.

They aren't going to choose Sam over ROR for long passes though.

No doubt he's improved. He's still trying unseat two centers that are better than him, and he's not dynamic enough to be as effective with our 3rd line wingers as he is on Jack's wing.

It's not accurate to say he hasn't had a chance. He's had his chances. During that time he's shown himself to be more valuable on the #2 RW spot.

He needs a HC that is willing to spend the games to go through the growing pains of him transitioning to center at the nhl level.

I've said it before, Sam is not dynamic enough to be a center with a top 6 role on a good team. 

And I'm expecting that his effectiveness will drop considerably with the 3rd best set of wingers on a team.  Especially with OUR depth at wing in particular.

I'm not an advocate for moving Sam.  I like him on Jack's wing.  And I don't want to subtract from this offense,  But I think it is pretty easy to rationalize moving Sam for a D man that improves the team if you consider that his most valuable role for us is as our #2 RW.

I've said it before. Is Henrik Sedin dynamic? Patrice Bergeron?

Not every first line centre has to play like Eichel and Crosby.

I know they drafted him to be a centre. It's wrong that they've never tried to develop him as one.

That said, Bylsma clearly agrees with you. I suspect JBot might too.

He needs a HC that is willing to spend the games to go through the growing pains of him transitioning to center at the nhl level.

Convince me why you move move a better center to wing to play Sam at center.

I've said it before. Is Henrik Sedin dynamic? Patrice Bergeron?

Not every first line centre has to play like Eichel and Crosby.

I know they drafted him to be a centre. It's wrong that they've never tried to develop him as one.

That said, Bylsma clearly agrees with you. I suspect JBot might too.

I would label prime Henrik as dynamic.  and he had dynamic wingers too.  I would argue that Bergeron had much better wing support as well.  Sam isn't getting that kind of winger support unless you slide him in to Jack or ROR's role and move the better center to wing.  Why would you do that?

Edited by We've

Who's to say you put the "3rd line wingers" with Reinhart.  Give Okposo to Eichel, Give Kane to Reinhart, Give the next best winger to ROR. 

The depth on wing just isn't there to do what you want done.  If these wingers were out there we wouldn't be in a spot where Sam-as-center means picking wingers from a group of Foligno, Kane, and a bunch of guys that have never proven anything.

You're wrong there We've.

Hoover     Reinhart       Electrolux

giphy.gif

Convince me why you move move a better center to wing to play Sam at center.

I am trying to convince you, hence the advocating for giving him substantial playing time at 2C. Won't know til we actually try it with a decent commitment to it.

You haven't said why at all.  You have said move Sam to 2nd center, which means ROR moves to wing (I assume).  I am asking why you would move the better center to wing.

Edited by We've

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.