Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

Tocchet hasn't even been interviewed yet. Unless it happened this morning.

Why would you think he is the leading candidate? Regardless of their past, it's unlikely he and JBot hadever discussed how Tocchet would coach the Buffalo Sabres. And for all we know they are just two former coworkers who barely know each other outside the office.

Botterill has been described as very analytical and methodical. He told us his search would be wide reaching and thorough.

We know he has talked to a number of people and told some of them they are out of the running.

That means some, or at least one, are still in the running. And there has to be a favourite.

That guy hasn't been offered the job because JBot hasn't interviewed all the candidates yet.

Some guys wouldn't have waited, but it seems like it is Botterrill's nature to be thorough.

He hasn't had a chance to judge Tocchet or Housley or Martin yet, but one guy has set a bar they will have to beat.

Could be Arniel, or Krueger, or someone else.

I happen to think it's Reirden.

I'm not giving him the edge for their personal relationship, as in water cooler buddies. I'm giving him the edge because he was employed by them, won two Cups with them, and they both speak very highly of each other

What I like about Housley (or dare I say, the concept of Housley) isn't that he made the defensemen there good per se, but that he recognized their strengths and allowed the players to play to them. It may seem a simple thing, but so many coaches fail to do this.

This.  I'm really interested to see what a guy like Bogo can do under Housley.  I know he's been a tire fire the past two years but he was never this bad in 'Peg.  If we could get him up to serviceable or 'gasp' a top 4 D which he was drafted to be, then that would be astronomical for this franchise.

Did he do this, or did the head coach of the Nashville Predators, who has taken three different franchises that played three different types of hockey to the finals, do this?

Housley was in charge of their incredibly average power play, we do know that.

I appreciate this information on the powerplay...First brake tap on Housley...Then I look at my alias and attempt to put this minor imperfection into perspective.

...and BUF is the only team in the league without a head coach, so JBOT has no reason to speed up the process.

Regardless the longer we wait the longer it takes for everyone to get acclimated which is not ideal 

Did he do this, or did the head coach of the Nashville Predators, who has taken three different franchises that played three different types of hockey to the finals, do this?

Don't worry, Bob Woods is apparently still employed and can continuing coaching the PP.

I appreciate this information on the powerplay...First brake tap on Housley...Then I look at my alias and attempt to put this minor imperfection into perspective.

It's not a big deal, it's just one of the only pieces of real information we have.

As long as Jack, Risto, and Ryan are here I'm not too worried about the peeper.

And I don't even think our power play is well coached. We looked downright miserable trying to enter the zone and set up all season. But when ROR wins te faceoff clean and we don't have to do that part, there is enough lethal passing and shooting ability to score goals. If we lose the faceoff and the puck is cleared, the power play is all but over, with two screwy entry attempts followed by the unit headlined by Moulson, Ennis, and Gionta.

Per Joe Yerdon the plane was for the Pegulas but it was for business with their record label not hockey related business.

Uh huh.

I fully expect a surprise like Ruff or Kreuger happening.

This is a wet dream.  Don't see it happening though.

Well, he was there before Laviolette. At the very least, he has learned under both Trotz and Laviolette, and hasn't stood in the way of progress--which was part of your tepid defense of Tocchet :p

The PP is both worrisome and confounding. Though the value of point shots is the high in general, I can see the logic of looking at those blue liners versus the forwards (all due respect to Johansen and Forsberg) and thinking it'd be better to get the D more involved in shot generation. But at some point you'd like the coach to recognize it's not very good and shift so that, even if the D are still the primary generators, there not just flinging low percentage point shots.

It's not a big deal, it's just one of the only pieces of real information we have.

As long as Jack, Risto, and Ryan are here I'm not too worried about the peeper.

And I don't even think our power play is well coached. We looked downright miserable trying to enter the zone and set up all season. But when ROR wins te faceoff clean and we don't have to do that part, there is enough lethal passing and shooting ability to score goals. If we lose the faceoff and the puck is cleared, the power play is all but over, with two screwy entry attempts followed by the unit headlined by Moulson, Ennis, and Gionta.

Agreed. Our PP was lethal...when it got set up in the zone. Getting that was oftentimes far more of a problem than it should have been.