Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

nicknamed The Boogieman, is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman and an assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League. As head coach of the Windsor Spitfires in the Ontario Hockey League, Boughner has won two Memorial Cup championships, in 2009 and 2010 and has won the Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award twice, in 2008 and 2010.

From wikipedia. So he's great with defensemen, and grooming and developing young kids. Seems solid

Edited by WildCard

Boughner headed a new ownership group in purchasing the then-struggling Windsor Spitfires in February 2006. He has been head coach of the team, as well as President & C.E.O., except during the 2010-11 season when Boughner served as an assistant coach with the Columbus Blue Jackets.[1][2]

In 2007–2008, he coached the Spitfires to the second best regular season finish in their history with 94 points, and was honored as OHL and CHL Coach of the Year.[3] On April 15, 2009, Boughner was named the OHL's coach of the year for the second year in a row.

On May 8, 2009, he coached the Windsor Spitfires to their first OHL championship in 21 years after finishing the regular season with a league best 115 points. Also, that same year went on to win Windsor's first Memorial Cup, becoming the first team to lose the first two games of the tournament and still win the Cup. Bougher's Spitfires successfully defended their Memorial Cup championship in 2010.

On June 24, 2009, he was selected by Hockey Canada to coach the National Under-18 hockey team at the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament. The team went on to dominate by going undefeated and won gold at the tournament.

More from wikipedia

Edited by WildCard

Article on our coaching search and Florida's involving him, some quotes from him, as well as some more history on him

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/16/sharks-bob-boughner-on-possibly-becoming-an-nhl-head-coach-im-ready/

Boughner coached the Spitfires to Memorial Cup titles in 2009 and 2010, teams that featured a handful of current NHL players, including Taylor Hall, Ryan Ellis and Adam Henrique.

Boughner then became an assistant coach with Columbus for the 2010-11 season under Scott Arniel.

“I’m glad I did what I did,” Boughner said. “This is my third full year on an NHL bench and looking back, at the time when I won a couple (Memorial) Cups, I said, ‘I’m ready to go to the NHL.’ Well, it’s not as easy as you think.

“There’s a lot of learning and the league changes every year and team’s identities. You see teams, the L.A.’s — four or five years ago winning Stanley Cups. Now those teams are built completely different. Now it’s the teams, the Pittsburgh’s, the Nashville’s, all of these speedier teams. So, you’ve got to stay on top of it. You’ve got to know the league.

“I feel comfortable going into a position if I was fortunate to be in that position to one, to manage people. Managing NHLers is different than managing kids in the OHL. I know how teams are playing, their tendencies, their coaching. So that experience has helped me. I’m ready. I’m definitely ready and I want to get my own team.”

Sign me up for this guy. There isn't a single thing on his list that he hasn't done. Well, outside of win a Cup coaching

Edited by WildCard

Article on our coaching search and Florida's involving him, some quotes from him, as well as some more history on him

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/16/sharks-bob-boughner-on-possibly-becoming-an-nhl-head-coach-im-ready/

Sign me up for this guy. There isn't a single thing on his list that he hasn't done. Well, outside of win a Cup coaching

Yep.  Based on the 15 min of research I've done on him he seems to check most of the boxes.  I doubt I'll react much either way to any hire.  Let's wait until Christmas and I'll tell you then if it was a good choice or not.

I'm greatly looking forward to all the crying about the Sabres hiring a former Sabre like it's a problem that so many former Sabres are coaches now. 

I don't care if the Sabres hire an ex-Sabre to be the coach. I care if the Sabres hire an ex-Sabre to be the coach BECAUSE he's an ex-Sabre. Stop pandering to us, hire someone good. If Boogie is that, then cool.

Interesting that the "tough" guys have landed the GM spot and possible HC gig.

I always figure this is because of 2 things:

1) The skilled guys get paid enough that they don't really worry about getting a job after they retire and

2) the more skilled guys are the harder it is to teach that skill. Guys who had to scrap (as in work, not literally fight) for every morsel of playing time know what it takes to get better. Skilled guys can skate (har) by on that inherent talent alone. Not that it doesn't take hard work for them as well, but the old "you can't teach speed" cliche comes in to play here.

Edited by sabills

I don't care if the Sabres hire an ex-Sabre to be the coach. I care if the Sabres hire an ex-Sabre to be the coach BECAUSE he's an ex-Sabre. Stop pandering to us, hire someone good. If Boogie is that, then cool.

I always figure this is because of 2 things:

1) The skilled guys get paid enough that they don't really worry about getting a job after they retire and

2) the more skilled guys are the harder it is to teach that skill. Guys who had to scrap (as in work, not literally fight) for every morsel of playing time know what it takes to get better. Skilled guys can skate (har) by on that inherent talent alone. Not that it doesn't take hard work for them as well, but the old "you can't teach speed" cliche comes in to play here.

How would anyone know the difference? It's just going to be "choose your own narrative". 

Housley or Ruff.

Housley all the way.  I'm a big fan of Ruff, hope all goes well for him.  But at times it's best to move on and not return.  I understand this would be Housely's first head coaching position in the NHL, but the potential is there.  Feel he would have an immediate impact on the Sabres d'.  Will admit a reason to bring Ruff back is his ability to adapt to the players; meaning don't force a system on them.  Play a style of game that matches the players you have.  The defense needs tremendous help though, so I'm staying w/ Housely.  

Any ex-Sabre hired (if hired) will come with the extra layer of questions attached. Best candidate or not, everyone will remember the Pegula face fountain at the introductory presses and go from there. Again, deserved or not...

Urgh, those books were so much worse than the original Goosebumps...

You kidding me?  I loved the choose your own adventure.  That was my grade 5/6 go to when it came time for the annual scholastic book sale.....

Housley all the way.  I'm a big fan of Ruff, hope all goes well for him.  But at times it's best to move on and not return.  I understand this would be Housely's first head coaching position in the NHL, but the potential is there.  Feel he would have an immediate impact on the Sabres d'.  Will admit a reason to bring Ruff back is his ability to adapt to the players; meaning don't force a system on them.  Play a style of game that matches the players you have.  The defense needs tremendous help though, so I'm staying w/ Housely.

This is a different team and time. I'd be okay with Ruff and think he didn't deserve to be let go to begin with.

Think Boughner would take the Amerks head coaching job? Set up a Housley/Boughner coaching tandem.

That's the only thing I would see him as. From what I've read about him here, he had a bunch of success in the minors about 8 years ago. I'm not sure what he had been doing the last 8 years though.

I want a coach who has personally witnessed what type of play is needed to go deep into the playoffs. Tochett and Housley are well aware of this and Boughner may be aware too. It's up to JBott to decide how qualified they are.

Edited by kas23

This is a different team and time. I'd be okay with Ruff and think he didn't deserve to be let go to begin with.

I said it in the old thread, but I don't think this team has the goaltending that Ruff needs for his favored system to be successful.