The Potential Signing of Giorgio Estephan

Thorny

Good lord man. We're talking about Giorgio estephan. I mean even my autocorret wants to change it to estrogen. It's Giorgio estephan. I know it's may 26th. I know we wish it was October 10th. But Jesus, we're talking Giorgio estephan. Woooooooooooo friggen cares.....he won't go somewhere else and haunt us. I'm a guy that gets caught up in our prospects and usually overrate them. I don't give two shits if we sign him or not. It's a 6th rounder who has been ok. Let's stop wasting our time here. I've heard this dudes name like 20 times in the last week. I'm almost positive after July I'll never here his name again so long as I shall live.

Here We Are in late March. This post deserves an award.

Edited by Andrew Amerk

Good lord man. We're talking about Giorgio estephan. I mean even my autocorret wants to change it to estrogen. It's Giorgio estephan. I know it's may 26th. I know we wish it was October 10th. But Jesus, we're talking Giorgio estephan. Woooooooooooo friggen cares.....he won't go somewhere else and haunt us. I'm a guy that gets caught up in our prospects and usually overrate them. I don't give two shits if we sign him or not. It's a 6th rounder who has been ok. Let's stop wasting our time here. I've heard this dudes name like 20 times in the last week. I'm almost positive after July I'll never here his name again so long as I shall live.

Good thing Regier didn't think this way about signing late picks like Campbell, Miller, Gaustad, Kotalik etc....

One random thought. Maybe he doesn't want to sign with us after his great playoff performance. Maybe he thinks he can get a better offer if he goes back into the draft.

Edited by yse325

I would say it's more likely a case of Estephan pushing for more money than the average sixth-rounder than the Sabres not being interested.

This certainly could be the case, but what leverage does he really have to get more money out of the Sabres?  Although I don't think ELC's are slotted $ wise, they do decrease the deeper in the draft you go.  If he doesn't sign with us, he goes back in the draft and there is no guarantee he gets picked higher.   

The Sabres could compromise by giving him a standard NHL half of the ELC, but give him a higher AHL salary.   

Frankly, I don't see the harm with rewarding a solid prospect who has developed better then most of his 6th rd peers.  It doesn't set a bad precedent.  It actually rewards hard work.

Just checked twitter and Kris Baker referenced Estephan today.  He said "nice WHL player. Have him ranked 14th among Sabres prospects."  Also wrote "Estephan would be org depth piece to develop in AHL with focus on becoming considerably speedier/quicker."

Edited by GASabresFan

I hate to call you out for being a racist so soon after the last time, but why do you hate Mexicans?

Let's be honest, we're not having this discussion if his name was George Stevens.

Very different from the last comment Shrader made. It's not like he said -- hey, I hired some guys hanging out at Home Depot to paint my house and one of them looked like Giorgio Estephan.

Very different from the last comment Shrader made. It's not like he said -- hey, I hired some guys hanging out at Home Depot to paint my house and one of them looked like Giorgio Estephan.

Please let this go.  Saying that a coworker looks like a (minor) celebrity is not racist no matter the race of the celebrity.  Geez.

Please let this go.  Saying that a coworker looks like a (minor) celebrity is not racist no matter the race of the celebrity.  Geez.

I'm not even sure where the mexican thing comes from anyway.  I have no idea what the origin of the last name Estephan is, but Giorgio is pretty clearly an italian name.

But anyway, I was attempting to hint at the idea that we wouldn't be talking about this guy if his name didn't sound a lot like Gloria Estefan.  Maybe instead I should have said we wouldn't be talking about him if his name was George Michael... oh wait, we'd still be talking.

So, you're admitting that you do hate Mexicans.?!

So I have been trying to figure out where all the hub bub about this kid came from. My only conclusion is that fans have too much time and too much access to prospects. Ten or 20 years ago, we'd all just shrug our shoulders and write this off as JBOT and GMTM knowing their shiz and not think much of it. Now we all can watch highlights and compare stats, even through they are used incorrectly more often than not. Things like this lead to conclusions like this: (he's going to be Jonathan Drouin)

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/1/18/10784936/sabres-links-varones-great-return-parents-trip-begins-cornel-scores#comments

So I have been trying to figure out where all the hub bub about this kid came from. My only conclusion is that fans have too much time and too much access to prospects. Ten or 20 years ago, we'd all just shrug our shoulders and write this off as JBOT and GMTM knowing their shiz and not think much of it. Now we all can watch highlights and compare stats, even through they are used incorrectly more often than not. Things like this lead to conclusions like this: (he's going to be Jonathan Drouin)

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/1/18/10784936/sabres-links-varones-great-return-parents-trip-begins-cornel-scores#comments

One can keep a level head and still want him signed. He's improved steadily and has an outside shot at the NHL. All signs point to him having a good chance at helping Rochester. We aren't near the contract limit. Usually these guys get signed.

No one is saying he is the next Drouin. Everyone wonders why not sign a potentially good player who has improved each season since drafted and plays a position we need more depth at in the organization. It's really that simple.

No one is saying he is the next Drouin. Everyone wonders why not sign a potentially good player who has improved each season since drafted and plays a position we need more depth at in the organization. It's really that simple.

I'm not for or against the signing but someone in the comment section I linked literally said he's going to be Jonathan Drouin.

I'm not for or against the signing but someone in the comment section I linked literally said he's going to be Jonathan Drouin.

Die By the Blade isn't Sabrespace. No one here said that.

Edit: 5pm no announcement on Possler and Estephan. Oh well.

Edited by GASabresFan