The Potential Signing of Giorgio Estephan

Thorny

Giorgio Estephan (2015, 6th Round - no known relation to Gloria) remains exclusive Sabres property until only June 1 of this calendar year, unless he is inkman'd to an entry level contract by then.

Do people believe he is still in line for a deal? Do we think he has the potential to maybe eventually play for the Sabres? Failing that, certainly he could be a useful add for Rochester? The kid has talent, from what I have seen of him. His point totals have increased nicely since being drafted. Perhaps he has the potential to turn out like some of those later round picks currently skating for the Pens in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Or does this whole thing illicit nothing more than a great big "meh"?

Time is a tickin' on Giorgio.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=131304

"A slippery offensive center with tons of skill and offensive prowess. When he is confident with the puck, he can pull off moves that open up a lot of time and space for himself and teammates. Can create a lot of dangerous chances through utilizing his smooth skating and knowledge of the offensive end. Continues to get better in his own end, defensively and physically. All-in-all, a smart, hard-working center who continues to improve in all areas, game by game, and is not far off from becoming a complete, well-rounded hockey player who can dominate offensively. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

What is odd about this one is the lack of legitimate discussion.

Haven't seen a single bit of news or informed speculation.

IMO, his ceiling is Phil Varone, but hey, the Amerks have needs too.

What is odd about this one is the lack of legitimate discussion.

Haven't seen a single bit of news or informed speculation.

IMO, his ceiling is Phil Varone, but hey, the Amerks have needs too.

Ya, I mean, as far as I have read/listened to, no one has brought the situation to Mr. Botterill's attention in any of the various media availabilities he's had since being hired.

My bad. I thought he was a lot smaller. Two things, though,

1) they still could sign him

2) you don't waste 1 of your 50 if you think his upside is AHL.

Both certainly true.

He's a 6th round pick. We're comparing his stats to a bust of a pick. Why do I keep seeing this guys name show up??

Long summer.

Both certainly true.

Long summer.

The guy had 24 pts in 18 playoff games last season. His is strong and fast and isn't small. To compare him to the 5'10 Varone isn't a fair comparison. He has earned a pro opportunity. We have no contract limit issues and a desperate need for centers in the organization outisde the top 2 in Buffalo. To not sign him is simply dumb. He'll sign somewhere and in the right place he has a very good chance of surprising to the upside.

In the Amerks thread we talked about our failure to draft and develop players after the 2nd rd. How do you build depth in the organization if you don't give players like Estephan a chance.

The guy had 24 pts in 18 playoff games last season. His is strong and fast and isn't small. To compare him to the 5'10 Varone isn't a fair comparison. He has earned a pro opportunity. We have no contract limit issues and a desperate need for centers in the organization outisde the top 2 in Buffalo. To not sign him is simply dumb. He'll sign somewhere and in the right place he has a very good chance of surprising to the upside.

In the Amerks thread we talked about our failure to draft and develop players after the 2nd rd. How do you build depth in the organization if you don't give players like Estephan a chance.

Have to agree with this.

Good lord man. We're talking about Giorgio estephan. I mean even my autocorret wants to change it to estrogen. It's Giorgio estephan. I know it's may 26th. I know we wish it was October 10th. But Jesus, we're talking Giorgio estephan. Woooooooooooo friggen cares.....he won't go somewhere else and haunt us. I'm a guy that gets caught up in our prospects and usually overrate them. I don't give two shits if we sign him or not. It's a 6th rounder who has been ok. Let's stop wasting our time here. I've heard this dudes name like 20 times in the last week. I'm almost positive after July I'll never here his name again so long as I shall live.

Good lord man. We're talking about Giorgio estephan. I mean even my autocorret wants to change it to estrogen. It's Giorgio estephan. I know it's may 26th. I know we wish it was October 10th. But Jesus, we're talking Giorgio estephan. Woooooooooooo friggen cares.....he won't go somewhere else and haunt us. I'm a guy that gets caught up in our prospects and usually overrate them. I don't give two shits if we sign him or not. It's a 6th rounder who has been ok. Let's stop wasting our time here. I've heard this dudes name like 20 times in the last week. I'm almost positive after July I'll never here his name again so long as I shall live.

You need to wait till next Thursday to make this post and another 40-80 posts, man up and grin and bear it. :) Its the off season, what else are we gonna talk about.... I am ok signing the guy and seeing what he has, it can't hurt... that being said if the evaluaters say no, than so be it.

Edited by North Buffalo

:lol:

I concur

I don't think it's fair to prematurely and completely write him off just because he was picked in the 6th round. If they picked him, doesn't that mean they thought that with improvement he had a chance at an NHL job? If not, why waste the pick on him? He's done nothing but improve statistically since then. That's expected, but it's been a fairly sizeable jump. If they don't sign him, after he's developed as well as could be hoped thus far, I don't see the point of the pick in the first place. Unless Murray and Botterill are significantly apart on the evaluation.

Scott Wilson is skating a regular shift for the Pens this post-season. 7th round pick. As are the undrafted Rowney and Sheary. I get that it's much more likely Estephan will amount to nothing, but personally I think the situation can merit at least a little discussion. Non-zero chance the player could make a future contribution to the roster.

We won't hit that 50 limit anyways.

He's 6' 190lbs, so he isn't small. Considering the lack of players with talent in Rochester I def sign him.

We won't hit that 50 limit anyways.

He's 6' 190lbs, so he isn't small. Considering the lack of players with talent in Rochester I def sign him.

Jason Pominville had those measurements and he was considered small. Dustin Brown, the same measurement and was called a power forward. It really depends on their game.

I'd be more concerned about Possler than I would Estephan

The curious case of Gustav Possler. Possler was drafted in the 5th round of the 2013 draft. a 6' winger with speed, he seemed to slide because he was from Sweden and not enough scouts got a look at him. In his first year post draft he did quite while jumping from MODO J20 to MODO and having a good season 22games 8g, 7a, 15pts. He injured his knee though and MODO can correct me where I go wrong. For the next 3 seasons he battled injuries and put up mediocre numbers. He has plateaued at the 24pt in 52 games mark.  Now I would like him to come to NA because I think he would do well here but his injury issues are a problem. That said he is now 22 with almost 4 years of pro experience (4 seasons (some injury shortened) in the SHL). 

While I sort of agree with this, threads on esoteric Sabres topics like this one are actually what make this message board interesting to me.

If you aren't interested in the topic, simply avoid it.

To be honest, the only reason I clicked here was because of the anticipation of a juicy Gloria Estefan joke. I leave here disappointed.