Dear NHL, please bring back...

PASabreFan

The goal judge.

...as opposed to the goal light guy.  Yeah.

How about letting teams, when they build new rinks....not have to conform to a certain ice size?  I'm not saying to let them go wild, but I liked the baseball-like 'home ice advantage' that Buffalo, Boston, Chicago could have with their smaller rinks....I'm pretty sure Montreal had one of the larger ones too.  Adds a tad bit of strategy to the game.

I like that idea.  Also, vary the radius in the corners, from one continuous semicircle that ends out by the face-off dots, to the smallest radius a Zamboni can handle.

Take the nets down above the glass.

Seriously?  You know why they're there, right?

1 thru 16 seeding for the playoffs. 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc...

Rewards teams for having good seasons, and final 2 are the best two remaining teams.

Someone came up with the idea of the top 4 teams in each conference selecting their opponent from the bottom 4.  I like that; could build some good rivalries.

Edited by Doohickie

Home whites and away darks.

Maybe they already have, but I can't tell.

They should at least give the home team the option. At the beginning of the season each team tells the league what color they will wear at home. I prefer home whites also

They should at least give the home team the option. At the beginning of the season each team tells the league what color they will wear at home. I prefer home whites also

I think the home team should have the option, and notify their opponents on a game-by-game basis.  So if we know the Bruins prefer to wear their whites, we should be able to make them wear their darks by wearing whites at home against them (even if it isn't our preference).  I like the idea of showing off whites, colors, and thirds for the home fans, and picking which to wear based on the opponent.

I think the home team should have the option, and notify their opponents on a game-by-game basis.  So if we know the Bruins prefer to wear their whites, we should be able to make them wear their darks by wearing whites at home against them (even if it isn't our preference).  I like the idea of showing off whites, colors, and thirds for the home fans, and picking which to wear based on the opponent.

Tough to do a game by game basis if one team is on a long road trip having to bring both uniforms

...as opposed to the goal light guy. Yeah.

I like that idea. Also, vary the radius in the corners, from one continuous semicircle that ends out by the face-off dots, to the smallest radius a Zamboni can handle.

Seriously? You know why they're there, right?

Someone came up with the idea of the top 4 teams in each conference selecting their opponent from the bottom 4. I like that; could build some good rivalries.

Yeah I know why the nets are there. It was more fun when they weren't there tho, more pucks in the stands is good for the game.

Or leave the nets in place, but allow pucks to stay in play.

For the playoff format why not just use a lottery? Set the odds by were you finish in the standings. Will prevent tanking right?

Goal horns and canons (Columbus).  I remember in the Aud, Milt Ellis would announce that artificial noisemakers were prohibited. 

Sorry, read the post as "get rid of".

Edited by Tondas

Exactly! Scoring is the reason I want the trapezoid kicked to the curb. Plus, I don't like watching a goalie standing around waiting on a player(s) get something going.

It would have opposite effect. It was done because too many goalies like Brouder were so good at handling the puck, they would go in the corner and pass it back out, thus negating the dump and chase.

It would have opposite effect. It was done because too many goalies like Brouder were so good at handling the puck, they would go in the corner and pass it back out, thus negating the dump and chase.

Good! F--- the dump and chase. Skate the puck in.

Edited by ubkev

Brodeur was one of a few goalies that could effectively pull that off. He instinctively knew when to play it and when not to. Not as easy as it sounds.

Edited by GoPre

Home whites, obviously.

Peter Puck.

The early 70's playoff format (modified for 4 divisions) where in you play in division 1st round, in conference 2nd round, cross conference 3rd round, & last 2 standing meet in the Finals. This way, when Buffalo & Ottawa are the 2 best teams in the league, they'll be able to meet in the Finals rather than the Quarter Finals.

Goalies being allowed to play the puck anywhere in their 1/2 of the ice (we don't need the next Gary Smith trying to score on a rush) but have them be subject to body contact if they do play it ouside the crease. Blowing them up will still be a penalty, but if they want the puck on their stick an opposing player should be allowed to remove the puck from them (just not them from reality).

Now that there is hybrid icing, bring the goal line back to 10' from the end boards (as opposed to 11'). Player safety will not be impacted for all intents & purposes, @ scoring chances will increase as pucks shot wide will be back in front of the net a smidge quicker & @ better angles.

Along w/ that 1' move of the goal line, bring the blue lines 3' closer to the end boards. When the goal lines were moved from 13' to 11', the blue lines stayed put. Get the rink dimensions back to what they should be. Shots from the point will be that much quicker, & errant passes to the D will be more readily converted into odd man rushes the other way. Both will increase scoring.

Home whites, obviously.

Peter Puck.

The early 70's playoff format (modified for 4 divisions) where in you play in division 1st round, in conference 2nd round, cross conference 3rd round, & last 2 standing meet in the Finals. This way, when Buffalo & Ottawa are the 2 best teams in the league, they'll be able to meet in the Finals rather than the Quarter Finals.

Goalies being allowed to play the puck anywhere in their 1/2 of the ice (we don't need the next Gary Smith trying to score on a rush) but have them be subject to body contact if they do play it ouside the crease. Blowing them up will still be a penalty, but if they want the puck on their stick an opposing player should be allowed to remove the puck from them (just not them from reality).

Now that there is hybrid icing, bring the goal line back to 10' from the end boards (as opposed to 11'). Player safety will not be impacted for all intents & purposes, @ scoring chances will increase as pucks shot wide will be back in front of the net a smidge quicker & @ better angles.

Along w/ that 1' move of the goal line, bring the blue lines 3' closer to the end boards. When the goal lines were moved from 13' to 11', the blue lines stayed put. Get the rink dimensions back to what they should be. Shots from the point will be that much quicker, & errant passes to the D will be more readily converted into odd man rushes the other way. Both will increase scoring.

I very much agree with all of this. Well stated.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.