Did Pegula over-react regarding EXGMTM???

Sabre fan

I still wonder if Tim Murray was not actually doing a pretty good job and deserved at least one more year at the helm. He clearly was the man who was in pursuit of KHL d-man Antipin who looks pretty darn good and only 245 years old.I have no doubt he would have also pursued a free agent d-man such as DelZotto or Alzner or whoever, and with Antipin and one other free-agent d-man along with Guhle the d would suddenly be quite possibly a strong point moving forward.

EXGMTM made some great moves for the Sabres, obviously getting OReilly in a steal and also adding kane for Myers who continues to disappoint. The other guys in that package were basically for Bogo so that's a wash, but Bogo may excel under a new coach yet. 

I do think and agree we needed a new coach who would not shove a worn out, outdated system down the players throat, but it seems that Tim Murray was quite possibly on the right track all along. I wonder if he actually stood by Blysma so then Pegula fired both? Can't help but wonder and would find it ironic if a new President and/or GM says he wants Timmy back...would Pegula allow that? Just wondering...

I suspect that it was a straight-up business decision based on metrics.  TPegs wanted year-on-year improvement, FGMTM failed to deliver.  I would have given him another year, but I also don't blame TPegs for pulling the plug now if FGMTM didn't meet his performance goals.  TPegs is a business guy.  That's how businesses are run.  He's caught a lot of flak for being a fan-boy and letting it cloud his judgment.  This firing is, to me, a signal that he's running the Sabres the way he runs a business.  FGMTM knew what he'd be graded against, failed to meet the goal, and was let go.  Business.

I was surprised when TM was let go, but no I don't think tpegs overreacted. My guess is that TM couldn't adequately defend himself in relation to how last season ended, and that the exit interviews of the players played a part in it too. Most importantly, if TM wanted to still stand by DB, that alone is solid enough reason to relieve him of his duties.

LaFontaine hired TM, and TM hired DB. Tpegs even stated that he regrets not being involved enough in the hiring process. Unfortunately, that seems to have soured him on the having a POHO now.

I'm very fearful of his replacement. Murray has a terrific eye for talent and that will bear fruit in the next few years. Finding his equal in that department won't be easy.

This. He wasn't supposed to be the people person. LaLa was. Terry did not replace Pat and that's on him. That said, there are others with his level of skill. I just hope TPegs doesn't discount the need for that on their resume.

No, he didn't over react

TM has done nothing special, any idiot can dismantle a team and make them a complete joke/embarassment to get a high pick. Otherwise he was a collosal failure who spent the rest of the time over paying in FA and in trades to build a roster that still couldn't get any better results on the ice.

I'm very fearful of his replacement. Murray has a terrific eye for talent and that will bear fruit in the next few years. Finding his equal in that department won't be easy.

The new GM will get credit for future accomplishments but a lot of it will be with Murray's "assets".

An example that pops into my head is Chicago, Bowman has managed the cap and won 3 cups but Tallon acquired or drafted a lot of the core.

It's too bad we can't keep TM as head scout.

I think I would have preferred a hockey guy with strong people and organizational skills coming in over Tim, leaving Tim to do what he does best: judge hockey players.

The new GM will get credit for future accomplishments but a lot of it will be with Murray's "assets".

An example that pops into my head is Chicago, Bowman has managed the cap and won 3 cups but Tallon acquired or drafted a lot of the core.

It's too bad we can't keep TM as head scout.

We can just hope the new guy recognizes the talent that's here and polishes the flaws in the organization while adding the few missing pieces.

This. He wasn't supposed to be the people person. LaLa was. Terry did not replace Pat and that's on him. That said, there are others with his level of skill. I just hope TPegs doesn't discount the need for that on their resume.

Boy, maybe I missed the theme of the Pegula press conference: Communication, Character, ...

TM is gone because the structure was in shambles:

• The coach lost the team.
  • The players didn't put forth a consistent effort (which I think was on TM, DD, and the players.)
  • The GM had to put a disciplinary plan in place for the team with 10 games remaining in the season.
  • Reports that Eichel had a rift with DD.

TM was very brash. He was not a people person. Terry didn't like that. The forwardness and brevity that we liked ("Buffalo selects Jack Eichel") cost him his job.

I think if TM was a "good guy" he would have been given another year. The team could have used another defenseman or two and that is on Murray, but a "good guy" would be able to say -- 'Terry, the asking price at the trade deadline was too high. Next year, we will have Guhle and I have the fast-track on Antipin. I will look at additional options in the summer.'

TM didn't have a personality and style conducive to how Terry operates.

Boy, maybe I missed the theme of the Pegula press conference: Communication, Character, ...

TM is gone because the structure was in shambles:

• The coach lost the team.
  • The players didn't put forth a consistent effort (which I think was on TM, DD, and the players.)
  • The GM had to put a disciplinary plan in place for the team with 10 games remaining in the season.
  • Reports that Eichel had a rift with DD.

TM was very brash. He was not a people person. Terry didn't like that. The forwardness and brevity that we liked ("Buffalo selects Jack Eichel") cost him his job.

I think if TM was a "good guy" he would have been given another year. The team could have used another defenseman or two and that is on Murray, but a "good guy" would be able to say -- 'Terry, the asking price at the trade deadline was too high. Next year, we will have Guhle and I have the fast-track on Antipin. I will look at additional options in the summer.'

TM didn't have a personality and style conducive to how Terry operates.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

The way I understand it he is still under contract with the Sabres, or at least being paid by TP and why not just transfer him or demote him to chief of scouting?  he clearly is pretty darn good at that side of the hockey operations.

yes.

From what was said Pegula asked how he planned on fixing the problems and he didn't seem to have many answers...how could he keep him if he had no idea how to fix the issues? That's his job...

What if the answer was, "there is no way to fix it immediately but next year we will push for the playoffs and will contend when we clear some contracts and the prospects develop?" The one thing I admired about Murray was he refused to look for a short term fix that added nothing long term, he wasn't always correct with his long term bets but that is a mandatory trait for long term success.

What if the answer was, "there is no way to fix it immediately but next year we will push for the playoffs and will contend when we clear some contracts and the prospects develop?" The one thing I admired about Murray was he refused to look for a short term fix that added nothing long term, he wasn't always correct with his long term bets but that is a mandatory trait for long term success.

totally agreed...Timmy no doubt didn't offer promises he knew he could not keep...at best this team may compete for a playoff spot next year with a few moves but it will take a few more years for any real gains as we certainly need to remove some aging vets and their bloated contracts with younger faster guys. Guhle will be a great add and Antipin sounds good but who knows? There were and are no quick-fix answers and this will still, whether we (and terry) likes it or not, take time

I won't start a new thread. I just wanted to say I am most pleased with the Pegulas and their ability to both show some patience while at the same time demanding results.

Shi-t or get off of the pot!!!!

Changes are, were and have been necessary with both teams. Good for Terry and Kim. Now go and get us the winners!

I won't start a new thread. I just wanted to say I am most pleased with the Pegulas and their ability to both show some patience while at the same time demanding results.

Changes are, were and have been necessary with both teams. Good for Terry and Kim. Now go and get us the winners!

Yes indeed.

I will be the first to pat them on the back when the franchises are fixed. But no way should people forget that they are cleaning up their own mess. You have to admit, Terry's "I gotta get involved here" act is pretty ballsy.

I will be the first to pat them on the back when the franchises are fixed. But no way should people forget that they are cleaning up their own mess. You have to admit, Terry's "I gotta get involved here" act is pretty ballsy.

I have no complaints on that, afterall, if I bought a cordless drill for example, and it didn't get all the tasks completed I needed, I'd replace it with a tool that does.

I've watched the board for a bit before joining, I think I understand some of the regular posters positions, including yours PA.

While it's fair game to critique the ownership style to date, even a pessimist such as yourself must admit, it's wholly more entertaining this way then it was for a half dozen years or so. There is entertainment value in discussing an unexpected journey in to the future, filled with fear, excitement, ponderance and the joy of imagination at the unknown.

It all culminates in to the journey we are sharing with the Pegulas, as owners and fans. I for one am extremely optimistic that the sun will rise tomorrow, a new era of leadership at the helms of the respective sports clubs will alter the future and change the Buffalo sports fan destiny in to one filled with Lombardi and Stanley Cup trophies!

I dare to dream, I dream to believe!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.