The Character Assassination of Jack Eichel

LGR4GM

Ok, I'm not hitched to the idea that Eichel was lobbying the Pegulas for Bylsma's fire.  It looked like a number of players gave up on Bylsma and his system sometime in February.  That doesn't equate to actively demanding he be fired. 

But now there is clearly a national perception that Jack Eichel was behind Bylsma's fall;  it was being discussed at ESPN's website yesterday.  False or not.   The timing of the firing didn't help that perception.  

If Pegula had a strong track record of doing what he says he'll do,  I'd buy into what he says a little more.

Pegula doesn't help his credibility by saying one thing, and doing otherwise - that's what I'm pointing out -  in my book he hasn't established rapport or credibility with fans or media;  it's hard for me to forget the cloud of BS and dissembling that surrounded Ryan's firing a few months back. 

Makes for a better story. They said the same thing about Sidney Crosby and Bylsma in Pittsburgh. How'd that work out?

Right.

And he said that Bylsma and Murray both did a good job.   But he fired them.   

And he said that he hates to fire people - and yet he does so frequently and abruptly. 

And he's said Brandon has no involvement in operations - despite the fact that Brandon was deeply involved in Bills' operations in the recent past, and his titles and power and scope have been increased since Pegula took over both teams. 

Do we believe this guy?

And as I stated - IF Eichel was innocent of pushing for Bylsma's fire,  Pegula totally mishandled the situation by firing them so soon after the report surfaced.  It sure makes Eichel look guilty of it, and look like a liar.

More dysfunction

I do. You are free not to.

I'm starting to think that Pegula was right, the media in this town is the problem.

WhatTF was PHam doing putting that tweet out when he did if it happened during the season? What garbage. Jack has said the right thing every step of the way the entire season.

Well, if our intrepid reporter only managed to unearth this earth-shattering revelation yesterday, rather than during the season, it would be 1 explanation as to why he didn't reveal it earlier.

Which would basically imply that he isn't very good at his job as it would (most probably) have been revealed to him by somebody with either an axe to grind or a narrative to sell. (Had he been good at his job & the assertation true, he likely would've found it out earlier & through journalistic methods rather than through unnamed sources bringing it up now.)

The sad part, for the media, IF in fact Murray or someone else in the front office is the source of the story, is that the media really genuinely seem to like Murray & one of thrir own may have inadvertently sealed his fate. (IF the speculation here that someone from the front office or coaching staff was the source is in fact correct.) & this post is, & should be considered, speculation as well. :p

Well, if our intrepid reporter only managed to unearth this earth-shattering revelation yesterday, rather than during the season, it would be 1 explanation as to why he didn't reveal it earlier.

Which would basically imply that he isn't very good at his job as it would (most probably) have been revealed to him by somebody with either an axe to grind or a narrative to sell. (Had he been good at his job & the assertation true, he likely would've found it out earlier & through journalistic methods rather than through unnamed sources bringing it up now.)

The sad part, for the media, IF in fact Murray or someone else in the front office is the source of the story, is that the media really genuinely seem to like Murray & one of thrir own may have inadvertently sealed his fate. (IF the speculation here that someone from the front office or coaching staff was the source is in fact correct.) & this post is, & should be considered, speculation as well. :P

Even if he just learned of it yesterday, he needed to probe his source and report on the when, where, why, and how it was said.  I learned that in the fourth grade.

Even if he just learned of it yesterday, he needed to probe his source and report on the when, where, why, and how it was said.  I learned that in the fourth grade.

Ah the old probe :)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=probe&t=iphone&iax=1&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arww-rfmicro.com%2Fpressreleases%2F110629%2FFL7218.jpg

Terry Pegula openly calls the reports Eichel wanted Bylsma fired as a complete fabrication. 

Nice try, Terr. That wasn't the report. The report was that Eichel said he wouldn't sign an extension this offseason if Bylsma were still the coach. Classic obfuscation.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Hammy must have had an unimpeachable source. He staked his reputation on it, and Eichel's. This wasn't the security guard at the players' entrance.

Edited by PASabreFan

Nice try, Terr. That wasn't the report. The report was that Eichel said he wouldn't sign an extension this offseason if Bylsma were still the coach. Classic obfuscation.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Hammy must have had an unimpeachable source. He staked his reputation on it, and Eichel's. This wasn't the security guard at the players' entrance.

in' Hammy.

Don't understand his motivation for reporting that about Eichel... even if Eichel did in fact say that... it's not something you report to the public, leave that to his agent if in fact that's his true intentions.

How Eichel and Hammy can co-exist going forward, I don't know, and that first interview is going to be super awkward for both.    I wouldn't blame Eichel for just giving him one word answers from here on out. 

Not for nothing but what the does espn have to say about the situation? They tried to kill hockey when it came back after the strike and haven't broadcast the NHL since. There might be a few hockey "experts" still over there but them. I'm with Jack Eichel on this, he will lead the Sabres to the promise land, not alone but he will be a big part of anything won in the future.

I'm going out on a limb now. 100 points for Jack next year! Playoffs for the Sabres!

P Ham let slip this AM that his source was a teammate.

And I wonder how much of that sources statement sounded like " if I were Jack I wouldn't want to sign long term if Bylsma was the coach?"  I have no reason to trust Hamilton.

And I wonder how much of that sources statement sounded like " if I were Jack I wouldn't want to sign long term if Bylsma was the coach?"  I have no reason to trust Hamilton.

That would be a fabrication.

Still trying to figure out how Pegula knew Hamilton fabricated the story.

Sounds like Jack very likely made the statement, but made it in confidence and had no intention of using it against Byslma.

That would be a fabrication.

Still trying to figure out how Pegula knew Hamilton fabricated the story.

Sounds like Jack very likely made the statement, but made it in confidence and had no intention of using it against Byslma.

Sounded like maybe, I think Paul even said something like "it could have just been a case of a 19 year old spouting off in the locker room." 

Like 10 mins in:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-24-paul-hamilton-howard-and-jeremymp3

It's entirely possible that Eichel said something in a moment of frustration to a teammate, much like if I'm having a ###### day at work I'll come home and say, screw it, I'm done with this. Then I get up the next day and go back to work.

EDIT: remove profanity; I expected the filter to catch it.

Edited by MattPie

It's entirely possible that Eichel said something in a moment of frustration to a teammate, much like if I'm having a shiity day at work I'll come home and say, screw it, I'm done with this. Then I get up the next day and go back to work.

You mean like he is a human and was ... MAD ABOUT LOSING. "I am so frustrated with my boss (bylsma), if they don't get rid of them I'm done! (Not signing an extension)." This thing was blown out of proportion and was a character assassination. Why? Idk maybe Jack wasn't nice enough to the media. Didn't one media member say the gloves were coming off?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.