Tim Murray Promises Eichel

WildCard

So Murray promised Eichel this team will get better; that we will be a playoff team and a contender. Does that mean immediate changes? If so, where? Anyone else find it interesting that he had to promise Jack specifically that?

Again, like my LeBron example in the press conference thread, Eichel is the type of player you need to prioritize keeping happy as that skill is impossible to replace. Tossing out a coach for another decent coach to appease your superstar player is far more preferable to losing your star in FA because he was displeased. The first is commonplace in sports (but kind of ), the second gets you immediately fired as GM and blacklisted from ever working again.

Basketball is a lot different though. That's a sport specifically designed where the coach is only there to manage egos and locker rooms. Hockey, not so much

I readily admit that basketball is different - the size of the team (only having ~10 players that play) means having top end talent is that much more important, especially when your star can play 80% of the teams minutes. 

I do think the example is comparable in that the difference between an engaged, motivated, happy Eichel and a pissed off one who looks disinterested makes a huge difference in team morale and wins/losses at the end of the year.

I really think there are only a handful of impact coaches in the league and then all the others fall into two buckets - decent (neutral win impact) and bad (negative win impact). Most of the NHL coaches are in the neutral category, with varying flavors of systems they all would get the same wins from equal talent. I don't mind swapping neutral coaches to appease a star player.  

Basketball is a lot different though. That's a sport specifically designed where the coach is only there to manage egos and locker rooms. Hockey, not so much

I don't claim to know that much about basketball (hell, I don't know that much about hockey), but I think this idea that NBA coaches are just babysitters is in accurate. Look at the difference between the way Golden State plays versus the San Antonio Spurs. Sure, that's partially who you have on the team (Tim Duncan and Steph Curry might actually be from different planets), but just like any sport, coming up with how to effectively use those players is very important.

So Murray promised Eichel this team will get better; that we will be a playoff team and a contender. Does that mean immediate changes? If so, where? Anyone else find it interesting that he had to promise Jack specifically that?

I posted in the trade speculation thread I expect a big, and extremely controversial, move for a defenseman.

And you're totally wrong about basketball coaches :p

I posted in the trade speculation thread I expect a big, and extremely controversial, move for a defenseman.

And you're totally wrong about basketball coaches :p

True I hope you're right. Although our bait is few... I'll be sad if it's Sam.

GMTM must cut the dead weight... Moulson, bogo, Franson have to go. I'll give Kuli one more year.

Does anybody here honestly think this is GMTM's finished product?   

It's obvious to us and obvious to him what changes need to be made (defense, high energy/defensively aware bottom 6).    He mentioned the shots against is a problem, as well as the PK.    He knows, we know.    I'm confident he'll make the necessary changes... but I'm not expecting everything to be fixed this offseason, it will probably take another offseason to purge the dead weight.  

True I hope you're right. Although our bait is few... I'll be sad if it's Sam.

GMTM must cut the dead weight... Moulson, bogo, Franson have to go. I'll give Kuli one more year.

Kulikov's contract is up and I think Murray doesn't want Sam around anymore.

The NHL Network had a feature where Brian Lawton was talking about the state of the game and the impact of younger players. He said it's different times around the league now, players have more influence and are being asked their input on all things nowadays. He said without saying who that some coaches have been relieved of duties based on players concerns.

This sounds like it falls in line with that statement.

The NHL Network had a feature where Brian Lawton was talking about the state of the game and the impact of younger players. He said it's different times around the league now, players have more influence and are being asked their input on all things nowadays. He said without saying who that some coaches have been relieved of duties based on players concerns.

And that would be Byslma in Pittsburgh 

This is what happens when "Participation Trophies" get handed out at a young age.

This is what happens when "Participation Trophies" get handed out at a young age.

Nah. It's what happens when coaches don't change with the game. Kids are a lot better trained and smarter about systems and whatnot than they ever used to be. Gone are the days when the coach was a dictator. There's a lot more collaboration going on now.

Was I the only kid/millennial who felt extreme shame when given one of those? Everyone I knew who got a participation trophy/ribbon would hide/throw it away because it was concrete evidence you DIDN'T win. Like this awful, pitying reminder that you sucked/failed. No one ever congratulated you for getting the equivalent of this:

060.png

Never gave anyone I knew this inflated sense of self worth. Always felt like a strawman for a generational "darn kids these days".

Sorry, 2 cents derailment there, continue on haha 

Nah. It's what happens when coaches don't change with the game. Kids are a lot better trained and smarter about systems and whatnot than they ever used to be. Gone are the days when the coach was a dictator. There's a lot more collaboration going on now.

that and the young players are being counted on in today's game like never before

You too, Chz?

The participation trophy thing has always been . Just an expression of crusty old people digging in their heels and resisting progress. Much in the same way that social security is a right, while healthcare is an "entitlement."

that and the young players are being counted on in today's game like never before

Yup. The game has changed. Kids are working their nuts off like never before, and at lower and lower levels of the sport.

If people want to bandy around the "participation trophy" rhetoric then all I gotta say to that is: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.