Eichel misses $2MM bonus for not hitting pt/game mark

PromoTheRobot

Missed out by .005

http://deadspin.com/jack-eichel-missed-out-on-a-2-million-contract-bonus-b-1794201575

Young Sabres center Jack Eichel missed 21 games with an ankle injury, eventually finishing this season with 24 goals and 33 assists, good for 57 points in 61 games. That’s a 0.934 points per game average, which was 11th in the NHL this season, just behind Leon Draisaitl’s 0.939. As infinitesimal as that 0.005 margin was, it will cost Eichel $2 million.

Do the Sabres give it to him anyway?

Missed out by .005

http://deadspin.com/jack-eichel-missed-out-on-a-2-million-contract-bonus-b-1794201575

Do they? idk

Should they, no. 

"Jack, you were almost a point per game player this season..." Reporter

"But I wasn't" - Jack

He didn't earn it and therefore should not receive it. Actions have consequences and if this does bother him, good. 

Missed out by .005

Great question. Maybe split the difference, giving the other half to charity? You can't buy PR that good. And it makes your future (or present) superstar very happy. It's also a form of fan appreciation. Everyone likes Jack.

Do they? idk

Should they, no. 

"Jack, you were almost a point per game player this season..." Reporter

"But I wasn't" - Jack

He didn't earn it and therefore should not receive it. Actions have consequences and if this does bother him, good. 

But the bonus isn't for being a point per game player.

because I looked it up:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=0&gameType=2&report=skatersummary&pos=S&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=pointsPerGame

Stamkos (17 games played) and two other players (1 games each) were actually ahead of him, too, so without filtering by minimum # of games played, Jack actually shows up as 14th.

Great question. Maybe split the difference, giving the other half to charity? You can't buy PR that good. And it makes your future (or present) superstar very happy. It's also a form of fan appreciation. Everyone likes Jack.

But the bonus isn't for being a point per game player.

Jack isn't happy with his performance, he is pissed the season is over. I would pour more salt in his wound and def not give him that bonus, translate his words...

"jack you almost were one of the top 10 ppg players in the league"

"...but I wasn't." That should be his wake up call. but I wasn't. Jack you almost, but I didn't. Jack you were almost the, but I wasn't. Jack the team almost, but we didn't. 

That is the important take away. He isn't going to deal with the almosts. Do or do not, there is no try. Jack hates losing, and he lost. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Were we all aware of this potential $2 million bonus before this story started getting so much play? I don't recall any discussion about it. Was Jack?

This failure of Jack to achieve this bonus is pretty much the most popular thing being mentioned in the current news cycle and twittersphere right now, in regards to Eichel. For my money it's the largely the Canadian media trying to frame Jack's excellent season in a negative light: nearly all the headlines are about how Edmonton's Draisaitl (and McDavid himself! ...in many headlines) prevented that lowly Sabres guy from achieving something positive, by scoring two points in the season's final game.

It's largely aribitrary seeing how little Jack missed 10th by. It's more spin.

It irks me, as Eichel's great season is one of the ONLY positives in this dreadful season.

Edited by Thorny

I had a professor in organic chemistry, she would give you every opportunity for help, office hours, even after hours, etc..

If you failed the exam by 0.001% you failed, plain and simple, a lot of people were upset, but it was fair and they didn't put the work in.

He didn't meet criteria, plain and simple ,try again next year.

We live in an entitled age, I don't want to add to it.

I doubt that they could, even if they wanted to. Compensation for players is completely controlled within the CBA, including performance bonuses. They can't just give players more money when they want to.

Not only that but giving him the bonus would put them over the cap and the overage would be deducted from next years cap

I had a professor in organic chemistry, she would give you every opportunity for help, office hours, even after hours, etc..

If you failed the exam by 0.001% you failed, plain and simple, a lot of people were upset, but it was fair and they didn't put the work in.

He didn't meet criteria, plain and simple ,try again next year.

We live in an entitled age, I don't want to add to it.

Why are you acting like Jack asked for his bonus? And why are you talking like you're GMTM and you're speaking directly to Jack Eichel?

Why are you acting like Jack asked for his bonus? And why are you talking like you're GMTM and you're speaking directly to Jack Eichel?

I'm not acting like anything, I'm simply responding to posts on a message board, I wish I could be GMTM and make that money and run a hockey team...

I'm equating his missing out of a bonus to a real life situation, since when is that a crime?

I'm not acting like anything, I'm simply responding to posts on a message board, I wish I could be GMTM and make that money and run a hockey team...

I'm equating his missing out of a bonus to a real life situation, since when is that a crime?

I read your tone as judgemental. I'm sick of people acting like Jack and Sam aren't allowed to have emotions and be pissed about a lost season like we are. Also, you finished the post referring to how entitled society is. Blech. The post pushed like 4 of my buttons at once.

(And I really aught to take a break)

I dunno, I understand where you are coming from on this one. I don't think the comparisons to regular-world failure are apt here, like somehow Jack missed the mark for something he "should have" achieved. It seems a shade negative that this is being discussed in terms of failure at all.

We should be viewing 11th in p/gp as a pretty nice achievement.

And I don't understand the sentiment that we would be playing into entitlement by paying Jack, as there is no indication he feels entitled to it at all.

There's no call at all to be made though, I'm sure no one in any way involved even debated it, as the criteria for the bonus are clearly laid out in the contract,

Edited by Thorny

I dunno, I understand where you are coming from on this one. I don't think the comparisons to regular-world failure are apt here, like somehow Jack missed the mark for something he "should have" achieved. It seems a shade negative that this is being discussed in terms of failure at all.

We should be viewing 11th in p/gp as a pretty nice achievement.

I'm not taking a break because I think I'm wrong, hahaha.

Whatever you want to call the angst about their character ever since Sam was benched.

You wanna talk about lack of character - have you seen Evander Kane's snapchat story? The team is at a house partying, playing basketball, listening to loud music...already! They should be crying and working out to prepare for next season! SMH we're never going anywhere with these guys

Oh and they also all hate each other and the locker room is a mess 

Edited by Randall Flagg

You wanna talk about lack of character - have you seen Evander Kane's snapchat story? The team is at a house partying, playing basketball, listening to loud music...already! They should be crying and working out to prepare for next season! SMH we're never going anywhere with these guys

Oh and they also all hate each other and the locker room is a mess 

:lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.