Who are the passengers?

dudacek

Qwk's quote actually fits very well with what I came on here to post:

After watching video, I think Jack's definition of passenger is different than Kane's is different from Gorges, is different than...

I think Jack is struggling with those around him not dealing with this adversity the same way as he is.

When the team talks about lacking maturity, I think a big part of it is three of its best players are having trouble adjusting to a new situation:

Kane has to learn being a good teammate isn't just about playing hard and staying out of trouble.

O'Reilly has to learn that being a leader is about more than demanding a lot of yourself and setting a good example.

And Eichel has to learn that success isn't always a result of doing it your way.

Qwk's quote actually fits very well with what I came on here to post:

After watching video, I think Jack's definition of passenger is different than Kane's is different from Gorges, is different than...

I think Jack is struggling with those around him not dealing with this adversity the same way as he is.

When the team talks about lacking maturity, I think a big part of it is three of its best players are having trouble adjusting to a new situation:

Kane has to learn being a good teammate isn't just about playing hard and staying out of trouble.

O'Reilly has to learn that being a leader is about more than demanding a lot of yourself and setting a good example.

And Eichel has to learn that success isn't always a result of doing it your way.

I actually think this might be spot on. I think Jack is struggling to understand why other players are not as opening cut up about it as he is. There is that photo of ROR still dressed in his kit when every other Colorado player had left after their loss in the playoffs, so it isn't like there aren't other players who take it hard.

I don't know if Jack was more emotional in his interview because that's him or because he lost $2 million a few hours before.

I can't help but wonder or think that these players are not so much "passengers" as they are opposed to the current coaching "system" and how they are being used...funny both Kulikov and Bogo played a whole lot better when Riosto was suspended and those two played huge minutes. It would seem Blysma's system gets virtually nothing out of too many players on the roster just as it seems this "system" did in Pittsburg where he was run out of town for dragging down that team.

Team chemistry comes from everyone having a role and embracing it.

I think that was a problem on this team: a lot of players were used in less than ideal ways and it led to frustration and second guessing.

Moulson got spot duty with the top six, 30 second shifts on the second PP and often played with grinders.

Same with Ennis.

Deslauriers barely saw the ice.

Bogosian was told to be safe and stay at home.

Franson rarely saw the power play

Sam was a sidekick

Girgensons was the proverbial square peg

Nilsson never got consecutive starts.

Falk and Fedun remained spare parts even when they outplayed the guys ahead of them

With one notable exception, the kids were given little rope and never got a defined role.

None of these guys were happy with their role.

ROR played all the time in all situations, no matter what

Risto played all the time in all situations, no matter what

Eichel had his own set of rules in terms of what he could do on the ice

Kane had his own set of rules in terms of how he prepared off the ice.

Foligno was frequently utilized on a scoring line

Gorges was frequently utilized

Kulikov was allowed "to play through it"

Rodrigues was given lots of rope and the third-line centre slot ahead of Girgensons and Sam.

All of these guys could have been the object of jealousy for their treatment.

McCabe, Lehner, Gionta, Larsson and Okposo (and some of you will disagree on Lehner and Larsson) seem to be the only players whose roles matched both their self-perception and that of their teammates.

When a team is losing, this is a recipe for pouting and clubhouse lawyering.

Edited by dudacek

Team chemistry comes from everyone having a role and embracing it.

I think that was a problem on this team: a lot of players were used in less than ideal ways and it led to frustration and second guessing.

Moulson got spot duty with the top six, 30 second shifts on the second PP and often played with grinders.

Same with Ennis.

Deslauriers barely saw the ice.

Bogosian was told to be safe and stay at home.

Franson rarely saw the power play

Sam was a sidekick

Girgensons was the proverbial square peg

Nilsson never got consecutive starts.

Falk and Fedun remained spare parts even when they outplayed the guys ahead of them

With one notable exception, the kids were given little rope and never got a defined role.

None of these guys were happy with their role.

ROR played all the time in all situations, no matter what

Risto played all the time in all situations, no matter what

Eichel had his own set of rules in terms of what he could do on the ice

Kane had his own set of rules in terms of how he prepared off the ice.

Foligno was frequently utilized on a scoring line

Gorges was frequently utilized

Kulikov was allowed "to play through it"

Rodrigues was given lots of rope and the third-line centre slot ahead of Girgensons and Sam.

All of these guys could have been the object of jealousy for their treatment.

McCabe, Lehner, Gionta, Larsson and Okposo (and some of you will disagree on Lehner and Larsson) seem to be the only players whose roles matched both their self-perception and that of their teammates.

When a team is losing, this is a recipe for pouting and clubhouse lawyering.

Good analysis and synopsis and I agree.

Begs the question though a lot of us have been saying, "Wouldn't a better Coach/system helped mitigate some of this disaster" .  

I'm wondeesing if he might even be calling out Reinhart...I was mostly unimpressed by his progress this year...5 on 5 he did next to nothing

It says right on your ticket you can get bumped. He got bumped. Take your $600, shut up, get off the plane and have a couple of drinks.

At that point, he's trespassing.

Right...so they can put their employees on board. What the hell other industry would sacrifice customers for their employees after the customer has paid that wants to stay in business?

They might be "right" but "right" doesn't always mean correct. Just because you can legally do something didn't mean you aren't committing "business suicide" by doing it.

Edited by matter2003

Speaking of passengers. Our friend Jack missed out on a $2mill bonus as he finished outside the top 10 (11th) in the NHL in points per game. Draisatl passed him on the final day. All Jack needed was a pt or 2 in the final 2 games to lock up the bonus. Sadly for him he mailed it in during the Florida swing and cost himself $2 mill. Not smart. No wonder he was angry.

This may sound like a little thing, but as a professional athlete there is never an excuse for mailing it in. In this case it cost Jack some pretty big money. In other cases it could cost them their job with the Sabres or even their NHL careers. The lack of professionalism on this Sabres team is astounding.

I have no problem saying Jack mailed it in. He was clearly out of it the last few games. What makes me roll my eyes are the takes that extrapolate that onto his character and that he's not a winner...and my personal favorite, that he hadn't earned the right to quit on his coach. What the F ever, man. Bylsma sucks. He knows Bylsma sucks. He's human.

How can you tell if they are not putting in full effort or if they just suck are playing Dan's system?

fify :flirt:

I'm not sure the best captains are the ones who play the hardest; there's more to it than that.  But if you start there, a letter should be on Kane's sweater.  The guy's all in, every shift, sometimes to his own detriment (like when he broke his ribs).

Edited by Doohickie

I have no problem saying Jack mailed it in. He was clearly out of it the last few games. What makes me roll my eyes are the takes that extrapolate that onto his character and that he's not a winner...and my personal favorite, that he hadn't earned the right to quit on his coach. What the F ever, man. Bylsma sucks. He knows Bylsma sucks. He's human.

I'm good with this.

I would take issue if someone suggested that finishing 11th in points per game is somehow a failure for Jack, though.

Edited by Thorny

And Sam, too, who had to deal with even more BS from Bylsma than Jack did.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.