NHL Bracket Challenge announced

North Buffalo

Is it contradictory to say I really like the Preds, but also have no confidence in them at all? I think they've been less than the sum of their parts all year, and if they put it all together, they're the most dangerous team in the West. But betting on that happening all of the sudden, and Rinne not being awful, is quite the risky proposition.

Is it contradictory to say I really like the Preds, but also have no confidence in them at all? I think they've been less than the sum of their parts all year, and if they put it all together, they're the most dangerous team in the West. But betting on that happening all of the sudden, and Rinne not being awful, is quite the risky proposition.

Not at all. This is exactly what I think of them too. They could look like the best team in the world and I'd still see those yellow jerseys and be like "nah, they gonna lose".

In fact, that's exactly how I picked my bracket.

I get them going all the way to the final, and losing to the caps.   Looks like I'm the only one  :blink:

SA-CF% is in baby! For the games in each series, I just went 6 in every series.

I really don't believe Boston is good enough to emerge, especially with the Krug injury, but it is what it is.

I used CF% to build my bracket but looking only at the last 35 games of the season   Also used scoring chances for % (over the same time period) as a function to break "ties" where both teams had somewhat similar CF%'s and to predict # of games.   

We have three leaders after the Ducks completed their sweep of the Flames: 38, Derrico, and "Eric H" were the only ones to predict the Ducks' victory as a sweep.

26 of the other 30 entrants also correctly picked Anaheim.  Of note, TrueBlue's SA-CF% had Calgary winning.... womp womp.

Bump again.  ANA, PIT, and NSH all have moved on from Round One.  CGY, CBJ, and CHI*** have all been eliminated.

Six Sabre(s)Spacers had Chicago as their Champ.

Only two SS'ers have chosen the first three victors correctly: TrueBlue and "Lukas K".  "Lukas K" holds the lead after the bonus for picking PIT's victory in exactly 5 games.

*** Apparently it was not a good round for teams hailing from cities beginning with the letter "C".  Not looking great for Carolina and Colorado, either.

Well look at that, SA-CF% doesn't mean ######.

Meh. Use one playoff year to draw conclusions if you like. But you'd be wrong to do so. It may well be diminishing in predictive power as the league evolves and more teams adapt, but we're still several years away from really knowing.

I mean, a single statistic beat everyone save for Eleven last year.

Meh. Use one playoff year to draw conclusions if you like. But you'd be wrong to do so. It may well be diminishing in predictive power as the league evolves and more teams adapt, but we're still several years away from really knowing.

I mean, a single statistic beat everyone save for Eleven last year.

Pi believes real-time stats have far more predictive power than possession ones. Don't even bother.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.