Absurd Hockey Questions you've always been afraid to ask.

MattPie

That applies to the player coming on, too, innit? The player coming on can't be "in the play" until the retiring player is off the ice.

Correct. While that player entering the game can join the play, he can't play the puck or check an opponent until the guy he's replacing is off the ice. But if the puck just grazes him & there was no intent to play it, it SHOULDN'T be a penalty, but probably will get called.

My question is if we are all experts at this and have all that ails this team figured out, why aren't we running the team (and coaching)? I really believe I could do a better job, which of course is absurd

We have no connection to Pittsburgh so Terry won't hire us.

When in the defensive zone, and a player breaks his stick, why do they insist on staying out on the ice? That guy is not only useless, he becomes a liability on the ice. Why not go into a 15 second penalty kill, and have that guy sprint back to the bench. He can grab a stick or come off for a sub.

I have never seen the stick less guy make a positive impact in that situation.

Every time I see that, I think of my daughters dance class when the girls do "jazz hands"

The reason I want my player to typically stay in the play, in addition to what LTS already mentioned, is that if the player goes back to the bench you now have players scrambling around to cover the "open" man. There is a discipline to playing in your own end both 5 on 5 & shorthanded. When you are expecting to be playing in that situation you know what your responsibility is & where you should be. A teammate NOT being where he should be forces someone (or often several players) to be somewhere they (normally) shouldn't be which then forces somebody else to get out of position.

Even though that stickless player can't be as effective in coverage as he would be w/ a stick, it is typically a pointman that he is covering & the other opponents in higher priority areas are still covered. Which is also why forwards give the D-man that broke his stick their stick. They need to be controlling the slot more so than the point.

Once the running around starts, it's very hard to stop. Keeping a less effective player in his normal position is typically the higher %age decision than going shorthanded on the fly.

That was post-2005 lockout that the change happened, right? (apparently not; 03-04). NHL decided they liked it better that way, probably to match the NFL. The "Away Colors" wikipedia page only talks about whites at home from 1970-2002. This is interesting from Wikipedia:

"The third major change was for the 1927–28 season when the team's name changed to the Maple Leafs, gaining a new logo and returning to the blue uniform. The logo was a 47-point maple leaf with "Toronto Maple Leafs" lettered in white. The home jersey was blue with alternating thin-thick stripes on the arms, legs and shoulders. The road uniform was white with three stripes on the chest and back, waist and legs. For 1933–34, the alternating thin-thick stripes were replaced with stripes of equal thickness. This would remain as the basic design for the next 40 years"

I believe that NHL teams wore their dark unis at home for many years, up until just before the 1967 expansion.  Then it became white (or light-colored) jerseys at home, dark on the road. The reason for the most recent reversal was the introduction of the "third" jersey. These were only dark (never white), but were always worn at home. The NHL didn't want to make road teams carry two sets of uniforms (dark when playing a team that didn't have a third jersey) and white (for those that had a third and were going to wear it). So, they swapped back; road whites, home colors.

The NFL follows the "white on the road" guideline for the most part.  There are exceptions: the Dallas Cowboys wear white at home AND on the road (most of the time). It had something to do with them losing a big game while wearing their blue road jerseys; they then considered them "bad mojo".

The NBA and MLB still mostly do white at home, dark on the road.

I still like the home white jerseys....

I believe that NHL teams wore their dark unis at home for many years, up until just before the 1967 expansion.  Then it became white (or light-colored) jerseys at home, dark on the road. The reason for the most recent reversal was the introduction of the "third" jersey. These were only dark (never white), but were always worn at home. The NHL didn't want to make road teams carry two sets of uniforms (dark when playing a team that didn't have a third jersey) and white (for those that had a third and were going to wear it). So, they swapped back; road whites, home colors.

The NFL follows the "white on the road" guideline for the most part.  There are exceptions: the Dallas Cowboys wear white at home AND on the road (most of the time). It had something to do with them losing a big game while wearing their blue road jerseys; they then considered them "bad mojo".

The NBA and MLB still mostly do white at home, dark on the road.

I still like the home white jerseys....

Close. The change was implemented for the '70-'71 season.

That iconic photo of Orr winning the SC in '70 was taken at the Gaaaah-din.

Do they count it as a shot if the puck is going wide or over the net and the goalie gloves or deflects the puck?

Yes, anytime a shot hits the goalie it's counted as a save.    

Why is there no referee signal for a too many men penalty? Why isn't the signal the ref looking around the ice and pretending to count players by pointing with his index finger?

There is.   The signal is index finger pointing up moving in a circular motion.  

1.  Could a player put the puck in the palm of his hand (open, so as not to be guilty of closing his hand on the puck) and skate it down the ice?

2.  Can a player use a deliberate kicking motion to score in his own net?

3.  Can a player be "onside" if his glove is on the ice and touching the blue line or does it have to be his skate?

1.  Could a player put the puck in the palm of his hand (open, so as not to be guilty of closing his hand on the puck) and skate it down the ice?

3.  Can a player be "onside" if his glove is on the ice and touching the blue line or does it have to be his skate?

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.

There is.   The signal is index finger pointing up moving in a circular motion.  

I know what you mean, but I'm talking about the signal the ref gives when making the announcement. There's also no signal for head-butting and kicking.

If a player hits the jumbotron with the puck without a deflection, is it a delay of game penalty since its out of play?

Nice!

The spitting thing seems to happen in many sports, except basketball for obvious reasons. I think it has more to do with adrenaline. Most baseball players that don't chew are still always spitting. Mariano was a good example. He would spit 2 or 3 times for every pitch he threw. Football players seem more into blowing snot rockets from what I've seen.

And wtf ever happened to the diving penalty, did they get rid of it? I haven't seen one called in two years. It never made sense to me anyways. If a player gets called for diving, then was it really a penalty on the other player being called for one to begin with?

1: Ask Darius Kasparaitus. :censored:

If a player is sitting or on his knees, and plays a puck above his shoulders, is it still playing the puck with a high stick?

If a player hits the jumbotron with the puck without a deflection, is it a delay of game penalty since its out of play?

No

If a player is sitting or on his knees, and plays a puck above his shoulders, is it still playing the puck with a high stick?

Yes

No. A high stick is relative to the height of the crossbar... 4ft.

If you kick the puck towards the net annd a teammate deflects it in with his stick... is it a goal?

If you swat at a puck in the air and make contact with puck below the height of the crossbar and the puck goes in the net but you also clip a guy in the face with your follow through after the puck goes in, does the goal count and do you get a penalty for high sticking?

Why don't more right handed players shoot "left handed"? The first time I picked up a hockey stick, that's what felt natural to me, and so I have always shot "lefty". People used to ask if I was left handed because of it all the time. I told them no I'm right handed and they'd ask me why I was shooting the wrong way.

I tried doing it the other way but it just feels weird. Ended up being known for a wicked wrist shot that was both hard and accurate back in the day. Was it because I was shooting lefty? I dunno, but I've always wondered why more right handed players don't do it....

Also...how do more players not end up with serious injuries from blocking pucks?? Frozen rubber is pretty damn hard and I'm sure it hurts like hell if it hits you in an unprotected area...

Edited by matter2003

No. A high stick is relative to the height of the crossbar... 4ft.

If you kick the puck towards the net annd a teammate deflects it in with his stick... is it a goal?

If you swat at a puck in the air and make contact with puck below the height of the crossbar and the puck goes in the net but you also clip a guy in the face with your follow through after the puck goes in, does the goal count and do you get a penalty for high sticking?

If a puck is kicked and then deflected by a stick, it is a goal.

If you hit the puck legally in the air and hit a guy in the face I am 99% certain it is considered no different than shooting the puck from the ice surface and hitting someone in the face.  This actually happened in a Sabres game.. I want to say Brad May would up to take a slap shot and as he pulled his stick back it nailed Paul Kariya in the face.  I believe he scored on the shot.  No penalty as it was the normal playing of the puck.  They mentioned at the time that even if it happens on the follow through it would not be a penalty.  

Why don't more right handed players shoot "left handed"? The first time I picked up a hockey stick, that's what felt natural to me, and so I have always shot "lefty". People used to ask if I was left handed because of it all the time. I told them no I'm right handed and they'd ask me why I was shooting the wrong way.

I tried doing it the other way but it just feels weird. Ended up being known for a wicked wrist shot that was both hard and accurate back in the day. Was it because I was shooting lefty? I dunno, but I've always wondered why more right handed players don't do it....

Also...how do more players not end up with serious injuries from blocking pucks?? Frozen rubber is pretty damn hard and I'm sure it hurts like hell if it hits you in an unprotected area...

It's not natural to everyone.  When I was growing up I played a lot of street hockey and I didn't have a stick for some time.  I learned to play both lefty and righty.  However, at some point I just migrated to being a righty only player.  Eichel is a righty and he has a hell of a wrist shot.

First answer to the blocking shots question is.. padding and practice.  Players don't often get hit in unprotected areas.  However, when it happens it hurts like hell.  At that point I want to go with genetics.  I have the luxury (to date) of having never broken a bone and it's not for lack of trying.  I deflected a slap shot one time as it was leaving the D-man's stick and it went straight up and hit the end of my collarbone near my throat (thankfully it hit the bone).  Hurt like hell... I skated off the ice bent over and was out next shift.  I don't relay that story to demonstrate how tough I am but to say that I feel rather confident that others might have ended up with some kind of bone damage.

We need a rules thread. I love this stuff.

At least according to the rule book, the weight of an official game puck is between 5.5 and 6 ounces. Surprised it's not a specific weight. Anyway, would more goals be scored if the puck were lighter or heavier? Is that half-ounce variance at all important?

The "proper" way to hold the stick is with your dexterity hand at the top. When stick handling, the top hand does all the work, rolling the wrist, while the bottom hand very lightly grips the stick. Shooting is similar, such that your top hand initially pushes away and then pulls in while the bottom hand pushes. I'd say 80-90% of rec league players shoot incorrectly, using mostly the bottom hand only. Shooting the puck hard is 90% technique. Watch how Eichel presses hus top hand towards the target and then yanks it back to flex the stick. Also, the buttend should just about be in your palm which allows slightly more leverage.

Equipment nowadays is so much better that everybody on the team is expected to block shots. Back when I played competitively, we didn't have things like shot blockers (the plastic skate covers), so there was alot of technique that webt into, eg puttibg your stck blade over your laces, squaring up to the shot,etc or making custom padding to cover the tops of your feet and ankles. remember Chris Prongers skate flaps? You don't see that stuff anymore, in fact some junior and college teams require all their players to wear shot blockers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.