Absurd Hockey Questions you've always been afraid to ask.

MattPie

A thread of random hockey questions that are absurd or stupid. Why not?

I'll go first:

- It's mandatory for a player to wear a helmet. Are any other pieces of gear mandatory? (I.e., can a player go out without skates or gloves, even if it's pretty ill-advised to forego them)

I have a buddy who's a pretty casual hockey fan, and last night he asked me a question. It really isn't that absurd a thought, but it took me by surprise.

He asked if the attacking team on a power play HAS to take the puck behind the net after it has been cleared down the ice. He thought maybe they had to circle behind to tag up. Like I said, caught me by surprise because the answer is no, of course. But probably 95/100 times, the "QB" will reset the rush by circling behind the net. Funny that it happens so often that he picked up on it and thought it might actually be a rule.

Too many men on the ice: the player coming off the bench can't touch the puck until someone else gets off?

That's the way it's usually called, but for the life of me I don't know how refs/linesmen can keep track of that in real-time.

Too many men on the ice: the player coming off the bench can't touch the puck until someone else gets off?

Pretty much. If the player coming off is w/in 5' of the bench, the player coming on can join the play. If the guy coming off the ice intentionally plays the puck or throws a check it's too many men. If the puck just hits the guy coming off but he doesn't make ANY play on it, it should not be too many men.

What's the exact definition of a balk?

:angel:

Had to explain that one to my wife and kid while at the ballpark, immediately following a balk. They looked at me like I was speaking braille.

Why can't they wear white at home?

But then the ice would be brown.

I'll take Samson as an example.

Every time they showed him riding the bench, he spat. Why? 

Continually. Noticed that too. When I played beer league one of the worst places to end up was on the floor of the players bench. It was a nasty nasty mess.

When a coach is calling for a line change, how is this organized on the bench?  And when the coach alters the lines, how do they keep it organized? Does the coach state which five players he wants on the ice every time? Is there some sort of code (Line A B C D)? 

When a coach is calling for a line change, how is this organized on the bench?  And when the coach alters the lines, how do they keep it organized? Does the coach state which five players he wants on the ice every time? Is there some sort of code (Line A B C D)? 

I was always curious about this, having never played at an organized level to have known the answer. I would expect more confusion and plays where two lines both try to jump on at the same time, but that literally never happens.

But then the ice would be brown.

I'll take Samson as an example.

Every time they showed him riding the bench, he spat. Why? 

Hence why I said reflex. They might not be packing a lipper on the bench, but that wont stop them from spitting like they are. 

Also, there's something about hockey that just gets the ol' sinuses draining. That mix of cold ice and hot breath. I don't spit too much when I'm playing, but I get why someone would. 

Why is moving someone else's stick out of the way a penalty. Yet, you can pick up the opposing player's stick, even if it has the wrong curve, score a goal with it, and that is allowed?

(I am thinking this was probably just missed by the refs, but I love this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77GCeH0t1Q.)

Has a goalie ever thrown it out of the zone and therefore is was considered a glove pass?

HAH-coughcough-shek.

Why do hockey players spit so much?

Not to mention the Frank Mahovlich.

Does spitting contribute to dehydration? How about when they take a drink and then spit the water back out? What's the point?

How come there aren't any trick plays in hockey? I always thought this would work: you're working the puck around on the power play, and at just the right time, four of the five skaters drop their stick, go to their knees and start flapping their arms and clucking like chickens. As the shot goes past the defensemen and goalie, who don't move.

Why is moving someone else's stick out of the way a penalty. Yet, you can pick up the opposing player's stick, even if it has the wrong curve, score a goal with it, and that is allowed?

(I am thinking this was probably just missed by the refs, but I love this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77GCeH0t1Q.)

Moving someone else's stick: I think it's only a penalty if you push it away from the player, I've seem players push a stick out of the way, right? I'd guess if you picked up another players stick before they could get to it it'd be a penalty too.

As for the clip, seems like Koivu could have gotten a holding the stick penalty when we (kinda) took it out of Ryan's hands.

Good question!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.