When will Eichel first be booed in his return to Buffalo?

PASabreFan

I tend to think that Eichel's ego is a problem.

He has always been the centre of attention everywhere he has played.  He wants that here in Buffalo too.  Problem is that he is now a professional and really needs to act like one.

I have no issue with him, or any other player for that matter, being benched.  He needs to learn some tough lessons.

Samson seems to have matured nicely and my hope and belief is that Jack will too.

I got a big problem with him being benched. Disco has to put the same effort and resources into innovating his approach and clearly has not. The hockey world has passed his system/ideas by (and this happens in all fields), but we can all change and he has CHOSEN not to. He is asking a 20y/o to utilize that system and play at an all-world level within his antiquated system (which he largely has!).  Yet it is Disco who has not invested his time into evolving his plan and putting the players in the most appropriate path for success. He simply has no leg to stand on. 

Edited by Doctor of Philhousley

Jack's shenanigans remind of Crosby/Malkin when Dan was coaching there.

Is it that all really good/great  hockey players are high maintenance drama queens? I think yes, yes they are.

Do we have  a really good coach in Dan that can motivate and get them to excel? I think not.

We now have 2.8 years of Dan's fully implemented system to look at between Pittsburgh and Buffalo. His run has been not good and heading towards down right bad. 

With all do respect to the good Doctor, I completely disagree that this is on the coach.

Bylsma was hired as coach based entirely on the GM's belief that he was / is the right coach for this team.  The GM has been on record saying that the issues with the team fall squarely on the players.  And I tend to agree with that.

The coach does not need to change his methods.  The players need to mature and accept that this is how they are expected to play.

With all do respect to the good Doctor, I completely disagree that this is on the coach.

Bylsma was hired as coach based entirely on the GM's belief that he was / is the right coach for this team.  The GM has been on record saying that the issues with the team fall squarely on the players.  And I tend to agree with that.

The coach does not need to change his methods.  The players need to mature and accept that this is how they are expected to play.

Your big assumption is GMTM hired Dan.

If you throw that assumption out, all you're left with is a GM not throwing is owner hired coach and said coach under the big wheeled hockey bus.

Where the wheels go round-n-round :P

Your big assumption is GMTM hired Dan.

If you throw that assumption out, all you're left with is a GM not throwing is owner hired coach and said coach under the big wheeled hockey bus.

Where the wheels go round-n-round :P

After the fallout from the great PLF debacle, I truly believe that the Sabres are run by Murray.  At least, all things hockey related ... hiring coaches, the draft, players trades and signings.

After the fallout from the great PLF debacle, I truly believe that the Sabres are run by Murray.  At least, all things hockey related ... hiring coaches, the draft, players trades and signings.

I think you're very close.

Right after Dan is gone TP will concede the hiring duties to his GM. At that point GMTM will have full control of hockey operations.The only duty by TP will be final approval for the coach/big trades, like I assume most clubs are run.

Bylsma was hired as coach based entirely on the GM's belief that he was / is the right coach for this team. The GM has been on record saying that the issues with the team fall squarely on the players. And I tend to agree with that.

The coach does not need to change his methods. The players need to mature and accept that this is how they are expected to play.

Do you expect Murray to say anything different? Public shows of faith are empty gestures. If he brings Bylsma back next season, I'll buy his public comments as sincere.

I've read on forums and heard through the grapevine that Jack is a DB sometimes, and I would be shocked if it was any other way. He's a 20 year old that happens to be one of the best hockey players on the planet. His head has to be huge. Sapiens males do not fully  mature until they are like 30. 

Guys like Tyler Seguin and Patrick Kane were bigger DBs, in a much more public way, and things turned out alright for them. Guys like Richards and Carter are also terrible people according to hearsay. It happens. 

I don't think Jack likes Dan, I don't like Dan either, and ~50% of hockey players dislike their coach at any given time. Even if Dan wins us a cup next year he llikely won't be here when Jack's a UFA. It's not a big deal. Jack's been given mostly ideal situations and minutes the past two years, even if I don't like the structure of the system they play in. 

I tend to think that Eichel's ego is a problem.

He has always been the centre of attention everywhere he has played.  He wants that here in Buffalo too.  Problem is that he is now a professional and really needs to act like one.

I have no issue with him, or any other player for that matter, being benched.  He needs to learn some tough lessons.

Samson seems to have matured nicely and my hope and belief is that Jack will too.

Ego in an elite athlete is a big part of what/who they are. We try to convince ourselves that they really are just down to earth "normal" people, but the reality is they WANT to be the centerpiece & that is a big piece of who they are. They also desperately hate losing.

Jim Kelly was an a-####. He also was the best QB the Bills ever had. And there was no bigger competitor. Still recall him breaking a Falcon's DB's leg tackling him after an interception.

I'd prefer Jack be a kind, respectful person off the ice & that is an image he seems to cultivate. But on the ice, he'd better be trying to win. (And I am ok w/ the occassional benching of the kids. Dropping Reinhart to 4th line against FLA worked wonders for him.)

Hmm, what ties were there between Bylsma & Murray prior to his hire? Any?

What commonality was there between Pegula, Black, Patrick, & Bylsma? Pittsburgh for all; also USA Hockey w/ Patrick. While I fully believe Murray was ok w/ the hire. He CLEARLY wasn't his 1st choice.

Bylsma's methods CLEARLY are not working. & he has made minor mods to his system (either that or Ristolainen & McCabe are also in open revolt as they do join the rush the handful of times the team works it up ice w/out looking for the stretch pass) but it still doesn't work. His system is too d*mn complicated; players are thinking rather than PLAYING. (Yes, a system / structure is necessary; but it needs to be second nature. Dan's the only one that seems to know where people are supposed to be in real time. Thst's not acceptable.) He needs to be gone yesterday.

Right after Dan is gone TP will concede the hiring duties to his GM. At that point GMTM will have full control of hockey operations.The only duty by TP will be final approval for the coach/big trades, like I assume most clubs are run.

This sounds right -- at least I sure hope so.

Not a bad point. The DP (douchebag potential) seems high. I wasn't quite as charmed with the coming-for-ya video as everyone else.

What do you expect from a masshole?

I hope this is spot on. Based on Pegula's Pittsburgh fetish it seems all too likely that Pegula wanted DB after we lost out on Babcock.

I've read on forums and heard through the grapevine that Jack is a DB sometimes, and I would be shocked if it was any other way. He's a 20 year old that happens to be one of the best hockey players on the planet. His head has to be huge. ###### Sapiens males do not fully  mature until they are like 30. 

Guys like Tyler Seguin and Patrick Kane were bigger DBs, in a much more public way, and things turned out alright for them. Guys like Richards and Carter are also terrible people according to hearsay. It happens. 

I don't think Jack likes Dan, I don't like Dan either, and ~50% of hockey players dislike their coach at any given time. Even if Dan wins us a cup next year he llikely won't be here when Jack's a UFA. It's not a big deal. Jack's been given mostly ideal situations and minutes the past two years, even if I don't like the structure of the system they play in. 

The age of maturity seems to be going up. I have no idea how we won World War II.

Hmm, what ties were there between Bylsma & Murray prior to his hire? Any?

What commonality was there between Pegula, Black, Patrick, & Bylsma? Pittsburgh for all; also USA Hockey w/ Patrick. While I fully believe Murray was ok w/ the hire. He CLEARLY wasn't his 1st choice.

Anaheim? Murray was director of player personnel when Bylsma was playing there.

You forgot Benson and Sawyer. Do you think Babcock was Murray's first choice? I wonder. I have an inkling that Murray didn't want to give up too much power to Babcock and that was the end of that.

Edited by PASabreFan

The age of maturity seems to be going up. I have no idea how we won World War II.

297.png

Oh, and in answer to your question: By ceaselessly throwing human suffering and death at obdurate opponents (who were doing likewise), and then, probably more importantly, first developing and promptly unleashing a weapon that had the power to destroy the planet.

297.png

Oh, and in answer to your question: By ceaselessly throwing human suffering and death at obdurate opponents (who were doing likewise), and then, probably more importantly, first developing and promptly unleashing a weapon that had the power to destroy the planet.

Today's generation is the complete opposite of the one that fought in WWII.  The sacrifices they made and the next to no bittching about it sums it up.  This is an addition to your answer. 

Edited by GoPre

I know a few guys who are advancing steadily in the military, doing great things I imagine, who are also the most repulsive and immature personalities I've ever met. I'm sure they would have handled WWII well, too.

Then again, I'm just another millennial that rolls his eyes when generation generalizations pop up. I heard a great one just last night - NHL referees are worse than ever and it's because they're from the younger, lazier generation. Now, the person I had this discussion with was born in the 60s, and a random sampling of NHL referee Wikipedia pages showed more referees born in the 60s than not, but facts aren't really relevant. When a Gen X or boomer worldview gets confirmed (by hearing themselves say it out loud, that's usually the threshold for how correct or incorrect a theory is), there are simply no pieces counter-evidence strong enough to change that worldview. ;)

Today's generation is the complete opposite of the one that fought in WWII.  The sacrifices they made and the next to no bittching about it sums it up.  This is an addition to your answer. 

I think this is overblown. The average service member spent something like 16 months on deployment during WWII. That happens much more regularly for soldiers these days along with multiple deployments, extensions, and stop loss measures where soldiers get extended passed their scheduled EAS dates (especially during the height of the Iraq war in the early-mid 2000's). Of course the percentage of people who served was way higher in the old days so I'd venture it's true for the population at large, just not on an old soldier vs recent soldier basis.

Edited by Drunkard

Anaheim? Murray was director of player personnel when Bylsma was playing there.

You forgot Benson and Sawyer. Do you think Babcock was Murray's first choice? I wonder. I have an inkling that Murray didn't want to give up too much power to Babcock and that was the end of that.

To the Anaheim comment: :doh: .

All the reports had Babcock as Murray's 1st choice & he gave Babcock the same offer that TO gave him. (Babcock also had the Anaheim connection to Tim as well.) Until I hear from someone credible that Babcock wasn't the 1st choice, he was the 1st choice.

I know a few guys who are advancing steadily in the military, doing great things I imagine, who are also the most repulsive and immature personalities I've ever met. I'm sure they would have handled WWII well, too.

Then again, I'm just another millennial that rolls his eyes when generation generalizations pop up. I heard a great one just last night - NHL referees are worse than ever and it's because they're from the younger, lazier generation. Now, the person I had this discussion with was born in the 60s, and a random sampling of NHL referee Wikipedia pages showed more referees born in the 60s than not, but facts aren't really relevant. When a Gen X or boomer worldview gets confirmed (by hearing themselves say it out loud, that's usually the threshold for how correct or incorrect a theory is), there are simply no pieces counter-evidence strong enough to change that worldview. ;)

Wait, aren't you the one who suggested that any male under 30 is not mature?

Wait, aren't you the one who suggested that any male under 30 is not mature?

Well, everyone matures at their own rate due to many different factors, but what I've picked up from the psychology community (they are, in fact, always close to the physicists, due to alphabetical ordering ;) ) is that evidence suggests that the average male isn't fully matured until around that time period. That doesn't immediately imply that every male under 30 is immature, and I never suggested that, even with my loose phrasing, which is bound to happen on a hockey board between bites of sandwich. 

I'll also mention that the winky face at the end of my boomer/Gen X statement was meant to signify that I was serving back some of the medicine I received in my discussion last night, and almost every day in some form or another from the person in question. I don't actually believe that stereotype, as many of the people born in those particular years have taught me more than I ever thought I could know about physics, hockey, and life in general. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.