When Will Eichel Have His First Fight?

WildCard

Obviously it depends on the opponent. If Eichel fought Laine or McDavid then whatever. If he fights a true scrapper then I don't see it going well. Who knows maybe he has ginger strength and KOs Lucic.

If Eich gets into a fight, it won't be a case of dropping the gloves and skating around awhile while the combatants decide who throws the first punch.  It'll be coming to the aid of a teammate that's been cheap-shotted and retribution needs to be immediate (see also:  Drew Stafford after the hit on Drury against Ottawa ten years ago).  And it won't matter if it's Laine or Lucic; Jack's fury will be invincible.

Edited by Doohickie

Wasn't he benching something like 225 prior to being drafted? Jack is a strong mofo.

Physical strength has a role in fighting but I would think technique and balance would be more important. I think Eichel's balance on his skates would help in a hockey fight but benching 225 may not be as big a factor against an experienced fighter who knows how to protect himself and counter attack.

If Eich gets into a fight, it won't be a case of dropping the gloves and skating around awhile while the combatants decide who throws the first punch.  It'll be coming to the aid of a teammate that's been cheap-shotted and retribution needs to be immediate (see also:  Drew Stafford after the hit on Drury against Ottawa ten years ago).  And it won't matter if it's Laine or Lucic; Jack's fury will be invincible.

I think it would matter if it was a guy like Lucic as opposed to a guy like Laine. When Drury got hit Stafford didn't really fight. He tried but the more experienced fighter took him down. That situation is different if It was Peters instead of Stafford. Bottom line is if Eichel fights a goon out of rage it won't end well. Regardless of how much he benches off the ice or what lead to the fight.

I'd guess it won't happen barring the captaincy or without Kane/Foligno/tough guy Sam or another less physical player gets run. Remember, when Moulson got ran from behind earlier this year Eichel went in and practically boarded the guy over the top of Moulson so I don't doubt he has the fire. But sort of like Toews, I see at best 1 per 2 seasons once he's become more less a young vet at 24/25 or so.

I'd guess it won't happen barring the captaincy or without Kane/Foligno/tough guy Sam or another less physical player gets run. Remember, when Moulson got ran from behind earlier this year Eichel went in and practically boarded the guy over the top of Moulson so I don't doubt he has the fire. But sort of like Toews, I see at best 1 per 2 seasons once he's become more less a young vet at 24/25 or so.

Actually I do remember that.  A few incidents like that and maybe he won't have to fight.  The won't want to mess with him.

Urban legend on Gilbert had been, at least in my home, that he had 1 NHL fight, that he one punched the guy, and that was the end of that.

Ask McDavid if it makes sense to fight.

I have no need to see Jack drop 'em. None.

Urban legend I believed for 40 years is that is was against Dan Maloney and he broke his nose, and Gilbert was never really messed with again.

Urban legend on Gilbert had been, at least in my home, that he had 1 NHL fight, that he one punched the guy, and that was the end of that.

Ask McDavid if it makes sense to fight.

I have no need to see Jack drop 'em. None.

Gil Perreault - 1

Dan Maloney - 0

Urban legend I believed for 40 years is that is was against Dan Maloney and he broke his nose, and Gilbert was never really messed with again.

Gil Perreault - 1

Dan Maloney - 0

Hockeyfights.com says it was Keith Magnuson, time 12:32 of the 3rd period.

I totally thought that in Milt Ellis' voice as I typed it out.

Actually, I think Jack's first fight will come this year when he beats the crap out of Franson for failing to convert one of his slick goalmouth passes that Leino couldn't miss.

Another urban legend crashes to the ground. :cry:

Actually, I think Jack's first fight will come this year when he beats the crap out of Franson for failing to convert one of his slick goalmouth passes that Leino couldn't miss.

Another urban legend crashes to the ground. :cry:

Maloney fought Reg Fleming at the same time in the game. 

I only have my memory. I "saw" it on the radio.

I think hockeyfights gets this one wrong. The game had two majors. Perreault and Maloney / Fleming and Magnuson. The fights took place at the same time.

Maloney was interviewed years later and recalls Perreault breaking his (Maloney's) nose.

Who "nose"?

The late, great, Charley Barton:

http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=42070

Excerpt: However, it should be noted that Charley Barton was a writer who at the time was employed by the Buffalo Sabres.

PERREAULT PROVES HE CAN HANDLE HIMSELF Rough Stuff Doesn't Bother Him

by Charley Barton

The law of the jungles hold no terrors for Gilbert Perreault. They've been running at him from every conceivable angle since the start of the season and it's clearly evident The Buffalo Sabre prize rookie isn't about to duck and hide

Testing rookies is almost as much a part of the game as sticks and skates, and Perreault has passed every test with flying colors.

Two would-be ruffians, Chicago's Dan Maloney and Detroit's Gerry Hart took runs at him recently and both wound up the worse for wear.

Maloney also wound up with a king-sized imagination and that's another story.

He is the young winger who charged at Skip Krake and Al Hamilton from behind. In Chicago he sneaked up on Perreault from behind and wound up with a broken nose and several head cuts for his trouble.

Maloney didn't get on the ice until less than 5 minutes remained and the decision was out of reach for the Sabres. The only thing he did was run at Perreault who wheeled and dealt him a lacing.

In the Hawks next game at Toronto, Maloney showed up wearing a football helmut complete with mask. He told reporters that he and Perreault had traded broken noses. Which was news to Perreault who sustained only a bruise on the forehead where Maloney had reached around with his behind-the-back punch.

In Detroit, Perreault nailed Hart with several stinging blows to the head.

"I only had 3 or 4 fights in all my Junior career" said Perreault. "But now if I have to fight, I fight. I don't remember Maloney ever fighting when he was in Junior at London. Maybe somebody told him to fight me."

Punch Imlach, the Sabres general manager and coach hasn't any misgivings about Perreault in the rough-and-tumble league. "He can handle himself with any of them" Imlach said. "Look they always take runs at rookies and always will, particularly against a kid as talented as Perreault." "If a kid doesn't take stand and fight they'll run him right out of the league. And you can bet nobody is going to run Perreault out."

Post Script: Magnusun, Maloney and Korab, all on the Chicago roster!

Edited by Neo

I only have my memory. I "saw" it on the radio.

I think hockeyfights gets this one wrong. The game had two majors. Perreault and Maloney / Fleming and Magnuson. The fights took place at the same time.

Maloney was interviewed years later and recalls Perreault breaking his (Maloney's) nose.

Who "nose"?

The late, great, Charley Barton:

http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=42070

Excerpt: However, it should be noted that Charley Barton was a writer who at the time was employed by the Buffalo Sabres.

PERREAULT PROVES HE CAN HANDLE HIMSELF Rough Stuff Doesn't Bother Him

by Charley Barton

The law of the jungles hold no terrors for Gilbert Perreault. They've been running at him from every conceivable angle since the start of the season and it's clearly evident The Buffalo Sabre prize rookie isn't about to duck and hide

Testing rookies is almost as much a part of the game as sticks and skates, and Perreault has passed every test with flying colors.

Two would-be ruffians, Chicago's Dan Maloney and Detroit's Gerry Hart took runs at him recently and both wound up the worse for wear.

Maloney also wound up with a king-sized imagination and that's another story.

He is the young winger who charged at Skip Krake and Al Hamilton from behind. In Chicago he sneaked up on Perreault from behind and wound up with a broken nose and several head cuts for his trouble.

Maloney didn't get on the ice until less than 5 minutes remained and the decision was out of reach for the Sabres. The only thing he did was run at Perreault who wheeled and dealt him a lacing.

In the Hawks next game at Toronto, Maloney showed up wearing a football helmut complete with mask. He told reporters that he and Perreault had traded broken noses. Which was news to Perreault who sustained only a bruise on the forehead where Maloney had reached around with his behind-the-back punch.

In Detroit, Perreault nailed Hart with several stinging blows to the head.

"I only had 3 or 4 fights in all my Junior career" said Perreault. "But now if I have to fight, I fight. I don't remember Maloney ever fighting when he was in Junior at London. Maybe somebody told him to fight me."

Punch Imlach, the Sabres general manager and coach hasn't any misgivings about Perreault in the rough-and-tumble league. "He can handle himself with any of them" Imlach said. "Look they always take runs at rookies and always will, particularly against a kid as talented as Perreault." "If a kid doesn't take stand and fight they'll run him right out of the league. And you can bet nobody is going to run Perreault out."

Very nice.  And about the closest thing to evidence that we have.

Jack will drop an unsuspecting McQuaid with a right to the jaw in the same brouhaha that Risto starts by pounding Marchand.

This happens early in the third period of the same late season game the Sabres come from behind to win that cements their return to the playoffs.

(Being a Sabre fan it helps to have an active fantasy life.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.