How long Until Jack takes over the team scoring lead?

GASabresIUFAN

Foxsports.com did a top 25 players under 25 years old, and forgot to put Eichel on the list. When it was pointed out, they edited it and put him 7th, notably behind Ekblad and MacKinnon, so I guess they haven't watched hockey since mid 2014-15 season. 

I just hope he sees this stuff, and sees that the NHL stations still aren't talking about him despite being the highest scorer in the league for more than a month, and top 10 since he came back from a horrible injury on a horrible offensive team.

At worst he belongs at 3rd on that list IMO. But I love the under the radar stuff. He's going to surprise a lot of people over the next few years. Let it fuel you, Jack!

Foxsports.com did a top 25 players under 25 years old, and forgot to put Eichel on the list. When it was pointed out, they edited it and put him 7th, notably behind Ekblad and MacKinnon, so I guess they haven't watched hockey since mid 2014-15 season. 

I just hope he sees this stuff, and sees that the NHL stations still aren't talking about him despite being the highest scorer in the league for more than a month, and top 10 since he came back from a horrible injury on a horrible offensive team.

At worst he belongs at 3rd on that list IMO. But I love the under the radar stuff. He's going to surprise a lot of people over the next few years. Let it fuel you, Jack!

If he was Canadian or played in a Canadian / bigger market....

Sabres player longest point streak since.......

I already read the answer, so I won't say it. But it's not that surprising 

Just for fun, as of today I was looking at the points per game of those top players. Basically, 'project' out to a full 82 game season based on where we are today and this is what you get:

Matthews, 40 goals, 31 assists  71 points

Eichel,  29 goals, 48 assists      77 points

McDavis  27 goals, 65 assists   92 points

Laine  45 goals, 36 assists    81 points

Laine impresses me the most...I know he is a winger, but I value goals more than assists (I always thought the NHL should publish a points 'system' where you get 3 points for a goal, 2 points for a primary assist, and one point for a secondary assist....so the ammount of 'points' given out on a scoring play isn't twice as many for assists as it is for a goal)

Would Eichel be any better if the team played differnetly?  Or without the injury earlier in the year...would his numbers be even better on a points-per-game basis due to lingering effects?

Good lord yes. 

Right where I want him, under the radar growing his game.   

He has the longest current point streak in the NHL, and it hasn't been mentioned on Sportscentre here, yet.

One thing that's a bit lost on how terrible this season is.....Jack is becoming a superstar in front of our eyes.

The most talented skater I've ever seen in a Sabres uniform. Haven't seen a player like him.

When I watch other young guys around the league, the only one that has Jack beat in the ability to maintain total control of the ice while he's out there is McDavid. I don't think Galchenyuk, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Draisaitl, Matthews, Laine come even close to this. You don't notice them much of the time, even Auston. Quiet for stretches, a few nice plays, and boom three assists on a shot that went wide that was put in by Nylander and a bounce off his skate after being in the right spot for a pass. Barkov is a great two way player and those last three get a loooooot of points with hockey sense and playing off the work of teammates, reading them like books. Jack's a little behind them with this, but they cannot touch his raw ability to have the gameplay from both teams revolve around what he can do every time he touches the puck. And now his scoring pace is trending towards Laine (who's with a PPG center, great as he is) and above Matthews'. It's going to keep growing, and he's going to get better and better at understanding the NHL game. Opening this analysis up to players of all ages, I get the same feeling from Crosby, Malkin, and Kane right now. I've never seen Jack disappear from a game or stretches of games like the other young stars do. Even when Jack has a terrible game, there are still 5+ instances where he has the puck on his stick for an extended period of time, doing something nobody else will do during the course of that game on either side. Even if he makes a dumb decision and then loses it. Jack is with maybe 5 other players in the world that I see with this ability and this entertainment value. 

As a fan of hockey, this trait of Jack is something I wouldn't trade for the Matthewsessses of the world. I don't think Matthews is going to be measurably easier to win with, and Laine even less so as a winger. When the NHL belongs to these kids, there will only be one player in the world I'd rather have than Jack Eichel, and that player is generational. We will never be at a point as a team where, all other things the same, Jack fails to get us a cup but switching Auston for him would succeed. The part of me that wants entertainment and to see some new beautiful brilliant display of athleticism every Tuesday and Thursday night in mid January will always prefer Jack to his non-McDavid peers. 

I <3 Jack 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Just for fun, as of today I was looking at the points per game of those top players. Basically, 'project' out to a full 82 game season based on where we are today and this is what you get:

Matthews, 40 goals, 31 assists 71 points

Eichel, 29 goals, 48 assists 77 points

McDavis 27 goals, 65 assists 92 points

Laine 45 goals, 36 assists 81 points

Laine impresses me the most...I know he is a winger, but I value goals more than assists (I always thought the NHL should publish a points 'system' where you get 3 points for a goal, 2 points for a primary assist, and one point for a secondary assist....so the ammount of 'points' given out on a scoring play isn't twice as many for assists as it is for a goal)

Would Eichel be any better if the team played differnetly? Or without the injury earlier in the year...would his numbers be even better on a points-per-game basis due to lingering effects?

Interesting quote from DD about Jack Eichel yesterday quoted by Vogl in TBN.

'Really for him the progression is, is he going to decide whether he's going to be a 35-goal scorer or 40- scorer, or a guy who gets 30 goal 50 assist? He can be any one of those players."

I think this pretty much encapsulates our comments on Jack and what makes him different from Laine or Matthews. He can do whatever needs to be done. He can score when needed or make those around him more effective with his pinpoint passing.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Surprising stat: since Jan. 1, the Sabres have three of the league's top 33 scorers and 5 of the top 88.

1) Marchand 27/20/17/37

5) Eichel 31/12/21/33

10) McDavid 28/8/23/31

24) O'Reilly 30/9/18/27

26) Crosby 26/8/19/27

27) Marner 25/7/19/26

29) Matthews 30/13/13/25

33) Kane 30/16/8/24

54) Draisaitl 28/9/13/22

71) Reinhart 29/7/13/20

74) Panarin 26/5/15/20

88) Okposo 28/8/11/19

90) Hall 29/6/13/19

97) Tarasenko 28/13/5/18

Surprising stat: since Jan. 1, the Sabres have three of the league's top 33 scorers and 5 of the top 88.

1) Marchand 27/20/17/37

5) Eichel 31/12/21/33

10) McDavid 28/8/23/31

24) O'Reilly 30/9/18/27

26) Crosby 26/8/19/27

27) Marner 25/7/19/26

29) Matthews 30/13/13/25

33) Kane 30/16/8/24

54) Draisaitl 28/9/13/22

71) Reinhart 29/7/13/20

74) Panarin 26/5/15/20

88) Okposo 28/8/11/19

90) Hall 29/6/13/19

97) Tarasenko 28/13/5/18

To bad we don't have a D that can support the O. Thanks GMTM! ;) Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just think, if Jack is doing this now, just wait until he fills out physically. Wait til they can't knock him of the puck at all. Wait til he fully grasps his ability to do takeaways like Datsuyk. The TV guys made a comparison of Jack to Super Mario, and while no one is Super Mario, there are some real similarities in their games. These next couple of years as he matures is going to be fun to watch.

Only 38 points more to catch the MC

Just think what he's be scoring if he didn't miss the 1st 21 games.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just think, if Jack is doing this now, just wait until he fills out physically. Wait til they can't knock him of the puck at all. Wait til he fully grasps his ability to do takeaways like Datsuyk. The TV guys made a comparison of Jack to Super Mario, and while no one is Super Mario, there are some real similarities in their games. These next couple of years as he matures is going to be fun to watch.

Imagine the numbers he'll put up with a legit winger or two and a defenseman with some offensive awareness.

Imagine the numbers he'll put up with a legit winger or two and a defenseman with some offensive awareness.

Reinhart is certainly a legit winger, while Bylsma has him there, and him and Jack have great chemistry. But adding a guy like Nylander to the other side would definitely be of big help to Jack.

Mario Lite, I suppose? Which would be AWESOME. Eichel's coach at BU, I think, was the one who talked about the similarity to Mario. And you can see it - Jack gets in the zone, assumes what looks like a wide stance (thanks, perverted Congressman!), sticks his ass out, gets his elbows wide, and no one can touch the puck. It's mesmerizing.

Yessir.

Reinhart is certainly a legit winger, while Bylsma has him there, and him and Jack have great chemistry. But adding a guy like Nylander to the other side would definitely be of big help to Jack.

Reinhart is a good hockey player, who is going to get better. He is not the winger that Jack needs. Reinhart is a centre.

You don't think Kane is a great winger for Jack?

Good. But sub-optimal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.