How long Until Jack takes over the team scoring lead?

GASabresIUFAN

I don't understand the how complex the systems are in the NHL, so I have no idea how that can have an impact on a particular players scoring race.  So how would Eichel be doing if he were in Matthews place on the Leafs? or in Edmonton?  I'm not sure.

I do think it is interesting to look at the last 3 NHL drafts (since the Sabres full 'tank' started).  They of course finished last in 2 of those 3 years.  Look at the Top 2 players taken in those last 3 drafts:  Ekblad, Reinhart, McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine.  Some may make an argument that if you ranked those 6 players in terms of how good they are/how much they have accomplished so far...that the Sabres got the #5 and #6 players of the group.   I'm still glad they have them, but I hope Eichel stops being a very good player and becomes a top-5 superstar soon.

Your wish is granted!  Top scorer in the NHL since 2/4 and per ESPN and TrueBlue, he's tied with McJesus since Jack returned from injury.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Matthews is a wonderful goal scorer and Laine in the next Ovie, but neither is as good at making the players around him better as Jack and McJesus are and long-term I'd rather have the all around star vs Ovie.  Also I think Jack is a better goal scorer then McDavid, but McDavid is on another level as a player despite Jack equaling him in scoring since his return.

FYI Here are the stats on the big 4 ytd

Mattews; 64gms, 31g, 24a, 55pts - .86 pts/gm

Eichel; 46gms, 18g, 27a, 45pts -.98pts/gm

Laine; 59gms, 32g, 27a, 59pts -1pt/gm

McDavid; 65gms, 22g, 52a, 74pts - 1.14pts/gm

All 4 are awesome players and worth building a franchise around.

Right now I'd rank them

1) McDavid

2) Eichel

3) Laine

4) Matthews

One other note:  Matthews and Laine are not the typical NHL rookies who jumped from NCAA/CHL to the NHL.  Both played in good professional leagues last year, so in many ways, although they are a draft class later then Jack and Connor they aren't really a year behind in their pro development.  Laine is actually the youngest of the bunch.  He doesn't turn 19 until April.  What a monster he is going to be in 3-4 years. 

Points my buddy tried to make, even after reading those stats

Best 3 forwards in the league? => Crosby, Ovie, Stamkos

Players he'd take over Stamkos? => Crosby, Matthews, McDavid

Eichel is years behind Matthews, Laine, and McDavid

Eichel is, at best, an All Star

Eichel cannot turn this franchise around

GMTM had nothing to do with the signing of Kyle Okposo; GM's have little to do with FA

....holy I almost lost my mind :lol:

Is your Buddy a Leafs fan or a member of the Canadian Sports Media?  Your friend knows that Stamkos stats have been declining since he broke his arm a few years ago.  Does your friend also know that Ovie isn't the best player on his own team?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Is your Buddy a Leafs fan?

He loves the city of Toronto, but he pretty much gets all of his information and forms his opinions around the national media.  :doh:

Oh there's more

We shouldn't have tanked in 2014. Or if we did, we should have tanked 2014-2016, to get Matthews or Laine, even with the draft lottery changed

Reinhart is utter garbage. Players better than him? Pasternak, Larkin, Ehlers

Ovie will never hit 50g again

Eichel should be a winger

I like Pasternak.  Wow Reinhart is garbage.  Classic.  I guess him leading the Canadians to a World Jr title wasn't enough for your friend to earn the kid some love.  

Pretty much. He also thinks Nylander is worthless

And here is why +/- needs to die

@ByMHarrington  28m28 minutes ago
#Sabres Eichel leads NHL in assists (18) and pts (24) since Feb. 1. He's also minus-4, only minus player in top 13 in that time. (1/2)

Mario Lite, I suppose? Which would be AWESOME. Eichel's coach at BU, I think, was the one who talked about the similarity to Mario. And you can see it - Jack gets in the zone, assumes what looks like a wide stance (thanks, perverted Congressman!), sticks his ass out, gets his elbows wide, and no one can touch the puck. It's mesmerizing.

Yessir.

Reinhart is a good hockey player, who is going to get better. He is not the winger that Jack needs. Reinhart is a centre.

Good. But sub-optimal.

I agree. But I meant it in reference to the statement that Eichel's numbers would improve with good wingers. As much as Reinhart should be at centre, he's still helping Jack produce, within his current role.

More a comment on the help Jack IS getting, rather than about where Sam should be.

I agree. But I meant it in reference to the statement that Eichel's numbers would improve with good wingers. As much as Reinhart should be at centre, he's still helping Jack produce, within his current role.

More a comment on the help Jack IS getting, rather than about where Sam should be.

Somewhat related, I continue to be of the mind that part of the reason you want a superduperstar like Eichel at center is so you don't have to invest heavily in the wings. I think the mindset of "we have to get wingers to help Eichel" is a little bit reverse from how I see it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.