Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Guy that likes to spear people is mad he can't spear people any more. More at 11 with Irv and Rick.

He's mad because the game is meant to hit people as a defensive player, and when he isn't allowed to do that he gets hurt himself, or gets fined.

He's mad because the game is meant to hit people as a defensive player, and when he isn't allowed to do that he gets hurt himself, or gets fined.

I think it was Hyde who laid out a great hit in the game this past weekend without resorting to spearing the receiver (it might have been Amendola) and it looked like Amendola made a gesture of gratitude towards Hyde as they separated from the play.

You can hit hard and clean.  The problem is too many players are only trained to injure with their hits and so it's all they know.

I think it was Hyde who laid out a great hit in the game this past weekend without resorting to spearing the receiver (it might have been Amendola) and it looked like Amendola made a gesture of gratitude towards Hyde as they separated from the play.

You can hit hard and clean.  The problem is too many players are only trained to injure with their hits and so it's all they know.

I don't agree with everything he said, but you should give the Mitchell rant a listen (I'm inferring you did not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmhCGuC0wU

Part of his point is that the game of football is so fluid, fast, and variable that some hits end up being unclean through no fault of the defensive player. He described a play he had on Eifert two years ago in which he had intended to jump so as to tackle Eifert in his midsection (gut), but then the ball was mis-thrown and so he wound up making contact with Eifert's head. It's a fair frickin' point.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Part of his point is that the game of football is so fluid, fast, and variable that some hits end up being unclean through no fault of the defensive player. He described a play he had on Eifert two years ago in which he had intended to jump so as to tackle Eifert in his midsection (gut), but then the ball was mis-thrown and so he wound up making contact with Eifert's head. It's a fair frickin' point.

How is it that some guys seem to have those accidental dirty hits a lot? I'm not sure about the play referenced, but unless the receiver is super man, Mitchell probably could have just stayed on the ground and grabbed him around the legs while he was supposed to be in the air, or when the ball is mis-thrown, ends up getting mid-section or shoulders. I can't think of too many situations where jumping into a tackle makes sense.

(disclaimer: I don't watch enough or have ever played football to be certain, but looking from the outside it seems like a stretch)

I don't agree with everything he said, but you should give the Mitchell rant a listen (I'm inferring you did not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmhCGuC0wU

I watched it.  I watched a highlight reel of his hits.  I can't find the specific Eifert play you refer to.  The sport is so competitive that it goes two ways.  If Mitchell doesn't go all out and destroy offenders he's not going to have a career.  If offensive players get a case of alligator arms so they don't get hit they won't have a career either.  The sport, and the coaching, demand the players play as close to the edge or over rather than focus on safety of the player.  It's the way it goes..

In his highlight reel there are some hits he delivers that look flat out illegal (defenseless receiver) and some leading with this head.  There are others that are clean.

As for discipline being uneven?  We are hockey fans.  I think we know all too well about how that works.  You have players being trained now to turn their backs to a defender at the last moment and expose themselves to being hit from behind if they screw up the timing.  There are suicide passes in the NHL as well.  I think, however, the NHL's focus on reducing head contacts and lessening the reliance on BIG hits has lowered the overall "big hit" issue.  Football is a different story to be sure.  Hits are going to happen.  There's not an overarching set of policies you can put in place except to play flag football.  Of course I ended up with a bruised lung playing flag football once so I am not sure it really stops big hits from happening.

How is it that some guys seem to have those accidental dirty hits a lot? I'm not sure about the play referenced, but unless the receiver is super man, Mitchell probably could have just stayed on the ground and grabbed him around the legs while he was supposed to be in the air, or when the ball is mis-thrown, ends up getting mid-section or shoulders. I can't think of too many situations where jumping into a tackle makes sense.

(disclaimer: I don't watch enough or have ever played football to be certain, but looking from the outside it seems like a stretch)

As LTS notes below, the modern game is such that defenders routinely launch themselves at intended receivers. It is part of the game. If you're an LB or DB trying to make an NFL club and don't have that sort of impact play on tape somewhere, you're not getting picked, signed, or invited to a camp.

I watched it.  I watched a highlight reel of his hits.  I can't find the specific Eifert play you refer to.  The sport is so competitive that it goes two ways.  If Mitchell doesn't go all out and destroy offenders he's not going to have a career.  If offensive players get a case of alligator arms so they don't get hit they won't have a career either.  The sport, and the coaching, demand the players play as close to the edge or over rather than focus on safety of the player.  It's the way it goes..

In his highlight reel there are some hits he delivers that look flat out illegal (defenseless receiver) and some leading with this head.  There are others that are clean.

As for discipline being uneven?  We are hockey fans.  I think we know all too well about how that works.  You have players being trained now to turn their backs to a defender at the last moment and expose themselves to being hit from behind if they screw up the timing.  There are suicide passes in the NHL as well.  I think, however, the NHL's focus on reducing head contacts and lessening the reliance on BIG hits has lowered the overall "big hit" issue.  Football is a different story to be sure.  Hits are going to happen.  There's not an overarching set of policies you can put in place except to play flag football.  Of course I ended up with a bruised lung playing flag football once so I am not sure it really stops big hits from happening.

Agreed with most everything there, especially the bolded.

I think that Mitchell does a fair job of pointing out the inherent hypocrisy in the NFL wanting those sorts of dangerous plays (because it's good for business), but also reserving the right to punish that sort of play when it's politically expedient for the league to do so.

As LTS notes below, the modern game is such that defenders routinely launch themselves at intended receivers. It is part of the game. If you're an LB or DB trying to make an NFL club and don't have that sort of impact play on tape somewhere, you're not getting picked, signed, or invited to a camp.

I think that Mitchell does a fair job of pointing out the inherent hypocrisy in the NFL wanting those sorts of dangerous plays (because it's good for business), but also reserving the right to punish that sort of play when it's politically expedient for the league to do so.

This is part of the reason I don't really watch football any more. It's not enough to be an effective player, you have to try to hurt opponents.

Everyone wants big hits without the damage.  NASCAR loves big wrecks because that gets people out of their seats.  They just don't want anyone to get hurt in it.  It's really a statement on our society.  The problem is that even the hard, clean, hits cause significant damage to their bodies.  Offensive lineman are some of the worst and they never sustain the same level of hit that a receiver might take.  They just take so many hits, over and over again, that it adds up.

Honestly, having seen enough documentaries on how NFL players live their lives after the game I am surprised anyone wants to play the game.

I understand Mitchell's frustration but it's really unavoidable.  Even if he weren't fined for those hits all the NFL would do is lower the bar and set a new line someone would complain about.  

What is a sneaker head?

I'm guessing like one of my coworkers who buy sneakers like I buy booze. Weekly. It's some sort of left over teenage behavior that grown men think is acceptable. I think he owns hundreds of pairs. Unfortunately, somehow a very attractive woman allows this behavior, as that is usually the deterent.