Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

It wasn't. It was zone coverage and he released to the safety, who was uh, not in position.

New England was in 2 deep coverage and Kansas City sent 3 deep (I personally didn't see if there were 3 receivers releasing deep but I read that there were 3) so they had more people deep than defenders. Safety might have been on a deep receiver who was in the middle of the field (as he should be) which would leave Gilmore in a trail technique. 

From what I can gather it was just a good play call against the coverage NE was in. But I haven't seen an overhead view of the play develop so don't take this as being an account of what happened. 

Here's a video of the routes developing...

Like I suspected, they were 2 high with 3 receivers going deep. Safety reads the receivers inside to out so the safety on Gilmore's side is supposed to take away the receiver down the hash. As the receiver down the hash continues to cross the safety's face, he should pass the receiver off to the other safety. 

So from my eyes, it was a combination of Gilmore not converting to deep coverage fast enough once he saw no one was staying short in his zone, and the safety on his side not passing off the middle receiver quickly enough to reach the receiver on Gilmore's side. Tyreek Hill is fast as hell so it's easier said than done but it isn't like Gilmore was smoked in man coverage. KC put the defense in a bind by sending more receivers deep than KC could cover. 

https://twitter.com/BroadcastingBri/status/905986053269463040

Hmmm. Is true?

I found the quotes from the QB coach:

Directly pulled from this article:http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/qb_coach_david_culley_says_buffalo_bills_cant_wait_to_unleash_tyrod_taylor.html

"That's all going to change Sunday, according to Culley. 

"He can't wait to unleash it," Culley said. "And let me tell you this, we can't wait to unleash him. We're excited about Sunday with him. He can't wait. Again, talking about the preseason and maybe his struggles, we never saw it like that. We saw him as he's trying to get better at things. He's still learning a different offense. He's still learning how to be more comfortable in the pocket, and he did all that stuff. So we're comfortable with the fact that he's going through the process. Now, I would have liked for him to have not had a concussion against Baltimore and played into the third quarter, but that didn't happen. It is what it is.""

""But he was doing exactly during the preseason what we wanted him to do. Now that we're into the regular season, we just want him to be himself. These were just things that we wanted to work on to get better at. You play the game the way you play the game. He's an intelligent enough kid that he knows who he is, he knows what he is. Those things that we want to get him to improve on, he has worked tremendously to do that.""

Well, I'm making my annual pilgrimage to the Ralph this weekend. There's a real possibility of a 9-3 stinker, but it looks like it will be a nice day and I'll be tailgating, hanging out with friends and family and eating real wings.

And TT might do something amazing.

With good slot receivers and good coaching, is it possible Tyrod can be coached to and still learn to be a better over-the-middle passer?

I found the quotes from the QB coach:

Directly pulled from this article:http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/qb_coach_david_culley_says_buffalo_bills_cant_wait_to_unleash_tyrod_taylor.html

"That's all going to change Sunday, according to Culley. 

"He can't wait to unleash it," Culley said. "And let me tell you this, we can't wait to unleash him. We're excited about Sunday with him. He can't wait. Again, talking about the preseason and maybe his struggles, we never saw it like that. We saw him as he's trying to get better at things. He's still learning a different offense. He's still learning how to be more comfortable in the pocket, and he did all that stuff. So we're comfortable with the fact that he's going through the process. Now, I would have liked for him to have not had a concussion against Baltimore and played into the third quarter, but that didn't happen. It is what it is.""

""But he was doing exactly during the preseason what we wanted him to do. Now that we're into the regular season, we just want him to be himself. These were just things that we wanted to work on to get better at. You play the game the way you play the game. He's an intelligent enough kid that he knows who he is, he knows what he is. Those things that we want to get him to improve on, he has worked tremendously to do that.""

Exactly what I was expecting, essentially. Let's see if it worked.

I like to pretend that I'm with everyone else in the apathy department with this team, but I cannot stop myself from getting pumped up for tomorrow. I don't know if it was the way the Pats played, or the fact that we get the Jets at home. Maybe it's more about what it symbolizes - the start of sports season, the imminent fall (by far my favorite season) and all of its cultural and weather implications, the Sabres on the horizon. For the first time in my life, I don't get to spend it at my true home, but my heart is back in WNY where the air smells crisp and the leaves turn orange and fall to the ground, crinkling underneath the feet of backyard football stars. 

This football team might not be great, again, for the millionth time in a row. But for the millionth time in a row they will bring together thousands and thousands of fans for tailgating, triumph, and quite a bit of distress. I love being a tiny part of that community. 

My profanity tank is full and ready to be emptied tomorrow at noon.