Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Pegula fired everybody but Brandon. What more do you want from him?

Russ Brandon has to go. Then a real GM search followed by a real coaching search and serious moves to get a QB that can make basic NFL throws. That would do it.

Basically the Sabres model.

Russ Brandon has to go. Then a real GM search followed by a real coaching search and serious moves to get a QB that can make basic NFL throws. That would do it.

Basically the Sabres model.

What was illegitimate about the Bills GM and coaching search?

What was illegitimate about the Bills GM and coaching search?

On my way to dinner so I will have to summarize later. Basically, there was no serious search done. You'll have to find the Carucci yacht article. I'll link that when I get a chance.

These trades have tank all over it and listening to Bean's press conference sounder so insincere. "I might have made these trades independently", that's such horseshit. You downgraded the talent on the team in exchange for people to be able to fill in the vacant positions in exchange for draft picks. GMTM sang the same tune about not tanking, etc.

I believe the guy above who said Sammy wanted a trade. Can you blame him?

Keep buying the BS. It's people like you that keep the system in place. Other towns would not accept constant losing and no accountability.

"Other towns"?  

Joke's on you, I don't even live there...

7Y8VEks.gif

They need to just go all the way at this point. Hughes, Williams, McCoy, Taylor. Fire sale it. And I say this as someone who is not a proponent of tanking in football. But might as well now.

How must Kyle Williams feel? We convince the dude not to retire because we plan on competing, then make our team markedly worse after the first preseason game.

I don't think this was a tanking move.

If they were tanking, they wouldn't have brought back TT.

I think they decided that Watkins was either too injury-prone or too something else to be worth what it would cost to sign him long-term, and that Darby wasn't as good as the WR they got for him.  Presumably McD's opinion on Darby is a well-informed one.

Were these decisions correct?  We'll see.

Certainly Watkins' career has been substantially impaired by injury thus far.  And the "only missed 2 games with injury prior to this year" position is a red herring -- he was far from 100% for many of the games he suited up for.  He's also missed games with a bunch of different ailments.

I don't like losing a guy as talented as Watkins either, but I'm willing to give the new management the benefit of the doubt. 

FJae7Kq.jpg

Outstanding.

Trading away our best WR and CB before the season starts just screams tanking, IMO.

It's hard to argue it any other way but the kool-aid runs deep in Bills nation. Now I don't think they will be much worse for it but their talent pool is diminished.

Trading away our best WR and CB before the season starts just screams tanking, IMO.

Well, Watkins wasn't their best WR last year, because he missed most of the season, and Darby wasn't their best CB last year, nor was he projected to be their best CB this year (that would be White).

There's no question that Watkins would've been their best WR if healthy, but at this point that's a huge if.

I just think Beane and McD must know that if they start out with a couple of 4- or 5-win seasons, they are gone like DDB and XGMTM -- so they aren't going to tank. 

Well, Watkins wasn't their best WR last year, because he missed most of the season

That's like saying Gronk isn't the best TE because he gets hurt every year.  That is quite disingenuous.  Sammy was unquestionably our #1 WR.

and Darby wasn't their best CB last year, nor was he projected to be their best CB this year (that would be White).

No, but our best CB last year left for the champions (and I can't blame him).  As for Darby, I don't know anyone who projected White to be our #1 ahead of him.  He was a top 10 CB in his rookie year.

I just think Beane and McD must know that if they start out with a couple of 4- or 5-win seasons, they are gone like DDB and XGMTM -- so they aren't going to tank. 

Sure looks to me like they're trying to start out that way.

Except that McBean are collecting draft picks not trading them away like TM did.   Not saying they aren't tanking or at least retooling the way they want... should just say tooling... time will tell if those two are tools are actually creating something... again show me.   Jury is out... I'll give them that they taking a big risk by these trades, but if it makes the locker room better and team plays more cohesively then long term the team will be better.  My guess is that Shady may be gone too, with that offensive line and Jonathan Williams showing he can run, why wouldn't Leshon want to rack up some more numbers behind this line.  If the Bills can get a King's ransom for him, I'll bet the Bills do make a deal... say 2 1sts and a player.... Not sure anyone gives the Bills that though.

Edited by North Buffalo

You seem really invested in Billieving and shooting anyone down that is skeptical. Let me ask you a question. How many wins do you see the Bills winning in 2017?

How many wins do I see them winning?

All of them.

Agree to disagree, I think if they wanted to tank, they wouldn't have filled Watkins shoes with someone as capable as matthews, they would have started Holmes or Streater and same goes for Darby, he wasn't a "scheme" fit, Gianes was a first team all rookie honors in year 1 then got that injury, he came back this past year and struggled, much like Darby but without the injury. If we were packing it in I'd think they'd fill in those positions with scrubs, just my opinions though.

Does not look good enough for the explosive Bills offense that did not manage a 3rd down conversion in 40 minutes of the pre-season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNNeEuOlBKM

Really, throws a nice ball, but at this point telegraphed his passes and half of his completions would have been picked off by a competent defense.  Has a long way to go, but yes fairly accurate.

Except that McBean are collecting draft picks not trading them away like TM did. Not saying they aren't tanking or at least retooling the way they want... should just say tooling... time will tell if those two are tools are actually creating something... again show me. Jury is out... I'll give them that they taking a big risk by these trades, but if it makes the locker room better and team plays more cohesively then long term the team will be better. My guess is that Shady may be gone too, with that offensive line and Jonathan Williams showing he can run, why wouldn't Leshon want to rack up some more numbers behind this line. If the Bills can get a King's ransom for him, I'll bet the Bills do make a deal... say 2 1sts and a player.... Not sure anyone gives the Bills that though.

I don't know if you're the originator of "McBean", but I like it.

I want them to trade Shady and Matthews. Keep the defense and Oline so that they tank effectively, but next year could come in and have a new QB, Wrs, Rb, Also, I would be fine with trading Clay. Put Peterman in at Qb and see what you've got.

That would make sense. But the Bills are middling it. They want to lie to the fans and pretend they are pushing for the playoffs. And they want to claim they are setting us up for some golden future. But the truth is you can't win and rebuild at the same time. That's like pushing your foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time.

The keys were handed to a rookie head coach who was also given control of personnel. First big mistake was when Sean watched the film and did not evaluate the Bills roster correctly. Andy Benoit, of MMQB, watches massive amounts of film on every NFL team. He rated the Bills as having a bottom 5 roster. He was right. Sean then believed he was smart enough to coach up this roster to the playoffs and brought back Tyrod. This then triggered Sammy Watkins demand for a trade and he got jack squat for him.

Fans deserve better than this. But this is what happens when you have incompetent owners like the Pegulas who decide to not do a real GM and coaching search.

Here is the information on the coaching search from the Buffalo News. It demonstrates that they were not interviewing the best candidates with an open mind. Someone at One Bills Drive was pushing McDermott before he even interviewed here. Could it be the same guy who pushed Rex Ryan on the team when the football guys thought it was a bad idea?

One of those places was the NFL's Personnel Development Committee, which includes former Bills GM and Hall-of-Famer Bill Polian. Polian, fellow Hall-of-Famers Ron Wolf, Tony Dungy, John Madden and other committee members submitted a list of candidates that was distributed to all of the owners of teams searching for a new coach. McDermott's name jumped out at the Pegulas and they promptly made him the first of four candidates they would interview.

It was notable that, the day before the "formal" interview that would include Whaley and former director of player personnel Jim Monos, the Pegulas invited McDermott to join them for dinner on their yacht in Boca Raton, Fla.

He had the Pegulas at "hello." He impressed them so much, that as Kim drove McDermott to the airport after the next day's six-hour session, she was already telling him to have his wife (who had been invited to Boca Raton as well, but couldn't make the trip) call her for information about housing and other essentials in Western New York.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

Note that Sean's name "jumped out" off a list prior to any formal interviews! Why was that? Why was he the priority? Why were the Pegulas sold on him before interviewing anyone else? Why were the football people not there and Sean was hanging out on a yacht privately before interviewing or being asked ONE FOOTBALL question? Why was the list of other "interviews" so unimpressive? This was not a serious search folks. This was like when Pegula ran into Lafontaine and offered him complete control and Lafontaine told Terry he was not qualified.

Edited by jeffismagic

I want them to trade Shady and Matthews. Keep the defense and Oline so that they tank effectively, but next year could come in and have a new QB, Wrs, Rb, Also, I would be fine with trading Clay. Put Peterman in at Qb and see what you've got.

New RB????

Full Chubb or His name is Sony and he's my sex box.