Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

OBJ wouldn't be an NFL star. Pretty simple honestly 

after the Watkins pick...

"We went into this draft saying we were going to be bold, and we made a bold move," Bills CEO Russ Brandon said.

"We thought it was a calculated risk and a risk we were willing to take," Whaley said. "The high cost of not making the playoffs is something we weighed in and we thought this guy was going to get us to the playoffs."

oops

Consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are)... it at least one of the universes, the Bills never traded up for Watkins and took OBJ instead.    I wonder what that universe looks like.

Matthews is one of just five receivers to record 65 or more catches and 800 or more receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons along with Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss.

What has Watkins done besides miss games and getting caught from behind while showboating?   He's not a competitor.

They didn't trade Watkins for Matthews though, they traded Watkins for a CB with the same gimpy foot issues that Watkins has.

The real reason they were traded was because of their haircuts. McGinger doesn't want Rastafarians on his team. Gaines and Matthews have haircuts that you can set your watch too. That's what matters.

For the Patriots? Don't think so. They cut guys regularly that have all the talent in the world

Winners and Losers from the trades. Teams are at the bottom

Winners: Eagles, Bills

Losers: Rams

The Rams section is pretty interesting

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/20313763/winners-losers-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-philadelphia-eagles-mega-trades-sammy-watkins-jordan-matthews-ronald-darby

Who? They trade guys regularly rather than pay them, but that's not the same thing. They employ guys like Blount and Moss. They're just like any other team in this regard.

Consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are)... it at least one of the universes, the Bills never traded up for Watkins and took OBJ instead. I wonder what that universe looks like.

Matthews is one of just five receivers to record 65 or more catches and 800 or more receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons along with Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss.

What has Watkins done besides miss games and getting caught from behind while showboating? He's not a competitor.

Watkins first two seasons were better by a fair margin than any of Matthews' three. In a run heavy offense featuring EJ Manuel for one of those seasons. Yes, he had an injury ruined season last year, but he's head and shoulders above Matthews as a player. Matthews is one of those guys who a quick glance at the stat sheet he looks okay, but then you watch him play and he's not very good.

They didn't trade Watkins for Matthews though, they traded Watkins for a CB with the same gimpy foot issues that Watkins has.

The real reason they were traded was because of their haircuts. McGinger doesn't want Rastafarians on his team. Gaines and Matthews have haircuts that you can set your watch too. That's what matters.

I could see these trades spurring the selection of a Franchise QB and revamping of depth around him to pave the way to success for a decade or more.

I could also see these trades being exactly what you say, drafting RBs/CBs/WRs with those picks we got, and all of today being for the culture and discipline, pushing towards 30 years of no playoffs.

Watkins first two seasons were better by a fair margin than any of Matthews' three. In a run heavy offense featuring EJ Manuel for one of those seasons. Yes, he had an injury ruined season last year, but he's head and shoulders above Matthews as a player. Matthews is one of those guys who a quick glance at the stat sheet he looks okay, but then you watch him play and he's not very good.

If Watkins and Matthews (and their starting QBs) stay healthy this season, my money would be on Watkins only slightly out-producing Matthews.   

Who? They trade guys regularly rather than pay them, but that's not the same thing. They employ guys like Blount and Moss. They're just like any other team in this regard.

I gotta be honest here, I'm having trouble naming them. Traded Rodney Harrison, then that LB to Cleveland, cut some big name linemen, and some others

I gotta be honest here, I'm having trouble naming them. Traded Rodney Harrison, then that LB to Cleveland, cut some big name linemen, and some others

But again, trading a guy you don't want to pay, or trading someone you think is about to decline, is not the same thing as cutting someone for not "eating/breathing/sleeping" football.

FYI, they brought in Rodney Harrison, and he retired a Patriot.

Sorry, my friend, you've fallen for the hype.

I could see these trades spurring the selection of a Franchise QB and revamping of depth around him to pave the way to success for a decade or more.

I could also see these trades being exactly what you say, drafting RBs/CBs/WRs with those picks we got, and all of today being for the culture and discipline, pushing towards 30 years of no playoffs.

This reminds me of the Bruins and Seguin, the Chip Kelly regime and the Josh McDaniels Denver years. Coaches who get the keys and start thinking their systems are more important than talent in the field.

But again, trading a guy you don't want to pay, or trading someone you think is about to decline, is not the same thing as cutting someone for not "eating/breathing/sleeping" football.

FYI, they brought in Rodney Harrison, and he retired a Patriot.

Sorry, my friend, you've fallen for the hype.

Maybe I have but....

This reminds me of the Bruins and Seguin, the Chip Kelly regime and the Josh McDaniels Denver years. Coaches who get the keys and start thinking their systems are more important than talent in the field.

Belichick's is.

Considering it will be EXTREMELY difficult to be worse than the Jest & the Browns, that actually could work in the Bills' favor.

The Browns will be decent IMO, should have one of the best OLs in football, Watson might surprise as well.  

McDermott must still be wiping away his tears.... where is he?

Don't know enough to evaluate the CB swap, but I freakin' love Jordan Matthews and I really like the swap of WR. Matthews was the best player I ever saw at Vanderbilt. Watkins, as we all know, is injury prone... and he would have been gone at the end of the year. I think the move makes sense.

Maybe I have but....

Belichick's is.

Belichick also is Belichick and has Brady. And his systems or cheating require a certain type of player at certain positions. That is fine. The issue is when you are so concerned about culture and scheme fit that you get taken to the cleaners on talent. McDermott is not Belichick and never will be. McDermott is a grinder, try hard coach. Belichick is a master strategist. While McD is playing with his index cards Bill B will have analyzed 15 paths to victory on his decision matrix.

Chip Kelly and Josh McDaniels thought they were Belichick when they made their personnel moves and they both got burned. As Sean and his Bean counter will get burned.

Edited by jeffismagic

Belichick also is Belichick and has Brady. And his systems or cheating require a certain type of player at certain positions. That is fine. The issue is when you are so concerned about culture and scheme fit that you get taken to the cleaners on talent. McDermott is not Belichick and never will be. McDermott is a grinder, try hard coach. Belichick is a master strategist. While McD is playing with his index cards Bill B will have analyzed 15 paths to victory on his decision matrix.

The NFL is the only sport where your 2nd most important person in the entire organization is your head coach. You could give Belichick the Browns roster and I bet he beats a McGinger run Patriots 

The Browns could very well be better than us. It's the Jets and the 49's that will be 1-2

:doh:

Forgot it was the LAST draft that the Browns had 1/3 of all available picks. Yup, the Whiners will be Jest-level bad.

Either way, still very difficult to get 1st or 2nd pick w/out a lottery.

I bet most teams would love to have a not so good WR who puts up close to 80 catches and 900 yards a season. And is actually in the lineup for more than half a season.

Lots of guys can get 900 yards with over 100 targets. Matthews had 804 yards on 117 targets last year. He had 3 TDs. He was 48th in the league in receiving yards. Whoop de freaking doo. He's Robert Woods.

As to injuries, Sammy missed two games in his first two season. Yes, he was cooked last year...by a very serious injury that also ruined years for scrubs like Julio Jones and Dez Bryant.

The NFL is the only sport where your 2nd most important person in the entire organization is your head coach. You could give Belichick the Browns roster and I bet he beats a McGinger run Patriots

I'll take Brady and any coach over Belichick and Cody Kessler and whoever else the Browns have trotted out in recent years.