Justin Falk signed to 1 year extension

Brawndo

Interesting move. Are we protecting Falk in expansion?

Potential theory: teams can either protect 3 D and 7 F's or 8 skaters in total in the expansion draft.  

We know Risto and McCabe are 2 protected D. Who's the 3rd? Maybe it's Falk. GMTM isn't going to protect Bogo or Gorges. Kuli is an UFA.

Having a 3rd to protect enables protecting 7 F's instead of only 6 under the 8 skaters in total option. 

I think Falk has been more than serviceable and takes over Franson's 3rd pair minutes next year, with hopefully Guhle and a FA (Kuli or another) slotting in above him as well. 

It seems like they were looking for insurance in case they move some D-men at the deadline. Need to expose at least one Dman who is under contract next year w 40 games.  It also protects against wavier claims if we need to send Falk down. 

would think they protect:
Risto 

McCabe

Fedun?  Not sure who else you would put here. Fedun is a 

Or are we putting him out there as a cheap, decent D man for the expansion draft?

Potential theory: teams can either protect 3 D and 7 F's or 8 skaters in total in the expansion draft.  

We know Risto and McCabe are 2 protected D. Who's the 3rd? Maybe it's Falk. GMTM isn't going to protect Bogo or Gorges. Kuli is an UFA.

Having a 3rd to protect enables protecting 7 F's instead of only 6 under the 8 skaters in total option. 

I think Falk has been more than serviceable and takes over Franson's 3rd pair minutes next year, with hopefully Guhle and a FA (Kuli or another) slotting in above him as well. 

We signed him to a year year deal for trade flexibility at the deadline?

Gorges and Franson can now be actively shopped as depth d men to teams because we solidified our depth.

pending UFA thought. 

Expose
Gorges 

Kulikov

Falk

Gorges

Franson
Bogosian 

This is a pretty good theory.  It's certainly at least possible that GMTM gave Falk this contract in order to preserve this option -- more specifically, to preserve the option of exposing Bogo in the expansion draft.

I am by no means a resident of the Bogo bunker, but it's undeniable that (i) Bogo is under contract for 3 more seasons after this season at a $5.1MM per year cap hit, plus a no-trade clause and (ii) he's missed 17 games or more with injury for SIX seasons in a row (15 in the 48-game lockout season).

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if GMTM were to decide that he'd rather have the cap space for the next 3 seasons than have Bogo.

Why on Earth would that ever happen?

Waiver protection.

Or are we putting him out there as a cheap, decent D man for the expansion draft?

This is why I said it was an interesting move. It means that Falk is here for the duration of the season and likely has secured a 6/7 slot for next season unless he is exposed and for some reason taken by LV.

But I think there is a reason to protect him. This exposes both Bogo and Gorges to expansion and if one is taken this clears a significant amount of money under the cap, which could be used to pay someone like Shattenkirk or Fowler or.....

However, this signing also gives us 6 D signed for next season assuming neither Bogo or Gorges is lost to expansion and Guhle makes the team. I doubt we'll start next season with McCabe, Risto, Gorges, Bogo, Falk and Guhle as our D group; at least I hope not.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here and I’m thankful for the opportunity they’re giving me,” Falk said. “As much as this has been a great thing to happen to me, I can’t forget about my wife and everything that she’s done and stuck with me in the transition of five, six different teams in four or five years. You throw in two kids along the way, this is as much for her as it is for me.”...http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/06/sabres-notebook-falk-gets-security-grant-reclaimed/

Tough dude on the ice, good guy off it.

Good for him, i'm not sure it brings the stability he thinks though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.