Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

https://twitter.com/canadiensmtl/status/876134850692083714

This is a steal.

Wow, that's a hell of a nice value move. Is he instantly our 2nd best defenseman? 3rd at worst, right?

Anyway, this is exactly the type of thing I expect from Botterill addressing the D. Now I'm even more convinced we're not going up major assets for a big name.

Wow, that's a hell of a nice value move. Is he instantly our 2nd best defenseman? 3rd at worst, right?

Anyway, this is exactly the type of thing I expect from Botterill addressing the D. Now I'm even more convinced we're not going up major assets for a big name.

Agreed.

Yup, you called it. And Dudacek.

That's a good sign

Definitely.

I guess the Sabres aren't protecting Bogosian. Or they are going the 8-1 route.

They'll need to work on a deal with Beaulieu soon, right? Currently an RFA.

Or maybe they've already worked on a deal to assure Vegas doesn't take him. Either way, he'll need a contract.

McCabe - Ristolainen

Beaulieu - Antipin

Falk - Bogosian

One more low key add to bump Falk down to 7th d man?

Good stuff, Bottz.

Edited by Thorny

Really good stuff. Underperforming, former top prospect who can move the puck, has speed and is still young. Perfect project with high ceiling for Housley.

One red flag is a brash party rep that is similar to Kane's (instagram, etc.). Those two might not be a good match. 

Edited by GrassValleyGreg

Really good stuff. Underperforming, former top prospect who can move the puck, has speed and is still young. Perfect project with high ceiling for Housley.

Perfect summary.  His value is at an all-time low and he's a former 1st round pick that has all the tools that guy like Housley could work with.

And we traded a 3rd round pick in a draft that is supposed to be weak (and we still have another 3rd this year anyway).  

So at this point, Vegas will likely choose one of Ullmark, Moulson, Ennis or Bogo, right?

I still think they'll take Ullmark unless JBott pays them not to do so.

What's it worth to keep Ullmark and for Vegas to take one of the other 3?  The other 3rd-rounder?  I think I'd pay that but not the Sabres' 2nd-rounder.

What about a prospect?  Would it be worth Carrier or Baptiste?   

So at this point, Vegas will likely choose one of Ullmark, Moulson, Ennis or Bogo, right?

What's it worth to keep Ullmark and for Vegas to take one of the other 3? The other 3rd-rounder? I think I'd pay that but not the Sabres' 2nd-rounder.

What about a prospect? Would it be worth Carrier or Baptiste?

No freaking way. Frankly I'm not willing to pay much of anything. I'd rather not lose Ullmark, but I'm also not as high on him as seemingly everyone.

What's it worth to keep Ullmark and for Vegas to take one of the other 3?  The other 3rd-rounder?  I think I'd pay that but not the Sabres' 2nd-rounder.

What about a prospect?  Would it be worth Carrier or Baptiste?   

I would give them a 6th not to take him, maybe a 4th.  Of course our 4th is only 10picks lower than our 3rd now so. I just don't see paying Vegas assets to take other assets in our case. 

No freaking way. Frankly I'm not willing to pay much of anything. I'd rather not lose Ullmark, but I'm also not as high on him as seemingly everyone.

That's about where I'm at, too.  I'd rather not lose him.

Besides, the Sabs can always trade pick no 8 to Montreal for Carey Price.

He is about the only legit prospect we have in goal now, right? I would almost think we'd have to protect him for that reason alone.

But there's also the real value of getting Vegas to take one of the albatross contracts -- which is a bigger factor than keeping/losing Ullmark, IMHO.

He is about the only legit prospect we have in goal now, right? I would almost think we'd have to protect him for that reason alone.

Meh. Unless we're trading Lehner for a pick, he's going to be around for at least a few more years. I think Ullmark probably ends up league average if he's a starter...I think I can replace that fairly easily if we move on from Lehner after his next contract.

But there's also the real value of getting Vegas to take one of the albatross contracts -- which is a bigger factor than keeping/losing Ullmark, IMHO.

I'm certainly willing to pay to get out from under a contract, but that would be the reason, not to protect Ullmark. Same outcome, I suppose, but very different motivation.

Wasn't there a report from a Vegas reporter that said a deal was in place for them to take Moulson??? Or am I mis-remembering again?? Of those options I think I'd like to keep Bogo and see if Housley can turn him around. I think DDB miscast him probably as much as anyone else on the team.

Nice trade. Honestly, we're in a better position than just about any team in the league right now, since we have far less talent (easier decision on which players to protect) than most teams.

:(

I think we have less depth, certainly less talent on D but our forwards and goalies match up well against most teams

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how will the VGK's trades be announced?  I can't see the NHL stating that "the Sabres traded their 4th round pick for the VGK for then to have to choose Zack Bogosian."  But they can't leave it without outlining some type of compensation like, the Sabres send their 4th round pick to the VGK for "we're not going to tell you why".  How will this work??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.