What are your unpopular hockey opinions?

Randall Flagg

This is great! Going into today's games, every coach and GM and player in the Eastern Conference can tell themselves and their fans they have a great shot at the playoffs. Each and every team is at .500 or above!

(I secretly hope for a season where every team goes undefeated in regulation and they can each put up a banner to celebrate it, Seattle Mariners style.)

This is great! Going into today's games, every coach and GM and player in the Eastern Conference can tell themselves and their fans they have a great shot at the playoffs. Each and every team is at .500 or above!

(I secretly hope for a season where every team goes undefeated in regulation and they can each put up a banner to celebrate it, Seattle Mariners style.)

Shades of Adams '86. Buffalo finished 5th & out of the playoffs w/ 80 points (a LEGIT 0.500).

- I think a lot of you are crazy stupid and it keeps me from reading the boards a lot of the time. I realize the same can be said about me, but you wanted unpopular opinions. 

- I don't think this team is as bad as you think right now. Bottom of the Atlantic, yes, but the Bottom has been raised. We are ABOVE .500 and tied for Last place. That's pretty crazy. And as it stands, with 3 games in hand we're 5 points out of 3rd. The parity in the Atlantic this year is real, and if 5 points separates playoffs from Bottom feeders, you don't suck if you're outside looking in. 

- I think the team is playing better hockey this year than last year. 

- Based on his play I would re-sign Gionta to a 2year/6mil contract if he's okay with not being Captain anymore.

- I think Nillsson has earned the right to start over Lehner so far. 

- The Kane Trade was a good trade. Myers is worthless, Armia isn't what I hoped he would be and Stafford is one of the blandest players to ever play in the NHL. 

- Ristolainen is going to turn out to be the best contract GMTM makes. He already is earning it this year, but next year I think we'll be thinking we're lucky if we had him signed at 7 mil/year

- I can live without Girgensons. 

- Deslauries is useless, if he's worth anything, send him packing. Even a 7th round pick. Hell, some of those future considerations. 

- I hate when Eichel plays with Foligno and Moulson or Gionta etc.. He's too fast for them and they cannot keep up with his rush. Ennis is a terrible idea on his wing too cuz you don't need two guys to carry and hold. 

- Guhle should be called up. We aren't winning the cup this year. Get him his experience now, for next year.

- If you can convince him to waive his NT/NM clause, leave Moulson unprotected for the expansion draft. He's almost a guaranteed pickup for a team that needs to fill salary with a little bit of talent. 

- Call Nylander up ASAP. Same reasons as Guhle. 

- I think Ennis still has a 20 goal season in him somewhere.  Maybe not this year, but next. 

- I think a lot of you are crazy stupid and it keeps me from reading the boards a lot of the time. I realize the same can be said about me, but you wanted unpopular opinions.

- I don't think this team is as bad as you think right now. Bottom of the Atlantic, yes, but the Bottom has been raised. We are ABOVE .500 and tied for Last place. That's pretty crazy. And as it stands, with 3 games in hand we're 5 points out of 3rd. The parity in the Atlantic this year is real, and if 5 points separates playoffs from Bottom feeders, you don't suck if you're outside looking in.

- Based on his play I would re-sign Gionta to a 2year/6mil contract if he's okay with not being Captain anymore.

- The Kane Trade was a good trade. Myers is worthless, Armia isn't what I hoped he would be and Stafford is one of the blandest players to ever play in the NHL.

- Ristolainen is going to turn out to be the best contract GMTM makes. He already is earning it this year, but next year I think we'll be thinking we're lucky if we had him signed at 7 mil/year

- Deslauries is useless, if he's worth anything, send him packing. Even a 7th round pick. Hell, some of those future considerations.

- I hate when Eichel plays with Foligno and Moulson or Gionta etc.. He's too fast for them and they cannot keep up with his rush. Ennis is a terrible idea on his wing too cuz you don't need two guys to carry and hold.

- Guhle should be called up. We aren't winning the cup this year. Get him his experience now, for next year.

- If you can convince him to waive his NT/NM clause, leave Moulson unprotected for the expansion draft. He's almost a guaranteed pickup for a team that needs to fill salary with a little bit of talent.

- I think Ennis still has a 20 goal season in him somewhere. Maybe not this year, but next.

There certainly are more opinionated posters now than there has been in the past. Guhle may be able to play in the NHL right now but burning a year of his ELC isn't worth whatever he'd gain. Nylander just isn't ready, he gets manhandled in the AHL. He'd get destroyed in the National League.

Back to the Deluca .500 issue. 19-18-9 isn't over .500. it's 19 wins and 27 losses.

Edited by inkman

- I think Ennis still has a 20 goal season in him somewhere. Maybe not this year, but next.

Good post, I agree on most of these.

When you measure a hockey trade, whoever gets the best player typically wins the trade. I think Kane is the best player in that deal. Without him and Bogo I don't think we win those last two games.

I also think they're better than last year, just some nights they look like last years team, consistency is a major issue.

Protect Ennis and Carrier, which means they expose Foligno and/or Girgensons.

As long as they're in the playoff hunt I think Nylander and Guhle stay put. If they slip out of contention then they should get a look.

There are two reasons I don't want Guhle or Nylander up here right now

1) I don't think they're ready. Rushing prospects can ruin them. Though tbf, Guhle did play well up here

2) I don't want them exposed to Byslma as their first NHL coach

I think Guhle can only come up as an emergency recall anyway, innit?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.