Sweet '16 Final: Eichel (OT) vs. Eichel (top shelf)

PASabreFan

What is your choice in the final round?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice in the final round?

• Eichel's overtime goal
    • Eichel's top shelf goal

March 12
Hurricanes

How do you do a last-second overtime winner? Jack Eichel and Rick Jeanneret showed us how.

December 27
at Wings

Jack Eichel (who else?!) excuses himself past Thomas Vanek and stuffs the burrito under the bar, prompting Wings color commentator Mickey Redmond to say a mouthful: "Oh my God!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ee4Qdp0nko

Everything about the OT goal is electric. How focused Rick is, how the noise escalates as the crowd slowly stands up, realizing he's going to get to the puck and how little movement Jack actually had to do to open up Cam, knowing full well there'd be a gaping hole there. Best goal for the Sabres since Ennis in game 5. 

After watching them both, for the first time these two back to back, I come to realize that the reason I was going to vote for the OT goal was based on the emotion from RJ during his call and not the play itself.

The Detroit goal is a goal that only a hand full of players in the world during their prime could ever make, the play-by-play call didn't do it justice.

I voted Detroit, with the sound off.

After watching them both, for the first time these two back to back, I come to realize that the reason I was going to vote for the OT goal was based on the emotion from RJ during his call and not the play itself.

The Detroit goal is a goal that only a hand full of players in the world during their prime could ever make, the play-by-play call didn't do it justice.

This is a great point.

Definitely worth taking into consideration, but I think there's more to a "goal of the year" than just technicality. This wasn't a "which goal was the most difficult to pull off" contest, you know? I think you have to take the moment into account, and everything about it. With respect to level of difficulty, I think there are goals that are ahead of the Detroit one, given the defense that Vanek decided to play. I can't remember if it was in the 2016 calendar year or not, but last season Ennis scored this absolutely ridiculous goal from kind of behind the net, it's hard to describe, but it would rank above this one for me. So would the kick-pass to Zemgus, who then roofed it from perhaps even closer to the goalie. The center-ice goals definitely wouldn't have made the competition if this was the sole judging factor. 

I think it was incredibly badass for Jack to be so calm, knowing there were only a couple seconds left, and taking such a cheeky shot, that would have looked pathetic if he had failed.

Had to go with the OT goal, mainly because I was there in person amd it was amazing. I was the first person in our section to stand up when I saw Jack getting into open ice as Kane was about to flip the puck up to him. And after he scored, the good looking woman sitting to my right whom I never met before, attacked me in a good way. What a great day.

Edited by Claude Balls

Interesting - I voted for the OT goal because it included and involved a bunch of other stuff extrinsic to the goal/play itself.

The Wings goal was a greater display of talent (a huge one, at that), but the OT goal was magical. It's really a toss up.

Yep.

Yea, I had to go with the OT goal because of everything involved with it. 

Yep, yep.

This needs to tighten up. For ratings/clicks. Maybe I'll come back later and show how, when the N. Carolina ex-pat vote comes in, the race will tighten.

I think the voting is tighter than it looks; the Saberlectoral College has a way of distorting the vote.