GDT: Buffalo @ Detroit 12-27-2016, 7:56pm est

WildCard

do u think Murray would/should make a move during the season?

trade him now

I think he should.

You know, Kane might not like not being in the Top Six, but I think he gets a lot more opportunity to score playing on the third line.

Yup. He's a good third liner if you have the depth to push him down the roster.

Three best players for the Sabres have to be Kane, Eichel and Lehner.  But I also think Sam had his best game at center.  He had the goal, but defensively I thought he did very well.  Maybe not ROR well, but if he can play that well defensively during Ryan's absence I think the Sabres will be okay.  That line wasn't terribly effective though; Okposo had an inconsistent game and seemed like he had trouble syncing up with Reinhart, and Girgs was largely invisible.  Even so, that line ate up their minutes.  They ended up -1 each though.

I remarked during the game that I liked the game Foligno and Carrier were having.  Both of them were physical presences on the ice, Foligno with the fight and an assist on Eichel's goal, and a lot of good play to maintain possession for the Sabres, and disrupt the Red Wings.  Carrier was a physical force as well, with a team-high 6 hits.

I think the team took a step forward today, managing to win without one of their best players on the ice.  They played inspired, desperate hockey for much of the game, with good positioning that made their active sticks effective.  Detroit didn't have too many periods of sustained offensive zone time.

Still, in the third period, they did lay back a bit once they scored the go-ahead goal.  I really wish this team would go for that extra goal and really put their boot on the opposing team's throat.

I'll take a win. Kane looked good. Eichel looked like he had a rocket shoved up him on the back check. Zetterberg spent the entire game shooting at Lenny's head and got lucky once. Watching Eichel undress Vanek for his goal was nice and gave me horrible flashbacks at the same time. As did Vanek's goal, I mean the flashbacks, nothing nice about that.

On to the next one...

I lied... I didn't start with a 10% abv beer... I was actually sober through 2 period of play.

But the vodka set in quickly.

Okay.. Eichel has GOT to stop just throwing the puck around. He's got a long way to go... but the good news is that he's getting there.  His shot is ridiculous and his goal was a great example of "Dude, I don't need the goalies head to put it up that high."  It was sweet and that's what we need to more often.  His throwing passes around because he THINKS guys are there has to stop.

No hate on him.. but he's gotta be more disciplined on some parts of his game.

Lehner is killing me following the puck.  He's like a dog and a ball.. go fetch.. oh sorry boy, I didn't throw it.. fooled you.

Still trapped in their end too much... just not strong enough there.

Kane... great game.  His hands looked a little slower on the fight but we can give him a pass.

Eichel's goal left me feeling like I need to ask everyone I see tomorrow if they saw "the goal". It left me giddy knowing that guy is ours. Unreal.

Good way to describe it. Jack frequently does awesome things. But every once in awhile, he does truly special things. Tonight's goal was truly special.

Eichel's goal left me feeling like I need to ask everyone I see tomorrow if they saw "the goal". It left me giddy knowing that guy is ours. Unreal.

I thought the shootout roofjob on Lehner the other game was the sickest move to the top of the net I'd ever seen. Then this. This wasn't top shelf, this was some sick ceiling nook where Papa hid the Ho Hos.

Scrapbook material?

I wuzza jussboutta do it.

Lehner is scary to watch. Then again so is our defense.

I mentioned the other day that I don't watch the games, but I do watch the condensed highlights on sabres.com which has a lot more than just scoring plays. Last night seemed like a train wreck for Lehner on numerous occasions. Can you superimpose Lehner onto the high pressure of a playoff series? His skillset, his temperament... I just don't see it how it works.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.