The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Bananas are remarkably consistent. But there's the odd clunker. I've been buying the organic ones and it's the only organic produce to date that doesn't taste better than the non-organic. Bananas gonna banan. The organic ones don't ripen as fast, as they're not gassed to speed up the proh-cess.

I bought an inversion table and have been using it a little more than a week. I have a spinal fusion at L5/S1 and I’m sure a lot of you know what sort of grueling work I’m involved in. What a wonderful tool! Back/neck/hips feel really good. It’s even helping the knee and shoulder that have been waiting for repairs. It’s not comfortable atoll to hang by your ankles but I’ll put up with it six minutes a day to feel like a human again.

The Mrs. Nicknamed mine.

Twirl-a-Racer.

Then a soak in the hot tub.

This routine means no muscle relaxers and no trips tho the chiropractor. Saving money and my liver all naturally.

The Mrs. Nicknamed mine.

Twirl-a-Racer.

Then a soak in the hot tub.

This routine means no muscle relaxers and no trips tho the chiropractor. Saving money and my liver all naturally.

I’m blown away at how good I feel. Six minute invert and forty minute soak. There are beers though so the liver still takes a hit.

My doctor gave me a note for the hot tub

that I submitted for medical supp reimbursement. No problems atoll. They’d rather approve my my own money for these things as to have me submitting to insurance for PT/chiropractor/meds.

I believe that’s called “thinking with your dipstick “.

While this idea of over commercialization is fresh with me.

My seven year old nephew announced at Easter brunch that he was going to drink Bud light so he could say “dilly dilly”.

So idk where to post this, but the gal and I are booking a long trip in November to Portugal and some other countries, but the flights out of Toronto were dirt cheap (like 400 round trip cheap compared to 1500 from Buffalo) but that means driving to Toronto, parking, etc etc....

My question is, is there anyone in/near Toronto that would be willing to help out with letting me park or helping with Uber or train. The parking there is pricey from what I remember and I know we have some Canadian faithful here on the forum. Any help or advice appreciated.

Amtrak goes from Buffalo to TO.  Never done it.  tempted to give it a try for a day trip.

I take Amtrak a lot.  A LOT, as in they know my face and name at the station downtown, and sometimes even on the train.  You don't want to take Amtrak to Toronto.  It's an hour, at least, at the border.  Just look at the schedule for the Maple Leaf (that's the route) and note the time difference.

I'm also flying overseas in the summer out of YYZ.  I think we're just going to take a car service.  The savings will be more than enough to cover it.

Also, PA, I don't live in a rural area, but the City of Buffalo is not affluent by any means.  And I couldn't tell you where a DVD rental place is, other than the Redbox machine outside of Walgreen's.

Edited by Eleven

i used to take VIA Rail from Niagra Falls to Toronto all the time. The station there is 15 feet off the Whirlpool bridge as I recall, drive through customs, leave the car in the station lot, and off you go. Of course, this was fifteen years ago the last time I did it.., And still doesn't get you anywhere near the airport.

i used to take VIA Rail from Niagra Falls to Toronto all the time. The station there is 15 feet off the Whirlpool bridge as I recall, drive through customs, leave the car in the station lot, and off you go. Of course, this was fifteen years ago the last time I did it.., And still doesn't get you anywhere near the airport.

Another good point.

I’m blown away at how good I feel. Six minute invert and forty minute soak. There are beers though so the liver still takes a hit.

My doctor gave me a note for the hot tub

that I submitted for medical supp reimbursement. No problems atoll. They’d rather approve my my own money for these things as to have me submitting to insurance for PT/chiropractor/meds.

I believe that’s called “thinking with your dipstick “.

Congrats on the home-cooked PT.

However: did I understand you correctly? Did you say that you got a hot tub installed at home and your employer paid for it?

Nice benefit!

Congrats on the home-cooked PT.

However: did I understand you correctly? Did you say that you got a hot tub installed at home and your employer paid for it?

Nice benefit!

Technically I paid for it. The fund is a medical supp fund. My precheck monies go into the fund without paying tax. If an administrator decides if the uninsurable items will be covered then I can use my own money.

I’ve haven’t contributed to this particular fund for several years, opting to put in into an annuity.(also without tax).

It’s all my money that I have to ask for which rubs some people the wrong way but your right, nice benefit.

Did you eat a plantain? The most bland thing I've ever eaten. Take a potato, shape it like a banana and remove all flavor. Plantain.

:unsure:

Not exactly what I was expecting from you Inky.  :flirt:

It may have been a plantain.  They are right next to the bananas at my favourite local grocer.

:unsure:

Not exactly what I was expecting from you Inky.  :flirt:

It may have been a plantain.  They are right next to the bananas at my favourite local grocer.

Oh. But have you had fried plantains.

Them suckers be delectable. 

No, they're pretty much how Ink described them, only fried.  Everything tastes better fried.

Aw I dunno. I've had plantains a few ways- they are a very starchy food, more like a potato than a fruit. But done right in the fryer, those evil things are the perfect salty/sweet combo. One of the few perks of my last job was a coworker who was Dominican and she'd make them fairly frequently to bring in. Mercy. 

... fun completely random fact to do with bananas... the fact is somewhat argued, but the Gros Michel banana nearly went extinct and most farms switched to the Cavendish. The cavendish banana is what you get in the stores. The Gros Michel is a much more pungent/flavorful fruit- and much closer to what artificial banana flavoring tastes like. Also... there's a chance a disease will wipe out the Cavendish and then... no bananas.

Also on the fruit flavoring topic... didja know that more raspberry flavoring (and vanilla and strawberry) used to be "natural flavoring" not from raspberries, but from a beaver's castoreum? Yep, beaver a nal gland secretions. Still used today, but not to the same extent. But it IS used in perfume commonly! Just like ol' ambergris... aka whale vomit.

ok this concludes Jo's random dumb fact dump 

Edited by josie

I thought it was Vanilla that they used Beaver juice for, since actual vanilla is crazy hard to get. I could be completely wrong though..,

Wait, you actually typed vanilla and I can’t read. Disregard.

I think I read somewhere there'll be a shortage of vanilla soon because it is used so much.

Artificial vanilla is actually partially from wood pulp, I believe. 

Oh. But have you had fried plantains.

Them suckers be delectable.

Like lobster being a butter delivery system or wings eschewing the sauce to the pallet a plantain is a wonderful sponge to whatever you slap on it as it has no original flavor.

And the Dominican girl I dated who made them, delicious.