The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

I love the real estate talk, but here's a break from it...

Do you guys have pet insurance for your four-legged friends?

We got the chip installed to track her when she was a little pup, but other than that we haven't gone the insurance route. We have enough savings to cover any vet bills that come up (including that surgery last Thanksgiving - ouch) so we haven't felt the need.

We got the chip installed to track her when she was a little pup, but other than that we haven't gone the insurance route. We have enough savings to cover any vet bills that come up (including that surgery last Thanksgiving - ouch) so we haven't felt the need.

Nationwide has one with a $250 deductible where 90% of any vet expense is reimbursed. Anything. But it's pricey, around $1000/year for the breed/age of my dog. So I would have to spend $1400 before I started seeing a savings. Obviously if something major happens, it's worth it. But I took her to the vet today and only dropped $380. That should be it for the year- I had physical, blood work, intestinal exam, the few vaccines she needed this year, and a year supply of both heart worm and flea/tick meds. 

There are others that cover way less but are obviously far cheaper. All seem to have a $125 to $250 deductible. If I'm only spending $400, I might led it ride until she's older (only 2 and in perfect health now). 

It's sad, but she had a good run.  She was 13.  She was diagnosed with cancer last year.  Up until recently she acted like her usual self.  The last few weeks she was sleeping more, and on Monday she stopped eating.  It was time.  :(

To treat the actual cancer would have been about $8000, and there was no guarantee of success.

It's sad, but she had a good run.  She was 13.  She was diagnosed with cancer last year.  Up until recently she acted like her usual self.  The last few weeks she was sleeping more, and on Monday she stopped eating.  It was time.  :(

To treat the actual cancer would have been about $8000, and there was no guarantee of success.

Sorry, man. This is indeed rough. I have two elderly Bulldogs on borrowed time. I can only hope to face the end, when it inevitably comes, with as much fortitude as you have here.

Sorry for your loss.

I find that our furry family members always gave us a lot more than they took.  F CANCER!!

I was always reluctant to shop online.  Was afraid of having my VISA compromised.

A friend told me about how they only use VISA gift cards to shop online.

Short story ... I am now addicted to Amazon.ca (and a few other sites) and VISA gift card online shopping.

I think you are worrying too much. Most major credit cards offer $0 liability in cases of fraud so that even if your card is compromised, you can report it stolen and you don't have to pay for the fraudulent charges and they'll just issue you a new card with new numbers. The one you really need to be wary of is using a debit card online. If that gets compromised they could empty your account and you're in for some serious headaches to even get that money returned.

Other than food, I do almost all of my shopping online and I've never had an issue. My parent's credit card has been stolen a few times, but I think one instance came from the Target breach and it happened from them shopping at Target in person. Another instance they suspect happened at a gas station while they were on a road trip and someone used some sort of device reader to steal his numbers, but again that happened in person, not online. New cards and numbers issued and they never had to pay a cent towards any of the fraudulent charges.

Edited by Alkoholist

OK.

But as I have said before, just because I'm paranoid does not mean that they are not actually out to get me.

No worries, man. I was just offering some food for thought. Gift cards are a good way to go, just make sure you never use a debit card online if you can avoid it. Welcome to the joys of online shopping.

I was always reluctant to shop online.  Was afraid of having my VISA compromised.

A friend told me about how they only use VISA gift cards to shop online.

Short story ... I am now addicted to Amazon.ca (and a few other sites) and VISA gift card online shopping.

Side note: I think the CC companies still offer a service of temporary card numbers. Find something you want, go to visa.com or whatever, get a temporary number with a limit, put those into sketchyweb.com's site and get what you want.

Side note: I think the CC companies still offer a service of temporary card numbers. Find something you want, go to visa.com or whatever, get a temporary number with a limit, put those into sketchyweb.com's site and get what you want.

I do a lot of purchasing for my office. We've had our main company CC compromised in the past, so now our accounting dept creates these "virtual" cards. It's handy! I haven't ever tried it for personal use though.

So I'm grilling some chicken tonight. My grill won't get above 250 degrees. I replaced tank during the session with little to no improvement. Thoughts?

You might want to cook that chicken a little longer than you normally do.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)