The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Oh, good point.  I missed that part.

Or maybe they were just sloppy in their language.

Yeah. Hopefully they were correct on the virus part, because not only is it bad to take antibiotics for non-bacteria things, but they give me terrible UTIs and stomach aches and screw up my IBS stuff too. Sooooo it's an easy choice based on what I know 

My dad had a cousin that was an artist.  When my parents were young, they went to him and asked him to do a portrait.  After much discussion, it was finally decided that it would be a portrait of just my mom (it's one of those ones where the eyes seem to follow you around the room!) and it's hanging in my house now.  The bottom line was my dad's cousin didn't think he could do a flattering portrait of my dad and told him so!

haha oh man, I would never tell a client that (but family's different, eh). But that is why I never, no matter how many times people suggest it to me/it shows up on job opening searches, will ever take a job doing caricatures at an amusement park.

I've had friends do it at Cedar Point & Darien Lake, and I've done caricatures myself enough times to tell you.. just make all the women pretty. Make the men handsome. ESPECIALLY the ones who say "really let me have it" "Make sure you get my *insert unattractive/large/noticeable feature here*". Because warning- those are the ones who will pitch a fit, call you names, not tip. Plus I just personally find that style really ugly. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

Trust me Doohickie (I assume I don't have to tell you this), if your wife likes the house, especially the kitchen, you're moving.

Congrats!!

+++++

And people laugh at me when I say doctors and big Pharma are in cahoots.  Antibiotics for viruses.  No wonder none of the antibiotics work anymore.

Yeah. Hopefully they were correct on the virus part, because not only is it bad to take antibiotics for non-bacteria things, but they give me terrible UTIs and stomach aches and screw up my IBS stuff too. Sooooo it's an easy choice based on what I know 

Is it all antibiotics?  In my case, Biaxin messes me up like what you say, but that's the only one.  I actually list biaxin as an allergy on medical forms (I think it's technically more of a sensitivity, but I don't want it near me in either case).

Is it all antibiotics?  In my case, Biaxin messes me up like what you say, but that's the only one.  I actually list biaxin as an allergy on medical forms (I think it's technically more of a sensitivity, but I don't want it near me in either case).

All the ones I've taken, I don't remember their names. Strep throat, wisdom teeth removal, when I destroyed my pinky finger this summer, etc. It's just always miserable. 

They are. But medical personnel so oftentimes have people that come into the office EXPECT to get a prescription that they tend to over prescribe. It's just easier that way. (Or so it's been told. ;))

This is how I picture it, there were a lot of grumpy people there today that weren't leaving without a prescription to SOMETHING.

Trust me Doohickie (I assume I don't have to tell you this), if your wife likes the house, especially the kitchen, you're moving.

Congrats!!

Yeah, that's the way it works in my family too.

I'm pretty sure it's happening; I just need to make my miserly self come to grips with the fact that I'm not getting a quantitatively good deal.  I think we're paying what the market will look like in two or three years (Ft Worth real estate is exploding right now).  The seller is reluctant to go lower because they put too much $ into the house (I think to fix the drainage, and possibly the old siding was asbestos and had to be remediated).  They were about to take it off the market when we started sniffing around.

By the way, they sent us a copy of the inspection report from when they bought the house.  Oof.  ugly.  It was either a rental or was lived in by squatters; in either case they pretty much trashed the place.  Holes in the walls and everything.

Congrats!!

+++++

And people laugh at me when I say doctors and big Pharma are in cahoots.  Antibiotics for viruses.  No wonder none of the antibiotics work anymore.

I was on like 500mg of tetracycline (maybe twice a day!) for several years for early rosacea. I got off those. Now it's known that rosacea is not caused by an infection but by inflammation. Dermatologists have wised up and now prescribe a dose of antibiotics so low that they don't have an antibiotic effect -- just an anti-inflammatory effect. It gets tricky though. I'm on 50 mg doxycycline for dry eyes (it treats the eyelid inflammation and improves the oil quality in the tear film), but I think 50 mg is actually an antibiotic dose as well. And one that's so low it probably contributes to bacterial resistance more than a large dose.

I was on like 500mg of tetracycline (maybe twice a day!) for several years for early rosacea. I got off those. Now it's known that rosacea is not caused by an infection but by inflammation. Dermatologists have wised up and now prescribe a dose of antibiotics so low that they don't have an antibiotic effect -- just an anti-inflammatory effect. It gets tricky though. I'm on 50 mg doxycycline for dry eyes (it treats the eyelid inflammation and improves the oil quality in the tear film), but I think 50 mg is actually an antibiotic dose as well. And one that's so low it probably contributes to bacterial resistance more than a large dose.

I was on doxy for acne for about 2 years. During that time my GI issues were just getting worse and more dramatic. Moved to Buffalo, was probably having one of the worst GI flare ups of my life, saw a new dermatologist. They took one look at my prescription and freaked out. Quit the doxy, have a topical gel thing now (however- THAT'S a whole story about big Pharma being greedy fu*ks-docs definitely want me to use it more than I do because they get fancy $$$ kickbacks from the overpriced gel... pharmacist at Target is a no-nonsense woman who had a good gripe about it with me since insurance won't cover most of it)- skin's the clearest it's ever been in my entire life, GI problems are much more manageable. 

So listen to your body on that one. Might not affect you much. Not sure how much I was taking- they were huge pills though- twice a day (though I only took once a day so I could get through the day without an "event").

Since I quit doxy, I've even been able to add a half cup of my beloved coffee back into my diet on occasion! 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

Looks like the new withholding rates are now in use at my company. Those "middle class tax cuts" are going to bump my paycheck up by $29 every 2 weeks. So much winning.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take it, but something tells me my tax refund next year will just get smaller by close to the same $750 amount that my withholds are dropping by. We'll see.

Looks like the new withholding rates are now in use at my company. Those "middle class tax cuts" are going to bump my paycheck up by $29 every 2 weeks. So much winning.

Yeah, I picked up 34 bucks a week. But I will lose a grand off my tax refund next February, sooooo...yay. I'll make 700 beans in the long run. And it will go down each year.

I was just fiddling around with tax stuff and have about 4k in potential write offs. If they take it. I barely understand this stuff. We've been overpaying taxes this year- weren't sure what was right, hopefully get a bigger refund- better than getting fees. Luckily, d4rk's mom is a CPA and can figure out my crap. Ah, the costs of starting a business...

All I can say is that refund better be nice this year, the job I'm still waiting on better happen, or I'm going underwater. Good thing bleach is tasty. 

I was just fiddling around with tax stuff and have about 4k in potential write offs. If they take it. I barely understand this stuff. We've been overpaying taxes this year- weren't sure what was right, hopefully get a bigger refund- better than getting fees. Luckily, d4rk's mom is a CPA and can figure out my crap. Ah, the costs of starting a business...

All I can say is that refund better be nice this year, the job I'm still waiting on better happen, or I'm going underwater. Good thing bleach is tasty. 

FWIW, overpaying is almost never the right solution; you're giving the government an interest-free loan. Consciously underpaying I think is illegal though, so you're generally best off thinking through your deductions and making your best guess. I've never had to pay a significant amount into taxes on my return, but coming up with a bunch of cash would be scary. Of course, I'm no CPA.

I've never even seen a Costco. I swear. Sam's Club and BJ's are the ones I'm familiar with not shopping at.

They're the all the same, although Costco seems to be a little better about Organic and/or healthy items in terms of food.

FWIW, overpaying is almost never the right solution; you're giving the government an interest-free loan. Consciously underpaying I think is illegal though, so you're generally best off thinking through your deductions and making your best guess. I've never had to pay a significant amount into taxes on my return, but coming up with a bunch of cash would be scary. Of course, I'm no CPA.

They're the all the same, although Costco seems to be a little better about Organic and/or healthy items in terms of food.

We over-payed last year because we just had no idea how much her business was going to make and wanted to make sure she didn't end up owing too much in the spring. This year we'll have a better idea so we can probably adjust her payments a little. 

Well, and Sam's Club is owned by the Great Satan (Wal-Mart).

Great Satan or not, their groceries are cheaper than most. 1 stop at Aldi's and 1 at Walmart saves about a billion dollars over shopping at Wegmans for the same sh!t.

Some of my clients ask me 'so, how much should extra should I have them deduct from my pay?  I want a big refund' ... I always say ZERO!!  And I am a CPA.

How do you underpay?  In Canada if you are an employee you have your employer calculate how much to deduct.  Now, there is a form that all employees fill out and sign which outlines how many credits you qualify for ... kids, school fees etc.  If you do not fill it out accurately you are committing tax fraud.  I always tell my clients to only claim the basic deduction to be safe.

Great Satan or not, their groceries are cheaper than most. 1 stop at Aldi's and 1 at Walmart saves about a billion dollars over shopping at Wegmans for the same sh!t.

Preach it brother. As Aud would say, wegmans is great for bread and circuses but I can get a cart of groceries for $80 at Aldi vs $250 at wegs.

We over-payed last year because we just had no idea how much her business was going to make and wanted to make sure she didn't end up owing too much in the spring. This year we'll have a better idea so we can probably adjust her payments a little. 

I think the rule is $1,000. If you owe less than that and can pay by April 15th, you're good. If you owe more than $1000 you're generally required to make quarterly estimated payments the following year. At least that's how it worked the last time I was self employed.

Edited by Alkoholist