Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

I think there are lots of personality types that can be good coaches.  Some of the best are pretty quiet.  I think y'all are reading too much into DD's demeanor.  Yes he certainly has his flaws, but being quiet doesn't preclude him from being a good coach.

Thus ends our Diversity and Inclusion Minute for today.

Not at all, but finding the right voice to lead a group is essential.

I think there are lots of personality types that can be good coaches.  Some of the best are pretty quiet.  I think y'all are reading too much into DD's demeanor.  Yes he certainly has his flaws, but being quiet doesn't preclude him from being a good coach.

Thus ends our Diversity and Inclusion Minute for today.

I don't need my coach to yell at the media and his players. Quiet is fine with me as long as it's quiet confidence. What I do need is my coach to stop making statements basically saying he's scared.

I need to see or hear this speech.  Anyone got a link?

Was closed door. No coaches involved, just players and GMTM. 

I don't need my coach to yell at the media and his players. Quiet is fine with me as long as it's quiet confidence. What I do need is my coach to stop making statements basically saying he's scared.

Was closed door. No coaches involved, just players and GMTM. 

It's abundantly clear that Murray is blaming the players, which I tend to agree with.

I think he said "I know you are better than this; you know you are better than this. Play that way."

It was a combination affirmation of their ability to succeed, coupled with a kick in the ice that they are the only ones who can make that happen.

OK Dan, two things should be clear: what we've been doing is not working, and the only help you are getting now is from inside the organization.

Can we please try something new for the last 20 games and see what happens?

1) Jack Eichel is the franchise: he's our most talented player and lately he's been our best. Can we please play him as a first line centre? By that I mean the forward that gets the most ice time? Play him against the top guys; if Toews schools him, consider it a learning experience and throw him back out there. Stoke those competitive fires. Put the game on his shoulders. He wants it. Let him try some PK work. Give him some extra shifts with the guys on the fourth line. Send him out for as many offensive zone faceoffs as he can handle. Design your game plan around him, not ROR. It's his team. Give it to him.

2) Give ROR a break. The man has no sense of self-preservation; he can't say no. And his coach for the second year in a row has run him into the ground. He's not the player he was earlier in the year. Give a minute of his ice time to Jack, a minute to Sam and a minute to Zemgus. Still give him the key defensive zone faceoffs, but move him to left wing. With Jack. Our most talented player. And our most complete player. Together. I can't see any reason why their skills wouldn't mesh. It's not rocket science. Give it a shot.

3) Evan Rodrigues is a smart hockey player. He is a fast hockey player. He has been our most effective call-up this year. Give him a shot with Jack and Ryan. He can read them and can take advantage of what they create. He's one of the few guys we know has shown chemistry with Jack. Unheralded guys like Chris Kunitz and Matt Moulson have carved successful NHL careers out of being able to take advantage of an opportunity. Give him an opportunity.

4) For god's sake put Sam Reinhart at centre and leave him there. Stop making him a sidekick and let him be a focal point, like he has been his entire life before he met you Dan. Let him be the player we drafted. The guy knows the game. Let it flow through him. Give him some burly wingers with finish. Guys who can get open and who can work in traffic, guys with the hands to take advantage of his sweet passes. You know, guys like Kyle Okposo and Evander Kane. See what kind of chemistry they could generate.

5) Stick with the checking line. It works. Larsson, Gionta and Foligno were good. Girgensons, Gionta and Foligno were better. Zemgus can be a good hockey player and since Larry has gone down he has been a good hockey player. He's fast, competitive. He can grind the b*tches down. That whole line can. He's been very poorly developed by this organization, but he has the right stuff to shake it off if he's put in a position to succeed. This is a position where he can succeed. Show him some trust and stability for a little while.

6) Forget about perception or pedigree and play the defencemen that deserve it. Risto and McCabe have been the best combo. Keep them together on the first pair. Fedun and Falk have been OK as a third pair. Use them in that role. Franson has been pretty steady really, our third best defenceman this year. Bogo has played his best hockey with Cody. Make them the default number two pair. Tell Bogo to forget everything he's been taught since you arrived and just play on instinct. He will continue to mess up, but he also may make some positive plays. Kulikov and Gorges can sit until someone falters. ###### how talented they are supposed to be or how competitive they are. They just haven't been good enough. Let Dimitri get healthy and Josh retire.

7) When Tim signs Sean Malone out of college, try him at the fourth line centre spot. When he signs Borgen, see what he can do. Rotate Fasching and Baptiste in for looks along with Bailey and Carrier on the fourth line. Moulson, Ennis and DLo have no future here. Let's see who does.

Please Dan, reward the players who play well. Sit the players who don't.

Show them some trust. Stoke their fires. Let them learn from their mistakes, instead of your whiteboard.

Instead of focusing all of your attention on what should work, pay more attention to what does work.

Shake up the status quo. Pass the torch. See what we've been missing.

What do you have to lose?

Excellent post.

If we can all see that this needs to happen, why can't the ####ing coach?

None of this is going to happen.

:censored:

If veteran guys like Gorges, Bogosian, Kulikov, Ennis, et al are doing worse than they ever did before, on a Bylsma coached team, then how do we not conclude the coaching itself must be a major factor in their sagging stats?

OK Dan, two things should be clear: what we've been doing is not working, and the only help you are getting now is from inside the organization.

Can we please try something new for the last 20 games and see what happens?

1) Jack Eichel is the franchise: he's our most talented player and lately he's been our best. Can we please play him as a first line centre? By that I mean the forward that gets the most ice time? Play him against the top guys; if Toews schools him, consider it a learning experience and throw him back out there. Stoke those competitive fires. Put the game on his shoulders. He wants it. Let him try some PK work. Give him some extra shifts with the guys on the fourth line. Send him out for as many offensive zone faceoffs as he can handle. Design your game plan around him, not ROR. It's his team. Give it to him.

2) Give ROR a break. The man has no sense of self-preservation; he can't say no. And his coach for the second year in a row has run him into the ground. He's not the player he was earlier in the year. Give a minute of his ice time to Jack, a minute to Sam and a minute to Zemgus. Still give him the key defensive zone faceoffs, but move him to left wing. With Jack. Our most talented player. And our most complete player. Together. I can't see any reason why their skills wouldn't mesh. It's not rocket science. Give it a shot.

3) Evan Rodrigues is a smart hockey player. He is a fast hockey player. He has been our most effective call-up this year. Give him a shot with Jack and Ryan. He can read them and can take advantage of what they create. He's one of the few guys we know has shown chemistry with Jack. Unheralded guys like Chris Kunitz and Matt Moulson have carved successful NHL careers out of being able to take advantage of an opportunity. Give him an opportunity.

4) For god's sake put Sam Reinhart at centre and leave him there. Stop making him a sidekick and let him be a focal point, like he has been his entire life before he met you Dan. Let him be the player we drafted. The guy knows the game. Let it flow through him. Give him some burly wingers with finish. Guys who can get open and who can work in traffic, guys with the hands to take advantage of his sweet passes. You know, guys like Kyle Okposo and Evander Kane. See what kind of chemistry they could generate.

5) Stick with the checking line. It works. Larsson, Gionta and Foligno were good. Girgensons, Gionta and Foligno were better. Zemgus can be a good hockey player and since Larry has gone down he has been a good hockey player. He's fast, competitive. He can grind the b*tches down. That whole line can. He's been very poorly developed by this organization, but he has the right stuff to shake it off if he's put in a position to succeed. This is a position where he can succeed. Show him some trust and stability for a little while.

6) Forget about perception or pedigree and play the defencemen that deserve it. Risto and McCabe have been the best combo. Keep them together on the first pair. Fedun and Falk have been OK as a third pair. Use them in that role. Franson has been pretty steady really, our third best defenceman this year. Bogo has played his best hockey with Cody. Make them the default number two pair. Tell Bogo to forget everything he's been taught since you arrived and just play on instinct. He will continue to mess up, but he also may make some positive plays. Kulikov and Gorges can sit until someone falters. ###### how talented they are supposed to be or how competitive they are. They just haven't been good enough. Let Dimitri get healthy and Josh retire.

7) When Tim signs Sean Malone out of college, try him at the fourth line centre spot. When he signs Borgen, see what he can do. Rotate Fasching and Baptiste in for looks along with Bailey and Carrier on the fourth line. Moulson, Ennis and DLo have no future here. Let's see who does.

Please Dan, reward the players who play well. Sit the players who don't.

Show them some trust. Stoke their fires. Let them learn from their mistakes, instead of your whiteboard.

Instead of focusing all of your attention on what should work, pay more attention to what does work.

Shake up the status quo. Pass the torch. See what we've been missing.

What do you have to lose?

1 and 2 are excellent points.

4, Joe Yerdon recently tweeted that Reinhart is done at C and will be a winger for his career.  I disagree.  I agree with you.  Give him some time at C.  This season (and hopefully Bylsma's tenure) is over anyway.

7, Bailey is not a fourth line player.  Either use him on the first two lines or (it hurts me to say this) trade him.

Edited by Eleven

1 and 2 are excellent points.

4, Joe Yerdon recently tweeted that Reinhart is done at C and will be a winger for his career.  I disagree.  I agree with you.  Give him some time at C.  This season (and hopefully Bylsma's tenure) is over anyway.

7, Bailey is not a fourth line player.  Either use him on the first two lines or (it hurts me to say this) trade him.

4.  I know it is not popular around here, but I don't think he's a full time center either.  I keep comparing him to Patrick Sharp, and I think that's about right.  A winger who is as much a playmaker as a scorer who can fill in at center situationally.  And until we have enough top 6 wingers there aren't going to be many situations where it makes sense to have him center the 3rd line.  Too valuable in a top 6 wing role.  Which leads us too....

7.  Not sure which thread it was, but the post that ranked our prospect pool disagrees with your assessment of Baliey IMO.  The league scouting consensus seems to be he isn't a top 5 prospect for us.  Where was he?  7, 8? something like that?  Given 2 years of pro development, that tells me his long term future is not in the top 6.  OK, he's better than a 4th line role, but I think 3rd is about where he belongs when fully developed.

4.  I know it is not popular around here, but I don't think he's a full time center either.  I keep comparing him to Patrick Sharp, and I think that's about right.  A winger who is as much a playmaker as a scorer who can fill in at center situationally.  And until we have enough top 6 wingers there aren't going to be many situations where it makes sense to have him center the 3rd line.  Too valuable in a top 6 wing role.  Which leads us too....

7.  Not sure which thread it was, but the post that ranked our prospect pool disagrees with your assessment of Baliey IMO.  The league scouting consensus seems to be he isn't a top 5 prospect for us.  Where was he?  7, 8? something like that?  Given 2 years of pro development, that tells me his long term future is not in the top 6.  OK, he's better than a 4th line role, but I think 3rd is about where he belongs when fully developed.

7--except he does not prefer a rough playing style.  If the Sabres' third line turns into what it was in 2006-07, great, third line it is.  If it is a traditional checking line, not the right role for him.  

7--except he does not prefer a rough playing style.  If the Sabres' third line turns into what it was in 2006-07, great, third line it is.  If it is a traditional checking line, not the right role for him.  

I don't think most 3rd lines play a rough style anymore? 

I don't think most 3rd lines play a rough style anymore?

Nope. The fourth lines really don't, either. The days of depth players being physical guys devoid of skill are over. In my view Bailey is an NHL player, and even if he never develops the sense/hands to be in a scoring role, he's got a spot on my team.

I think Bailey is an NHL player, likely middle six when he's done growing.

I wasn't consigning him the fourth because I'm done with him.

It was more about giving ERod a shot with Jack.

Justin has had his stint in the top six. He looked promising, but didn't do enough.

He will keep improving and will get another shot.

Edited by dudacek

We just blew a 3 goal lead last night.  How is this not bumped?!?!  Get him outta here!

Yup.  How many of those multi goal leads have the Sabres blown this year?   Not to mention getting swept by the Devils and the Bruins - with the Bruins the multi streak is now multi-year, and began when Bylsma was coach;  and that with an improved roster, and a big name big dollar franchise coach at the helm - the latter at least if you believe the hype from Murray and the front office.    

How about Chad Ruhwedel?

Is he not a poster child of a average/decent player getting a chance with a good coach and having a good go of it after being Dan'd?

He's played 19 games.

There are plenty of other reasons to go after Abylsma.

Yup.  How many of those multi goal leads have the Sabres blown this year?   Not to mention getting swept by the Devils and the Bruins - with the Bruins the multi streak is now multi-year, and began when Bylsma was coach;  and that with an improved roster, and a big name big dollar franchise coach at the helm - the latter at least if you believe the hype from Murray and the front office.    

The second last Bruins game *was* one of those multigoal collapses.  The Sabres played a great first period, leading 2-0 at the intermission.  Losing those last two Bruin games was when I knew the Sabres were not making the playoffs this year.  There was excuse to lose a game they had dominated through one period.  Even when they lost that first one, they should have won the other one a couple days later.

The second last Bruins game *was* one of those multigoal collapses.  The Sabres played a great first period, leading 2-0 at the intermission.  Losing those last two Bruin games was when I knew the Sabres were not making the playoffs this year.  There was excuse to lose a game they had dominated through one period.  Even when they lost that first one, they should have won the other one a couple days later.

Wasn't too long ago that this team had terrible 1st periods, finally showing up in the 3rd and winning some games in dramatic fashion.    For most of the season they sleepwalked the first 20 minutes.    

Now they have the opposite problem.  They don't know how to play with a lead.... probably because they haven't been in that position very often.

IMO it's something that will come with experience, and it shows with their reactions after the game... Jack says they keeping sitting back too much, others blame a bad bounce sends them into a tailspin, etc... they're searching for answers which is part of the learning process for a young team.    They've learned how to get leads early the game, now they need to learn how to close out games... which might take some time, but what some see as dysfunction I see as a natural progression.

what some see as dysfunction I see as a natural progression.

I hope so.  Part of the problem is that we want to identify the pattern to figure out where it's all going.  So people look at these losses and say it points to a bad bounce, an inept coach, a soft core, a learning curve.

My biggest worry with all this is that Jack and the other youngsters are getting disillusioned with the team.  If they don't see enough progress, they may be tempted to bolt at RFA (which is a year off for Jack and Samson).  This next year is truly pivotal for this franchise because if, in a year from now, we are not in a playoff spot, those guys may want to bolt out of here.  (Or if they get good offers from other teams, GMTM may be crippled if the Sabres have to match those salaries, leaving not enough money to build a team around them.)

The fix for that, of course, is to make those key guys happy.  Part of that is money, but part of it is building a strong contender.  Lots of players will accept less money to be on a winning team.  But if this is a losing team next year, they will demand top dollar to stay.  It's best if they don't even test the market.

Edited by Doohickie

I hope so.  Part of the problem is that we want to identify the pattern to figure out where it's all going.  So people look at these losses and say it points to a bad bounce, an inept coach, a soft core, a learning curve.

My biggest worry with all this is that Jack and the other youngsters are getting disillusioned with the team.  If they don't see enough progress, they may be tempted to bolt at RFA (which is a year off for Jack and Samson).  This next year is truly pivotal for this franchise because if, in a year from now, we are not in a playoff spot, those guys may want to bolt out of here.  (Or if they get good offers from other teams, GMTM may be crippled if the Sabres have to match those salaries, leaving not enough money to build a team around them.)

I don't believe that's the case.   IMO the youngsters are those who need to learn how to play with a lead.   Eichel seems to think they need to have their foot on the gas the entire game.   That's not the answer.    You have half the team backing off, and the other half with their foot on the gas, and it shows.... you need the entire team buying in to the style of play for it to be successful.    It's not "keep pushing and pushing and pushing"... it's situational hockey, and frankly I'm a bit surprised they're still figuring this out... that's where guys like Gionta and Gorges should be tutoring these guys... they're not doing a very good job IMO.

I don't believe that's the case.  

If they don't believe the team is competitive, they will get disillusioned.  I'm not saying they are yet, but if the progress isn't there right at the beginning of next season, the frustration will begin.