One goal again...enough is enough

matter2003

Murray either needs to tell Bylsma to stop stifling our offense playing a defensive system which seems to allow other teams to generate zone pressure at will while we chase them around our end and then dump and chase into their zone when we get the puck or replace him with someone who likes scoring goals.

12 goals in the last 10 games is a freaking joke...we have some pretty damn talented players at forward who are being made to play a way that just doesn't allow them any offensive creativity to make plays. They are not robots...

Even without Eichel and Ennis we have way more than 1.2 goals per game talent. And it's not like this team is the New Jersey Devils of 20 years ago winning games 2-1 and 1-0 all day...they aren't winning playing this way so why the hell are they still playing this way?

Our strengths are our forwards, not our defenseman. Bylsma seems like he has his head up his ass trying to fit players to his system instead of fitting his system to the players.

I'm tired of watching snoozefests for the past year and a half under him, either let the players attack offensively or get the hell out of here and let someone who understands that you can actually win by outscoring the other team instead of praying the other team doesn't score 2 goals because then you're done...

Enough is enough...I can't watch this crap anymore.

We have six fewer even strength goals than the 29th place team. We'd need 3o% more even strength goals than what we have through 20 games just to get out of the basement. Let that sink in. 

Here are a few lineups and their even strength scoring for reference.

Skinner-Staal-Aho

Teravainen-Rask-Lindholm

Stalberg-Derek Ryan-Stempniak

Nordstrom-McClement-Brock McGinn

Hainsey-Faulk

Slavin-Pesce

Hanifin-Tennyson

This is the Hurricanes. They have 45% more even strength goals than we do, 32 versus 22, and they've played two fewer games. This lineup. 

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Burrows

Granlund-Chaput-Joacim Eriksson

Skille-Gaunce-Megna

Edler-Stetcher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Tryamkin

These are the Canucks. They have 41% more even strength goals than we do, with this lineup. 31-22. They've played one fewer game than us. I'll note that the Sedins look pretty miserable at this point.

Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata

McGinn-Dvorak-Duclair

Rieder-Martinook-Doan

Crouse-Dauphin-White

OEL-Murphy

Goligoski-DeAngelo

Connauton-Stone

These are the Coyotes. It's worth noting that Domi and Duclair have combined for three total goals. They have 50% more goals at even strength than we do, and have played three fewer games.

Saad-Wennberg-Foligno

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson

Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson

Hartnell-Sedlak-Gagner

Werenski-Jones

Murray-Johnson

Nutivaara-Savard

These are the Blue Jackets, coached by John Tortorella. High-PDO-low-CF% alert, but these guys have 86% more even strength goals than we do, with this lineup, 41 to 22. They've played two fewer games than us.

Cammalleri-Zajac-Parenteau

Boucher-Henrique-SmithPelly

Zacha-Josefson-Bennett

Kalinin-Fiddler-Lappin

Green-Severson

Moore-Lovejoy

Auvitu-Quincey

These are the Devils, without Hall who is hurt. They also have 32 ES goals, 45% more than us, in one fewer game. Hall had two of them, so this lineup is responsible for 30, still 8 more than us, in one fewer game.

Abdelkaeder-Zetterberg-Mantha

Tatar-Nielsen-Glendening

Nyqvist-Larkin-Vanek

Sheahan-Ott-Bertuzzi

DeKeyser-Green

Kronwall-Smith

Ericsson-Sproul

These are the Red Wings we saw tonight, that I think we outplayed overall. They have 45% more even strength goals than we do, also 32-22. Their coach plays conservatively for OT as well. They just lost four straight, hardly scoring any goals.

Ladies and gentlemen, these teams have had injuries that have damaged these lineups as well. Injuries are not an excuse for how pitiful our even strength production is.  

Oh, and if you're wondering who the league leader is:

Kreider-Hayes-Zuccarello

Grabner-Stepan-Nash

Vesey-Pirri-Miller

Lindberg-Jooris-Fast

with Zibanejad on IR

McDonagh-Girardi

Staal-Holden

Skjei-Klein

The rangers have SIXTY FIVE even strength goals, almost three times as many as we do. This lineup. You're telling me that there's that much more skill in what I just listed than on this team, even with injuries? 

Systems are huge, and ours waits for power plays and loser points. 

:lol: I'm glad we're on good terms again True.

I'd also like to note that those were bottom tier teams, with those numbers, aside from CBJ. So we're performing significantly worse than other bottom-10 teams, much less teams that you'd consider average, much much less teams you'd consider good. I didn't include them because it's not fair to compare this roster to that of the Sharks or Penguins or Capitals, but I do think we should have our sights set above ~10 teams, including those I just listed, even with the injuries we've gone through, and if not then they should certainly be higher than far-and-away-last-place.

We've won 7 of 20 games. That's hovering near .333 still. The conservative, safe style might have had an argument if it was helping us succeed in these games, but nothing in the standings suggests that it is.

:lol: I'm glad we're on good terms again True.

I'd also like to note that those were bottom tier teams, with those numbers, aside from CBJ. So we're performing significantly worse than other bottom-10 teams, much less teams that you'd consider average, much much less teams you'd consider good. I didn't include them because it's not fair to compare this roster to that of the Sharks or Penguins or Capitals, but I do think we should have our sights set above ~10 teams, including those I just listed, even with the injuries we've gone through, and if not then they should certainly be higher than far-and-away-last-place.

We've won 7 of 20 games. That's hovering near .333 still. The conservative, safe style might have had an argument if it was helping us succeed in these games, but nothing in the standings suggests that it is.

What about our 5 loser points?

Goober is putting everything in Eichel's hands, and he doesn't trust the rest of the team to do their thing in his absence. Just like he did in Pittsburgh. He let Malkin/Crosby turn him into a successful coach. I heard similar complaints from Pens fans in that Goober didn't trust anybody but his superstar players and that his system got in the way if they weren't on the ice. Hence the reason he eventually didn't pan out. Everything these Pens fans told me is playing out in BFLO. 

If a coach puts all his marbles in the baskets of the 1-2 best players on the team, he's not going to get very far and neither is his team. I was originally a fan, but I've lost what little patience I had left. Just listening to him in the post game pressers, he sounds lost. Watching him behind the bench, he looks lost. 

It's a lot deeper than ours, that's for sure. But I'll put our top end against theirs even with Eichel out.

I think that's debatable,… and irrelevant. To say that we aren't scoring because of DDB's system and using the Ranger's roster as an example seems like folly to me.

Is this the fire Disco thread now.  If so, then I am in the right place.

The only thing good I can say about Disco Dan is that scar on his mug is real cute and he likes The Clash ... not necessarily in that order.

And Randall, man you need a date with a hottie.  Excellent post, but you have got way to much time on your hands.  It took me 10 minutes to read it.  It must have taken you 10 hours to research and type that.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.