One goal again...enough is enough

matter2003

I'd be happier than I am with the team being dull and losing, but I wouldn't be satisfied. If the choice were binary between good and boring vs. bad and fun, I take good and boring. But I neither think it has to be that way in the abstract, nor with the roster currently assembled.

Yup. That would be ideal and the scenario I'm hoping for. I definitely think we have the offense to be a high scoring, fun team. Thought our skill at forward was our biggest strength coming into the season and nothing has since changed.

A big part of acquiring these skilled young players is the excitement and entertainment value they bring to the table, and I'd hate to see them be forced to adapt to a neutering system.

Is there any chance we can hope Bylsma will let us open things up a bit more now that Jack is back?

Not if the goalie whisperer were still here...

:lol: Edited by Thorny

Skinny, fragile, subpar hockey IQ, below average shot velocity, poor face-off skills, average puck handling skills.....

Look, I like him as a prospect, he was a good pick in the 3rd round as he's an above average skater with excellent speed and agility.  Statistically he's reaping the benefits of getting plenty of ice time on a top junior team.

If he can round out his game he has as good a chance as any other 3rd rounder, but there's a lot of areas he needs to improve on before we should even consider putting him in a Sabres sweater.

. I might be piling on at this point but here is the June scouting report from the Draft Analyst. Again a complete 180 from your post.

60. C Cliff Pu (London Knights, OHL): If you’ve been following our rankings, you might be saying “Cliff Who” when noticing his meteoric rise from the near-bottom to the near-top. Take our word for it when he say he’s deserved every bit of the recent hype, delivering clutch play and two-way dominance for a London team almost anyone would have to scratch and claw their way to earn ice time. Why is he special? Pu’s big (6’2), fast and can fire off a very good shot. But the biggest eye opener was how he was able to produce in limited time and received next to nothing in offensive zone starts and/or on the power play. When London’s big names (Tkachuk, Dvorak, Marner etc.) were at the WJC, it was Pu and Max Jones who ran the offense.

. I might be piling on at this point but here is the June scouting report from the Draft Analyst. Again a complete 180 from your post.

60. C Cliff Pu (London Knights, OHL): If you’ve been following our rankings, you might be saying “Cliff Who” when noticing his meteoric rise from the near-bottom to the near-top. Take our word for it when he say he’s deserved every bit of the recent hype, delivering clutch play and two-way dominance for a London team almost anyone would have to scratch and claw their way to earn ice time. Why is he special? Pu’s big (6’2), fast and can fire off a very good shot. But the biggest eye opener was how he was able to produce in limited time and received next to nothing in offensive zone starts and/or on the power play. When London’s big names (Tkachuk, Dvorak, Marner etc.) were at the WJC, it was Pu and Max Jones who ran the offense.

He doesnt have any particular skill that jumps out at you, other than maybe his skating which he uses very effectively to create the majority of his chances which come in tight so he doesn't need to rely on his average shooting ability.

I'm not saying he has no chance, but I'll be mildly surprised if he pans out into a quality player at the NHL level, which I hope he does and it's nice see him showing up regularly on the high flying London Kinghts scoresheet.

He doesnt have any particular skill that jumps out at you, other than maybe his skating which he uses very effectively to create the majority of his chances which come in tight so he doesn't need to rely on his average shooting ability.

I'm not saying he has no chance, but I'll be mildly surprised if he pans out into a quality player at the NHL level, which I hope he does and it's nice see him showing up regularly on the high flying London Kinghts scoresheet.

Still have no idea where you are getting your information. Seems like all the scouting reports I've read have indicated that his shot is a strength. 

What if the players on this team just don't have the talent to be scorers?  Scoring has been a problem throughout the organization in previous years.  Schneider and C. O'Reilly are in the top 25 in the AHL but it doesn't appear that it translates to the NHL for them.  Is the team made up of defensive players that can't score more than 15-20 goals even with PP time?  As an organization do they have the players that can score 25-30 goals?  Outside of Eichel I'm not sure they do.

Bylsma says he's ready to take the reins off of the team now that Jack's back. He was coaching conservatively on purpose. We'll never know if this was the best route to go because we have nothing to compare it to. 

With Eichel heading back to the team, we are 7-9-5, have won 33 percent of our games. We are six points out of a playoff spot, and have 38 goals in 21 games (I took the one out that was a shootout win goal - thanks JJ)

Ottawa, a team we are chasing and would like to be in front of come the end of the season, already has double our wins. 

It's going to be tough to get back into this thing, and I don't think it'll be a seamless transition to having Jack back. We'll see how it goes, but I have a feeling that only winning 7 of 21 while he was out is going to be the nail in the coffin on the season, and we all know that I believe it didn't have to be that way.

And Ennis and Kane and MOulson and o'Reilly and Okposo.

Scoff all you want. Theyve all scored 20 more than once and MOulson is the only one past his best before date.

This team has players who can score.

They just aren't.

But we now know why. Bylsma said he was deliberately holding back because Jack was out. Our coach is crap. 

Just in case anyone was wondering. Pittsburgh won their game 5-0 and the Caps got scored on two more times in the third and lost 3-0 in a shutout.

Just sayin'.

Also, Boudreau's speech was between periods, NOT pregame.

I wish we had a bigger set of pregame speeches to draw upon for comparison purposes - I would love to hear a typical Quenneville pre-game,  typical Babcock,  typical Julien, typical Sutter, etc   Perhaps every coach's pregame is that dry and by the numbers?   It's only during periods they turn up the heat if their team is under performing?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.