Why Can't This Team Score?

GASabresIUFAN

It's easy to blame the coach. His system sucks, he has lost the players, he doesn't stick with his line combo long enough. Some of this might be true, but a coach can't win without good players to coach.

The Sabres have no puck moving D. None. Risto is the closest, but he is not a 5 on 5 QB; love him on the PP, but still makes bad decisions with the puck coming out of the zone. I think McCabe has the most potential in this area, but he can't play that way do to his linemates defensive limitations. Franson has the skill, but can't be trusted on D to give him the PT. Same with Nelson. Kulikov and Bogo have zero points, so they haven't stepped up either.

The forwards also failing. Okposo and ROR have 2 pts each in November, the same as Reinhart. These are the top 3 forwards on the roster. They need to step up.

While the coaches may be part of the problem, but roster is poorly constructed and the best players aren't doing the job.

It's easy to blame the coach. His system sucks, he has lost the players, he doesn't stick with his line combo long enough. Some of this might be true, but a coach can't win without good players to coach.

The Sabres have no puck moving D. None. Risto is the closest, but he is not a 5 on 5 QB; love him on the PP, but still makes bad decisions with the puck coming out of the zone. I think McCabe has the most potential in this area, but he can't play that way do to his linemates defensive limitations. Franson has the skill, but can't be trusted on D to give him the PT. Same with Nelson. Kulikov and Bogo have zero points, so they haven't stepped up either.

The forwards also failing. Okposo and ROR have 2 pts each in November, the same as Reinhart. These are the top 3 forwards on the roster. They need to step up.

While the coaches may be part of the problem, but roster is poorly constructed and the best players aren't doing the job.

I agree with this.   The lack of production from the back-end is alarming.     I like what I've seen from Risto over the last 5 games, he's getting better which is what we want to see.   Franson and Gorges are holding this group back in a big way.   I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team won't sniff the playoffs until Franson and Gorges are purged from the roster... replaced with better skaters who can keep up with the pace of the modern game.    

I agree with this. The lack of production from the back-end is alarming. I like what I've seen from Risto over the last 5 games, he's getting better which is what we want to see. Franson and Gorges are holding this group back in a big way. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team won't sniff the playoffs until Franson and Gorges are purged from the roster... replaced with better skaters who can keep up with the pace of the modern game.

Matt Moulson leads the team in goals. Why TF is the defense even being brought up at all?! Or the coach?! They freakin suited up I kid that was serving ice cream at the Edy's ice cream shop at the Ontario rest stop. At least he's got a point.

Show me a coach that could get this MASH unit to score. Until you do, all we can do is wait until our team heals.

Edited by SwampD

Yea your assessment of the defense is still garbage no matter how many threads you ramrod it into

Except all the stats support my assessment as do others, as shown below!

I agree with this.   The lack of production from the back-end is alarming.     I like what I've seen from Risto over the last 5 games, he's getting better which is what we want to see.   Franson and Gorges are holding this group back in a big way.   I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team won't sniff the playoffs until Franson and Gorges are purged from the roster... replaced with better skaters who can keep up with the pace of the modern game.

Except all the stats support my assessment as do others, as shown below!

There's more to defense stats than points. A lot more. So no, I don't accept your point proven at all, in fact I think your hatred of kulikov specifically is awful and unfounded.

There's more to defense stats than points. A lot more. So no, I don't accept your point proven at all, in fact I think your hatred of kulikov specifically is awful and unfounded.

This is thread is about why this team can't score. Having two key D, guys who were supposed to play in our top 4, who haven't added a pt is kind of a problem. However, since you have a problem researching the actual facts, i'll help you out.

The D with the third fewest goals scored for his team in NHL while he is on the ice and 100 minutes played are Kulikov and Bogosian with 3 each. Kulikov leads our D in worst +/- at -4. Kulikov has only 6 shots on goal for the season; only Gorges has less. Kulikov was not brought in to be a younger Gorges.

I don't know Kulikov to hate him. After watching him play and reviewing the stats, I don't think his acquisition has helped the Sabres, but if you feel better to get all emotional about my opinion feel free.

Lol oh yea everyone around here knows how much I hate researching... riiiight.

I looked at the numbers too. The entire team isn't scoring. Entire team. That isn't the defenses fault. It's a system wide issue.

I bet most the team has a mediocre +/- considering we have almost no + goals.

I fear what this place may become if we can't turn it around soon.... Like Halloween on groundhogs day.

Our D is okay, not terrible, but not great..... Our system is helping with the goals against for sure, but at some point we have to open it up, or at least try.... These are NHL players, I don't know if the talent isn't there or the lack of faith in the talent isn't there.

Looking at our shootout attempts and our shooting% its really hard to say

And, with that 5-4 Vancouver win, the Sabres are officially the lowest scoring team in the league, the only team below 2 GPG.

Colorado has less goals.

Matt Moulson leads the team in goals. Why TF is the defense even being brought up at all?! Or the coach?! They freakin suited up I kid that was serving ice cream at the Edy's ice cream shop at the Ontario rest stop. At least he's got a point.

Show me a coach that could get this MASH unit to score. Until you do, all we can do is wait until our team heals.

Yeap. I'm more concerned about the forwards.

Remember when we thought perhaps our only real barrier to being competitive was the loss of Eichel to injury?  I long for those innocent and carefree bygone days.   Without Eichel and O'Reilly, there really isn't much of a team.    

This team has averaged only ONE full strength goal per game in all 8 games played in November.  The only thing that's kept the Sabres from being at the bottom of the league has been excellent goal tending by Lehner (they're 25th currently in the overall standings)  

How often have we seen this over the recent years? Sabres offense sucks, and they depend mostly on their goalie to win games?   

Edited by Jsixspd

One Buffalo...one goal per game

Coincidence?

I think not.

How often have we seen this over the recent years? Sabres offense sucks, and they depend mostly on their goalie to win games?   

Hey, don't knock that system.  It took the Sabres to their last Stanley Cup Finals appearance.  :death:

I've watched some pretty bad teams in my life.... The bills drought, the tank years.

I actually still tuned in, but they are losing me this year, I sometimes only know there's a game because there's a GDT on here..... As many have said, if we're gonna just lose, let's do it in an exciting fashion

One Buffalo...one goal per game

hahaha

I've watched some pretty bad teams in my life.... The bills drought, the tank years.

I actually still tuned in, but they are losing me this year, I sometimes only know there's a game because there's a GDT on here..... As many have said, if we're gonna just lose, let's do it in an exciting fashion

It really challenges you as a fan of the team to continue to watch... it certainly feels like a chore at times.    This team is just so mentally weak and fragile, whether or not that's a lingering symptom of the tank years or lack of leadership,  I don't know.   

Gionta and Gorges are the only players on the roster who have decent playoff experience.    I'd expect those two to be more vocal during games, holding guys accountable, etc... but I don't see it, which is disappointing.     It's almost as if they've just given up on these guys with the realization this is likely their last season with the club.   

hahaha

It really challenges you as a fan of the team to continue to watch... it certainly feels like a chore at times. This team is just so mentally weak and fragile, whether or not that's a lingering symptom of the tank years or lack of leadership, I don't know.

Gionta and Gorges are the only players on the roster who have decent playoff experience. I'd expect those two to be more vocal during games, holding guys accountable, etc... but I don't see it, which is disappointing. It's almost as if they've just given up on these guys with the realization this is likely their last season with the club.

I'd say ROR is that guy, but behind those doors I couldn't even begin to speculate. The way this team is going now, I have to believe there is some frustration mounting and I'm curious if there is a rift anywhere, especially with Kane (just my own personal thoughts)

I'm also curious to see how DD is handling the team right now during a rather unexpected rough patch/season, not just from a system perspective, but motivationally as well.

Understand the feelings of if we lose let's at least be more entertaining about it. Isn't that somewhat a league problem as well? Am I the only one who sees hockey to be overall kind of, with a few exceptions, boring. I have to admit if we didn't have a local team I wouldn't watch hockey.jmo.

Understand the feelings of if we lose let's at least be more entertaining about it. Isn't that somewhat a league problem as well? Am I the only one who sees hockey to be overall kind of, with a few exceptions, boring. I have to admit if we didn't have a local team I wouldn't watch hockey.jmo.

There's a lot of good NHL hockey out there. I really need to make an effort to catch some non-sabres games. Haven't seen any this year so far.

Phil Housley is a great coach down here in Nashville. Coaches the defense corp and power play. He'd be my guy if we made a coaching change. But, I don't see that happening given we've lost the most games due to injury of any team in the league. Much of the offensive woes are likely attributable to not having our top two centers healthy.

That said, we need blue line scoring in the worst way. Every team in the league is going to faster, highly skilled defensemen. But, we have a collection of offensively-challenged blue liners with the exception of Risto and McCabe. Franson can shoot but he is too damned slow for today's game. IMHO, we're desperate for another offensively-skilled d-man.

Maybe the bottomline here is that we really aren't very talented. Sure the injuries haven't helped but maybe what looked good on paper really wasn't very good.

I've blamed the D. Other have mentioned DD or the lack of depth at forward. However maybe the blame ultimately lies with GMTM. He is guy who accelerated the rebuild through trade 3 major trades (ROR, Kane/Bogosian and Lehner).* He is the guys who didn't acquire a true puck moving D, either through trade or FA. He is the guy who didn't get proven depth on D during the off-season, despite knowing the injury history of Bogo, the slow skating of Gorges & Franson, and the lack of NHL ready prospects. He is also the guy who hired DD.

* in defense of GMTM's trades, ROR has been nothing short of excellent and I'm coming around on the Lehner deal because of the huge improvement in his game and attitude.

I feel like that more and more with all sports. I'm watching less of them on TV, and going to more movies with the family, doing stuff outside when its nice, just reading a book or articles on the computer instead.  It could just be a symptom of me getting older though..and not having much to look forward to in sports that I 'haven't seen already'

As far as the Sabres and hockey...it is kinda what you said.  I could deal with the team being .500  or below and watch and enjoy every game...if the Sabres and the LEAGUE had most games with 6 to 10 goals a game...think mid 1980's.   Other than that, I really don't care how 'technically sound' a game is....I do NOT care for a great played defensive battle...that gets me to tune out.  Maybe its also a short attention span...but if a sport gets to the point where you frequently go 15-30 minutes of 'real world' time without a goal....and that is expected...I'm just not as excited to sit down and watch it.

Give me crappy goals...every goal doesn't have to be a 'thing of beauty' (as long as some of them are.)  I'll take some garbage goals to go along with the good ones...I just want to see the lamp lit a LOT more often with this team...and the sport in general.

Edited by mjd1001

Coincidence?

I think not.

Hey, don't knock that system.  It took the Sabres to their last Stanley Cup Finals appearance.  :death:

FWIW one of my favorite stats in Sabres history is that the 99 finals team scored three goals a game on average in the first three rounds of the playoffs that year. It wasn't all "Hasek and 19 guys named Peca." Also, Rob Ray punches back pretty hard, in his book, at the idea that the success those teams had was all Dom

What's hurting so many fans this season is just how cruel the whole thing is. Reality is biting. Hard.

FWIW one of my favorite stats in Sabres history is that the 99 finals team scored three goals a game on average in the first three rounds of the playoffs that year. It wasn't all "Hasek and 19 guys named Peca." Also, Rob Ray punches back pretty hard, in his book, at the idea that the success those teams had was all Dom

What's hurting so many fans this season is just how cruel the whole thing is. Reality is biting. Hard.

The PP was clicking on all cylinders in the playoffs in '99 until they hit the Finals. :(

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.