Fighting in the NHL

inkman

I like it better this way. Watching Domi smack Kesler made me wince, not get pumped up. 

That said, I'm glad it's going away naturally and not by rule - because I don't want to hear people whining about the NHL wussifying hockey like I know they would. It's dying because most pure fighters can't play hockey and if you're giving them regular ice time, you're probably not a very good team. 

I don't think it should ever be more illegal than it is right now, but I'm glad there's less time spent doing it. 

I'm glad fighting is dying.

But I really need the NHL to discipline players more. A guy like Radko Gudas should have been neutralized by the DPS but instead is running amok and there's no goons out there to put him in his place anymore. Fighting will come back if the DPS continues to be ineffective.

I admit it. I liked watching Kesler buckle.

I loved it. He antagonized the kid and the got popped in the mouth. It was friggin sweet.

That said, I'm glad there's less of it. I'd probably have a heart attack if one of our skill players got in a scrap. With Des out of the line up we have zero players who can fight. Maybe Foligno, but whatever. For me, it's fine to see, every now and again.

If the league refuses to discipline guys like Gudas or the other flyer ( forget his name- schenn ? ) who jumped a good foot in the air to deliver that head shot the other night then a little on ice discipline is in order. Someone has to keep order. Mind you I'm only talking about vicious illegal hits. I love a good hockey hit.

I admit I enjoyed it and thought the game was losing some of the "play within the play" drama. As I've become more informed on the long term effects on the brain, I'm glad it's gone. The game's lost nothing important.

Now, if we can just lose the fight after the legal hit nonsense ....

It will be open season on the stars! And without that release of pent-up emotions, stick fouls will explode!

I think, like you, I never bought into that justification. I always wanted the league to be honest and say "fighting sells tickets."

I enjoyed that Canucks-Leaves line brawl. 

I enjoyed this one even more. 

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?%2BLine%2Bbrawl%2Bbreaks%2Bout%2Blate%2Bin%2BPats%252fBlades%2Bgame%252c%2Bteams%2Bcombine%2Bfor%2B155%2Bpenalty%2Bminutes&id=593483

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't support fighting where there aren't two willing combatants. 

I do have no problem with it if they are both willing. 

I still believe the reduction in fighting has increased cheap shots/dirty hits. 

I enjoyed that Canucks-Leaves line brawl. 

I enjoyed this one even more. 

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?%2BLine%2Bbrawl%2Bbreaks%2Bout%2Blate%2Bin%2BPats%252fBlades%2Bgame%252c%2Bteams%2Bcombine%2Bfor%2B155%2Bpenalty%2Bminutes&id=593483

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't support fighting where there aren't two willing combatants. 

I do have no problem with it if they are both willing. 

I still believe the reduction in fighting has increased cheap shots/dirty hits. 

easy way to stop that..... enforce the actual rules and do something radical like suspend players for serious penalties

Posted Today, 01:12 AM

I am a Neanderthal. I wanted John Scott in our line up tonight. When we play the Flyers I will have that feeling again cause of Gudas. I'm old school I guess. Eye for an eye. I don't want guys like that saying boo to our guys.

What I don't miss is staged entertainment (Rob/Domi) stuff. Hockey doesn't need fighting to sell itself. Sure there are a segment of fans that want it but overall I think most don't care. If it happens okay but I don't miss it at all personally.

What I don't miss is staged entertainment (Rob/Domi) stuff. Hockey doesn't need fighting to sell itself. Sure there are a segment of fans that want it but overall I think most don't care. If it happens okay but I don't miss it at all personally.

I think there is a difference between staged fighting and a bout between two usual suspects. Generally when Ray and Domi fought it was either for a good reason or just because they generally hated each other.

My definition of staged fights was what became popular over the last several years. If an opposing team scored a couple of quick goals, then there would be a fight to get their team pumped up. Or if a team just wasn't playing well, there would be a fight to get them pumped. Or, if there was just a score to settle from a hit in a previous game. Those are staged fights. If it was done to pump the team up, there was a 50/50 chance no matter what, so half the time you could say it worked. But it was just ridiculous and probably actually hurt the real fighting in the game.

So I don't think it takes a genius to figure out fighting is at a fraction of where it was 5-10 years ago in the NHL. Does everyone agree this is a good thing? Have there been any side effects?

I think it's a bad thing.  It might be a good thing if the refs and DPS actually did their jobs, but they don't.  So the players have to police themselves.

I'm glad it's gone or going. Men should never be encouraged to punch each other out like that.

I also hated the break in the action. Fights could take a minute and then take 15 minutes to sort out the penalties with a bunch of hot heads yelling all over the place it wasn't their fault, they are being cheated and everyone hates them

It will be open season on the stars! And without that release of pent-up emotions, stick fouls will explode!

Disagree.  If fighting was illegal I'd agree, it still provides the deterrent to cheap shots (as does harder penalties).  I for one, like to watch hockey, with hard checking and hitting, but, have not missed the fights, especially the premeditated ones that pitted our tough vs. theirs.

Over time, I'd love for NHL to expand the ice to international dimensions to really open up the game.  And please start strictly enforcing interference and the clutching and grabbing.

The Toronto game was exciting to watch with the uptempo style by both teams

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

Disagree. If fighting was illegal I'd agree, it still provides the deterrent to cheap shots...

I don't believe this at all. Furthermore, when said revenge is enacted, I never feel as if the offender has a proper punishment. Most fights with guys who don't fight frequently don't result in knockouts or even good blows exchanged. It's usually a couple swing and misses, glancing blows then they hug it out.

Now, if every time Radko Gudas tried to paralyze someone (pretty much every hit) he was squarely knocked unconscious, I'd be all for fighting. It doesn't deter these thugs from anything.

I greatly miss fighting and overall tough, physical play from the 1980s.  Stick work, hitting from behind, cheap shots, etc., have all gone out of control as a result too. 

But it's not just about the actual fighting leaving the game.  There is not nearly enough animosity among most teams on most nights, and that is in part to the makeup of players in the league now and high salaries. 

Watching 2 teams play something between a scrimmage and a pre-season game on most regular season nights in terms of intensity is simply not compelling viewing. 

Hockey used to be a hell of a lot more intense than it is now, and the product we have now is not particularly good.

Don't take my word for it; have a look at TV ratings.  They are abysmal.

I greatly miss fighting and overall tough, physical play from the 1980s. Stick work, hitting from behind, cheap shots, etc., have all gone out of control as a result too.

But it's not just about the actual fighting leaving the game. There is not nearly enough animosity among most teams on most nights, and that is in part to the makeup of players in the league now and high salaries.

Watching 2 teams play something between a scrimmage and a pre-season game on most regular season nights in terms of intensity is simply not compelling viewing.

Hockey used to be a hell of a lot more intense than it is now, and the product we have now is not particularly good.

Don't take my word for it; have a look at TV ratings. They are abysmal.

I don't think fighting has deterred cheap shots since the 90s. Guys who play dirty aren't held responsible by the league or the players. After trying to end someone's life by hitting them at 30 mph 4 feet from the boards might result in one skill guys dropping the mitts and going through the motions but the dirty player never gets justice.

Ratings aren't any worse than they ever were. Hockey is a niche sport falling behind MMA, Nascar & golf.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.