Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

After six episodes of Season 3 of Better Call Saul, it finally comes into focus, why and how Jimmy became Saul. Of course it was Kim. Who else? Who else? (Unless I'm misreading why Jimmy feels he has to make some serious money during his 12-month hiatus from the law — to keep the tandem offices with Kim, his dream.)

Edited by PASabreFan

After six episodes of Season 3 of Better Call Saul, it finally comes into focus, why and how Jimmy became Saul. Of course it was Kim. Who else? Who else? (Unless I'm misreading why Jimmy feels he has to make some serious money during his 12-month hiatus from the law — to keep the tandem offices with Kim, his dream.)

Hmmm.  You think he broke bad just to have enough cash to impress his GF?

I suppose it's possible, but IMHO anyone who would break bad for that reason would do so for any of a million other reasons that might present themselves.

Hmmm.  You think he broke bad just to have enough cash to impress his GF?

I suppose it's possible, but IMHO anyone who would break bad for that reason would do so for any of a million other reasons that might present themselves.

I feel like this is a trap!

But... not to impress her, but to be able to be with her. He's broke as episode 7 and is splitting office expenses with Kim. She had just proposed moving into her own, smaller office.

James is an asset to the legal community and should remain a full member of it in good standing.

Hmmm I dunno. I think Chuck is Mrs. O'Leary's cow and Jimmy's life is about to burn down.

On another cinematic note, the ending to Call Me by Your Name was incredible. I hate when movies waste the opportunity to use the closing credits to better use. This movie nailed it. You're going to know who the production intern was, trust me.

For those who haven't seen it, keep in mind that the average house fly's life is fleeting: 28 days.

I went and watched "Ready Player One" this weekend.  For someone who has read the book three times, I was worried that I wouldn't like the film, however, it was incredibly fun to watch.  I knew going into it to temper my expectations that the movie would be just like the book and just let myself enjoy it.

The whole group I went with has read the book and none of us were disappointed.  It is kid friendly as well, I can only remember one F-bomb and it was hilarious when it was used, I wont spoil why it was funny in case you are planning to see it.

I went and watched "Ready Player One" this weekend.  For someone who has read the book three times, I was worried that I wouldn't like the film, however, it was incredibly fun to watch.  I knew going into it to temper my expectations that the movie would be just like the book and just let myself enjoy it.

The whole group I went with has read the book and none of us were disappointed.  It is kid friendly as well, I can only remember one F-bomb and it was hilarious when it was used, I wont spoil why it was funny in case you are planning to see it.

My son and I thought it was decent; my daughter (who loved the book) and my wife didn't like it.

I will probably watch Ready Player One if it's ever on Netflix some day, but I think I'm going to have a hard time enjoying it given that the books have not aged well in the wake of Gamergate and the revelations that have come about regarding the misogyny and gatekeeping of the nerd/gamer community. There are too many intersections between the vile male gaming culture, the alt-right, Trumpism, etc., for me to get past. 

I will probably watch Ready Player One if it's ever on Netflix some day, but I think I'm going to have a hard time enjoying it given that the books have not aged well in the wake of Gamergate and the revelations that have come about regarding the misogyny and gatekeeping of the nerd/gamer community. There are too many intersections between the vile male gaming culture, the alt-right, Trumpism, etc., for me to get past. 

Uh, I'm at a loss, and have no clue what you are talking about.  Gamergate? Vile male gaming culture? 

Uh, I'm at a loss, and have no clue what you are talking about. Gamergate? Vile male gaming culture?

Anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer or doesn't work in the industry probably has no idea.

But if you want to do some reading, I suggest with just giving Gamergate a Google.

Anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer or doesn't work in the industry probably has no idea.

But if you want to do some reading, I suggest with just giving Gamergate a Google.

I am not trying to start a fight with you, and I know what it is, I'm just failing to understand the connection to the book/movie with it along with Trumpism and the alt-right.  Some douchebags harrassed female game designers (horrible, i am not knocking that) but the actions of a few have now ruined any and all games, movie/shows related to games?

I'm with Marions Piazza on this one.  I don't see any connection between Ready Player One and Gamergate.

(On a side note, I've purchased games from a website called GamersGate years ago and I know they're still around.  I bet they weren't too happy with Adam Baldwin coining the Gamergate term.)

I'm with Marions Piazza on this one.  I don't see any connection between Ready Player One and Gamergate.

(On a side note, I've purchased games from a website called GamersGate years ago and I know they're still around.  I bet they weren't too happy with Adam Baldwin coining the Gamergate term.)

Goddammit Jayne. 

I haven't seen it, can't claim to know. I think it's just that a celebration of a culture that's been under a microscope and was in the midst of turmoil/transformation during the movie's production can raise some eyebrows. What I've read of the book (didn't like it or finish it, so take as you will) felt very gate keeper-y and man-splain-y- to use two terms that I'm sure ruffle some feathers. But I'm also really touchy on the whole subject after my years of dealing with that industry. It's hard to explain the whole GG thing to someone who wasn't there to see it happen or feel its effects, but it's completely ruined any chance of me enjoying that culture for a long time. So I guess while I have a unique view of the situation, I'm not entirely sure it's applicable in this case. 

FWIW, I fully expect RPO to be a pop culture nostalgia cash-in with a Tron: Legacy feel. Which is cool. Pop the corns, enjoy the graphics, escape for a couple hours. 

Edited by josie

Implying that gamers are all Gamergaters is like saying Americans are all Trump fans.  It's farcical at best.

i think the trick there is most gamergaters were also trump supporters. There are intersections, but they're the vocal (and unfortunately, somewhat influential) minority. You were probably replying to d4rk not me but hey, people probably assume his opinions are also mine or the result of some of the sh!t my friends and I went through.

Yeah, no one believes all gamers are GGers. No one. That absolutely is farcical. Gaming culture has changed for the better, it's just the scum rising to the top for us to notice. Every subculture and hobby has its a$$holes. These a$$holes were just particularly dangerous and presented as "the average gamer" although they certainly were not. 

Gamers are fine. Games are fine. I'm sure RPO is fine. Probably not worthy of this much discussion, honestly.  Go watch it. Enjoy. I'm a little on the "huh?" side of having my beloved Iron Giant using his gun, though... he hated his gun... :( 

I'm sure RPO is fine. Probably not worthy of this much discussion, honestly.  Go watch it. Enjoy. I'm a little on the "huh?" side of having my beloved Iron Giant using his gun, though... he hated his gun... :(

I'm a bit ambivalent toward Ready Player One.  It comes off as some weird power fantasy that Ernest Cline wrote about his childhood.  Lots of eyerolling in the writing.  It will probably be a fun movie in the same way as Pacific Rim is fun.  Turn your brain off and enjoy the show.

It also didn't help my perception of RPO that I followed it up with The Three-Body Problem, a significantly better written sci-fi novel.

I'm a bit ambivalent toward Ready Player One.  It comes off as some weird power fantasy that Ernest Cline wrote about his childhood.  Lots of eyerolling in the writing.  It will probably be a fun movie in the same way as Pacific Rim is fun.  Turn your brain off and enjoy the show.

It also didn't help my perception of RPO that I followed it up with The Three-Body Problem, a significantly better written sci-fi novel.

I'll have to check out Three-Body Problem! 

".  It comes off as some weird power fantasy that Ernest Cline wrote about his childhood.  Lots of eyerolling in the writing."

THIS is exactly what I've been hearing, negative wise. And that is the main reason I probably won't see it! And what I remember of it definitely had me eye rolling. Different strokes for different folks, tho 

I went into RPO with low/no expectations with the intent of having fun knowing how most Spielberg movies are.

With that background, our family of four all thoroughly enjoyed the movie. My kids had also recently read the book and weren't disappointed. The nostalgia and classic video game references were great.

The extended part that a classic Stephen King novel turned movie played was the most unexpected and enjoyable part for me.

Just turn your brain off and enjoy Spielberg over the top nostalgia on steroids and enjoy yourself. That's what this movie was made for and it served that propose perfectly. Not every movie needs to be dissected thoroughly. Some movies are just fun!

I went into RPO with low/no expectations with the intent of having fun knowing how most Spielberg movies are.

With that background, our family of four all thoroughly enjoyed the movie. My kids had also recently read the book and weren't disappointed. The nostalgia and classic video game references were great.

The extended part that a classic Stephen King novel turned movie played was the most unexpected and enjoyable part for me.

Just turn your brain off and enjoy Spielberg over the top nostalgia on steroids and enjoy yourself. That's what this movie was made for and it served that propose perfectly. Not every movie needs to be dissected thoroughly. Some movies are just fun!

This describes my mindset on RPO pretty well. 

I'm not sure about power fantasy, but RPO and Armada (another of his books) follow similar scripts: teen kid who games too much is vindicated. I chalk that up to "writing what you know", but I've never been one to read a ton of subtext into things so I'm sure to be missing things. Haven't seen the movie, read those two books. They were fun enough for what they were but they felt like a teen writing with a bunch of cliches (see: Eragon). You can release just about any fantasy or video game movie and a certain population will eat it up. :)

Armada Spoiler below.

I was going to get mad at Armada until the book fessed up that it, shall we say, owes a lot to The Last Starfighter.

Edited by MattiPaj