Pu dropped.

nfreeman

• 2 weeks later...

2 more points for Pu in a 3-2ot win vs rival Windsor. Pissed cause I messed up recording the game. Currently 4th in OHL scoring. Good chance that 4 out of 5 top OHL scorers go to the WJC, so he has a real chance to win the scoring race since (for some reason) he isn't being considered for Team Canada

Awesome. Glad to see he's really making a mark.

Edited by kas23

Cliff Pu: 18g, 24a, 23games.

Yep.  He had a goal and an assist in London's Friday game and a goal in their Saturday game.  He has been unbelievably consistent.  He gets points in nearly every game.  It's not as if a hot streak or two has skewed the stats. 

Serious question because I don't know. If a player is posting those type of point totals at that level - is it possible that the player would get better being moved to Rochester?

Yes. But he cannot be moved to Rochester until his junior season ends. Also he would have to play juniors again next year or be in the NHL, Rochester is not an option. He needs either 4 junior seasons, or to be 20 by the cutoff date to be Rochester eligible next year. Edited by LGR4GM

Yep.  He had a goal and an assist in London's Friday game and a goal in their Saturday game.  He has been unbelievably consistent.  He gets points in nearly every game.  It's not as if a hot streak or two has skewed the stats. 

If the conversion rate still holds, Pu translates to around 44-45 points in the NHL if he maintains his current pace. That's as a rookie

The idea that GM TM might have found a real gem outside of Round 1 is quite exciting.

On his assists, is there any resource that would give an idea of the "quality" of the same? I.e., is he getting a bunch of secondary helpers that could be skewing the output?

Also: Given that the kid now has a trajectory heading toward the middle or even top 6, I'll renew the petition that the scatological humour be abandoned. And that's coming from someone who is chided by his wife at least three times a week to knock it off with the bathroom jokes. 

Yes. But he cannot be moved to Rochester until his junior season ends. Also he would have to play juniors again next year or be in the NHL, Rochester is not an option. He needs either 4 junior seasons, or to be 20 by the cutoff date to be Rochester eligible next year.

Thanks for the explanation.

Is the fact he has to either be on the Sabres or go back to Juniors next year due to him being designated there to begin with?  I guess what I'm asking is could he have gone to Rochester this year if the Sabres chose? 

Thanks for the explanation.

Is the fact he has to either be on the Sabres or go back to Juniors next year due to him being designated there to begin with?  I guess what I'm asking is could he have gone to Rochester this year if the Sabres chose? 

No, it's hard-written into the CBA.  Junior eligible players can't play in the AHL, as per what Liger cited. 

The idea that GM TM might have found a real gem outside of Round 1 is quite exciting.

On his assists, is there any resource that would give an idea of the "quality" of the same? I.e., is he getting a bunch of secondary helpers that could be skewing the output?

Also: Given that the kid now has a trajectory heading toward the middle or even top 6, I'll renew the petition that the scatological humour be abandoned. And that's coming from someone who is chided by his wife at least three times a week to knock it off with the bathroom jokes. 

I can see if I can dig up this stat but I've watched some of London's games and he looks legit.  His stats are not being propped up by secondary assists.  He is their number one centre and plays top like PP and top like PK minutes.  I don't have the stat handy but I believe he also has a great faceoff percentage.

Edit - just found his faceoff percentage is over 64% which is pretty incredible.  He's the ROR of the London Knights for sure.

Edited by Derrico

He won't be 19 until June, so he is not Rochester eligible after this season. Buffalo or London

I apologize for the lack of knowledge and hope I'm not irritating you.  So it's because of his age he can't play in Rochester but he could have made the Sabres?  Can you explain why that rule is in place?  I'm trying to figure out what it protects or protects against.  

I apologize for the lack of knowledge and hope I'm not irritating you.  So it's because of his age he can't play in Rochester but he could have made the Sabres?  Can you explain why that rule is in place?  I'm trying to figure out what it protects or protects against.  

The rule is to protect the OHL (really the entire CHL for that matter).  The CHL is one of the best developmental leagues and the rule is in place to keep the league competitive.  Otherwise every team would sent their best prospects to the AHL.

I don't love the rule and I think there should be some exceptions but that is why it is in place.

Edited by Derrico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.