Sabres training camp 2016

Hoss

Losing Benoit definitely hurts the bullpen, but I think our pitching is much better than last year and there's nobody more dangerous in the 2-3-4 than Donaldson-EE-Bautista. The defense is very good and the team speed is to a point where we don't need to rely on the "three true outcomes" of relying on home runs to win.

To your point I am worried that they are not riding a hot streak into the playoffs, but once you get in it's a whole new ballgame.

Depends on the Benoit. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-trim-camp-roster-to-33/c-282299652

Bailey and Carrier sent down.

Vogl reported Baptiste has been sent down, but he's not in the release.

Seems consistent with "better to give the young guys lots of minutes in Rochester than to ride the bench in Buffalo" approach.

From what I've seen, Matty Mo has acquitted himself quite well so far.

Moulson has looked ok.

He hasn't looked better than Ennis nor Kane. If he doesn't bump 1 of them off a top 2 line (& beat out Girgensons for 1 of them as well) then he's 4th line & 2nd PP. I'd rather see Grant centering D-Lo & Foligno or Zemgus or Z centering D-Lo & Fasching/ Foligno than any 4th line combo including Moulson.

Keep Moulson in the pressbox until Goodwin Ennis suffers the inevitable injury.

Moulson has looked ok.

He hasn't looked better than Ennis nor Kane. If he doesn't bump 1 of them off a top 2 line (& beat out Girgensons for 1 of them as well) then he's 4th line & 2nd PP. I'd rather see Grant centering D-Lo & Foligno or Zemgus or Z centering D-Lo & Fasching/ Foligno than any 4th line combo including Moulson.

Keep Moulson in the pressbox until Goodwin Ennis suffers the inevitable injury.

Huh? I don't in anyway associate Ennis with Glass Goodwin. Outside of missing last season am I forgetting something on him? I was glad to see him last night and feel that he is recovered properly. He was able to do a couple of moves that cemented it for me. So now do we trade him?

Huh? I don't in anyway associate Ennis with Glass Goodwin. Outside of missing last season am I forgetting something on him? I was glad to see him last night and feel that he is recovered properly. He was able to do a couple of moves that cemented it for me. So now do we trade him?

Hope he'll be healthy, but after guys miss time multiple times for concussions they seem to recur frequently. I'd be very surprised if he plays all 82.

They're paying Moulson too much to let him rot away in the bottom six. He'll get every opportunity on the top 6, I think he'll produce with O'Reilly and Okposo.

Put Ennis on the 3rd line with Foligno and Girgensons.

They're paying Moulson too much to let him rot away in the bottom six. He'll get every opportunity on the top 6, I think he'll produce with O'Reilly and Okposo.

Who the cares how much they are paying him?

Given our deep pocketed owner, I don't think this concern matters one bit. That's not to say they wouldn't want Moulson to produce as a top 6 forward, but he hasn't earned the promotion back to that status. Personally, I still think he's on the bubble. 

Given our deep pocketed owner, I don't think this concern matters one bit. That's not to say they wouldn't want Moulson to produce as a top 6 forward, but he hasn't earned the promotion back to that status. Personally, I still think he's on the bubble.

He scored +30g 3 years in a row on the Island. You want that kind of production out of him, don't put him in the bottom 6. I think he'll do better with O'Reilly and Okposo than Ennis or Kane would. Him and Okposo have chemistry, maybe even Eichel in the middle would work too. We'll find ou shortly.

He scored +30g 3 years in a row on the Island. You want that kind of production out of him, don't put him in the bottom 6. I think he'll do better with O'Reilly and Okposo than Ennis or Kane would. Him and Okposo have chemistry, maybe even Eichel in the middle would work too. We'll find ou shortly.

I agree he needs to skate with better players to get back to where he was, but he was given every chance last year and failed, often miserably. The other wingers that took his place in the top 6 were more productive, so it's not like we can point to lack of talent surrounding him. Makes sense to see if he can recapture some Islander magic with Okposo, but after last year, that's just not a given and I'd be more worried about Moulson dragging that line down vs. them picking him up. Again, just based on what I saw last year. 

Main point is, I don't think the Sabres will let his salary dictate where he plays. I honestly think if he can't play a bottom 3 role, his days may be numbered. 

Interesting.  Assuming early reports of some improvement by Moulson are accurate and he keeps hustling, he'll probably get a shot with those 2 at some point, unless Ennis or Kane both looks great with them and stays healthy.  And if not those, 2, with other skilled forwards who will create chances for him. 

Last year he was pretty much always a step behind the play and thus unable to use his finishing skills.  If he really is quicker this year (which, it must be said, is unlikely at his age), there could be a resurrection. 

Interesting.  Assuming early reports of some improvement by Moulson are accurate and he keeps hustling, he'll probably get a shot with those 2 at some point, unless Ennis or Kane both looks great with them and stays healthy.  And if not those, 2, with other skilled forwards who will create chances for him. 

Last year he was pretty much always a step behind the play and thus unable to use his finishing skills.  If he really is quicker this year (which, it must be said, is unlikely at his age), there could be a resurrection. 

Better off season workout could be the main reason he looks quicker, but his game has always been about going to the net and get his goals there.

Last year he wasn't able to do so.  

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-trim-camp-roster-to-33/c-282299652

Bailey and Carrier sent down.

Vogl reported Baptiste has been sent down, but he's not in the release.

Is Gloria Estefan injured because she's still on the roster too. I really haven't been following closely but I hadn't seen the name mentioned much.

I am wondering about this, too. Is he in contention for a spot still? Hurt? Haven't heard either way, but he's still on the roster.

Still trying to get an official number but the general idea is that Lehner shed about 40lbs. Now his unofficial weight was around 245ish but I also saw mentioned he had been around 260 before he finally was healthy enough for workouts. I am therefore guesstimating that Lehner is clocking in at roughly 215-220lbs.  I personally think he sustained his ankle injury because he was still out of shape post concussion and that coupled with his weight resulted in the injury. I do not think he is injury prone. Should be an interesting year for him. 

Still trying to get an official number but the general idea is that Lehner shed about 40lbs. Now his unofficial weight was around 245ish but I also saw mentioned he had been around 260 before he finally was healthy enough for workouts. I am therefore guesstimating that Lehner is clocking in at roughly 215-220lbs.  I personally think he sustained his ankle injury because he was still out of shape post concussion and that coupled with his weight resulted in the injury. I do not think he is injury prone. Should be an interesting year for him. 

He looks downright chiseled, even skinny, compared to last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.