Political Correctness

JJFIVEOH

It was widely used in the medical community. Lets not split hairs.

It is a medical term.  When I was fifteen, my dentist referred to my wisdom teeth growth as "retarded."  It means "slow."  

I'm still getting two in.  So my teeth are VERY retarded.

But using it as a term to describe people with mental faculties that are less than ours?  That's out.  

I think people with herpes need to stand up and be heard. 

There's an old story, and, for the sake of the SS filter, I'll substitute "jerk' for "a-s-s-h-o-x-x"

If you wake up in the morning and you meet a jerk, you met a jerk.

If you keep meeting jerks all day, you're the jerk.

Edited by Eleven

It is a medical term. When I was fifteen, my dentist referred to my wisdom teeth growth as "retarded." It means "slow."

I'm still getting two in. So my teeth are VERY retarded.

But using it as a term to describe people with mental faculties that are less than ours? That's out.

But why is it out?

But why is it out?

Partly because retarded became a perjorative when people started using the word as a substitute for stupid.

And partly because it is inaccurate. The typical individual described as retarded wasnt retarded. Retarded means delayed. They werent mentally or cognitively delayed. There was no time frame to get "normally" developed in those cases.

Partly because retarded became a perjorative when people started using the word as a substitute for stupid.

And partly because it is inaccurate. The typical individual described as retarded wasnt retarded. Retarded means delayed. They werent mentally or cognitively delayed. There was no time frame to get "normally" developed in those cases.

Interesting, did not know that

As for the first part, I believe that is JJ's point. 

I think people with herpes need to stand up and be heard.

This post is exactly why you are getting push back. You are offer d information and return with straw men instead of logical responses. It leads one to conclude that your actions are willful and not the result of the inability to keep up with information.

But why is it out?

I won't mind if you use the term "retarded" to describe my wisdom teeth.

I'll mind if you use it to describe a person.

Funny thing is, even 5 or 6 years ago, even on this board, fine.

We've learned.  We've grown.

This post is exactly why you are getting push back. You are offer d information and return with straw men instead of logical responses. It leads one to conclude that your actions are willful and not the result of the inability to keep up with information.

Again, he's the only one.  If he wants to think we're all wrong, well, he's the jerk.

Interesting, did not know that

As for the first part, I believe that is JJ's point.

Had he spent 1 minute on Google, or took Hoss' response as truthful (or at least well meaning) he would have discovered the 2nd part as well.

We've learned. We've grown.

I need to start posting in 3rd person.

Perhaps that was overboard. But where do we draw the line? That was one of my initial questions. 

Had he spent 1 minute on Google, or took Hoss' response as truthful (or at least well meaning) he would have discovered the 2nd part as well.

I need to start posting in 3rd person.

Can you expand on this? I don't see where this is going. 

I didn't know hermaphrodite was "wrong" until this morning.  I'm ok with using a new word.  

JJ, this isn't hard.  Again, if a community doesn't like a word, just don't.  I don't like "######" or "guinea" and I don't hear them anymore.  I'm sure others on this board don't like "######," and still others, "######."  Language evolves in a lot of directions.  Some words become offensive and go out of style.  I haven't heard the curse "zounds" in my lifetime, for example, but it was considered extremely offensive once upon a time.

EDIT:  The missing words are w-o-p, k-i-k-e, and n-e-g-r-o.

I think circumventing the filter should be safe if we're having a grownup conversation about words.  I'll take the punishment if I'm wrong.

Edited by Eleven

It is a medical term.  When I was fifteen, my dentist referred to my wisdom teeth growth as "retarded."  It means "slow."  

I'm still getting two in.  So my teeth are VERY retarded.

But using it as a term to describe people with mental faculties that are less than ours?  That's out.  

There's an old story, and, for the sake of the SS filter, I'll substitute "jerk' for "a-s-s-h-o-x-x"

If you wake up in the morning and you meet a jerk, you met a jerk.

If you keep meeting jerks all day, you're the jerk.

Again, he's the only one.  If he wants to think we're all wrong, well, he's the jerk.

Did I say something to offend you?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Perhaps that was overboard. But where do we draw the line? That was one of my initial questions.

Can you expand on this? I don't see where this is going.

The condition we are discussing is not "hermaphrodite". Hermaphrodite describes an animal with both sex organs. That is not the case with humans. They may exihibit traits of both sex organs, but it isnt complete. Some amphibians, for example, are hermaphrodites. A person may have some of both sexual traits but are not hermaphrodites. Wrong term.

I did not know this until I spent all of 2 minutes on google. It was alot less energy than arguing with hoss about it, and i learned something.

Did I say something to offend you?

No, but you're not seeing it.

Another analogy:  If you're playing poker for an hour and you don't know who the patsy is, you're the patsy.

I'm not saying you're wrong, JJ, but it is obvious that freaking everyone else has moved beyond your point of view.  You can hold on to it or modernize.  It's up to you.  It won't affect me either way.  But you're the outlier, not EVERYONE ELSE.

The condition we are discussing is not "hermaphrodite". Hermaphrodite describes an animal with both sex organs. That is not the case with humans. They may exihibit traits of both sex organs, but it isnt complete. Some amphibians, for example, are hermaphrodites. A person may have some of both sexual traits but are not hermaphrodites. Wrong term.

I did not know this until I spent all of 2 minutes on google. It was alot less energy than arguing with hoss about it, and i learned something.

The point about intersex and hermaphrodite is moot, because it was stated that the term hermaphrodite was considered offensive. The term intersex at this point is irrelevant. 

This is why I asked you to expand because you seem to be linking the two together. 

Human hermaphroditism does exist, if it matters. You're right, it isn't the same as other species who are naturally hermaphroditic. 

I didn't know hermaphrodite was "wrong" until this morning.  I'm ok with using a new word.  

JJ, this isn't hard.  Again, if a community doesn't like a word, just don't.  I don't like "######" or "guinea" and I don't hear them anymore.  I'm sure others on this board don't like "######," and still others, "######."  Language evolves in a lot of directions.  Some words become offensive and go out of style.  I haven't heard the curse "zounds" in my lifetime, for example, but it was considered extremely offensive once upon a time.

EDIT:  The missing words are w-o-p, k-i-k-e, and n-e-g-r-o.

I think circumventing the filter should be safe if we're having a grownup conversation about words.  I'll take the punishment if I'm wrong.

What is this?

No, but you're not seeing it.

Another analogy:  If you're playing poker for an hour and you don't know who the patsy is, you're the patsy.

I'm not saying you're wrong, JJ, but it is obvious that freaking everyone else has moved beyond your point of view.  You can hold on to it or modernize.  It's up to you.  It won't affect me either way.  But you're the outlier, not EVERYONE ELSE.

This isn't about whether or not I accept it and move on. This was a generalized thread about the issue of political correctness. And nowhere have I said I'm not willing to move on and accept it. I asked WHY we have to keep coming up with new labels and then get criticized for not using simply because there are more important things to worry about?

As much as might want to believe it, this doesn't apply to EVERYONE ELSE. A good chunk of America is sick of the political correctness in that it has crossed the line from legit to petty. Even many liberals (which is where the vast majority of political correctness comes from) are starting to say this needs to stop. 

When you can't keep up with it, something has to give. 

I think it's funny that you're lecturing me about being more tolerant and empathetic, and turn around and call me a patsy and a jerk. 

Ya know, I'm gonna scratch that one. The irony should be obvious. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This isn't about whether or not I accept it and move on. This was a generalized thread about the issue of political correctness. And nowhere have I said I'm not willing to move on and accept it. I asked WHY we have to keep coming up with new labels and then get criticized for not using simply because there are more important things to worry about?

As much as might want to believe it, this doesn't apply to EVERYONE ELSE. A good chunk of America is sick of the political correctness in that it has crossed the line from legit to petty. Even many liberals (which is where the vast majority of political correctness comes from) are starting to say this needs to stop. 

When you can't keep up with it, something has to give. 

I think it's funny that you're lecturing me about being more tolerant and empathetic, and turn around and call me a patsy and a jerk. 

I haven't called you anything.  I have used two analogies.  Both of them are about a lack of self-recognition.

Look, language evolves.  Words that mean one thing can come to mean another.  Take "minister."  It once meant "servant."  Look at what it means now, not in the religious context (where it certainly could mean that), but in the political one.  Like "prime minister," or "minister for education."  Different, no?

Same with n-e-g-r-o.  That used to mean a skin type or an ethnic type or whatever, but it came to be offensive.  We don't use it anymore.  Same with retard.  Same with f-a-g.

If words become unacceptable to the populations that the words are used to describe, what's so hard about moving on from those words?  And if, again, EVERYONE ELSE is able to do it, why can't you?  (Thus, the two analogies above.)

'Guinea', what is that? Googled it and found the country

My Italian grandmother would never have expected to see this day! Small victories, small victories.

Er, Italian American. Um, American of Italian descent.

Edited by N'eo

Pejorative for Italian people.

My Italian grandmother would never have expected to see this day! Small victories, small victories.

Hmm, learn something new everyday. What is the origin behind that? I see no correlation 

Correct.  Dealt with that one a lot when I lived in the South.  I'm not even Italian.  I'm American.

Ah Eleven, you've stolen my heart  :wub:

Correct.  Dealt with that one a lot when I lived in the South.  I'm not even Italian.  I'm American.

I think it's important to note that within all of these communities, the offensive words are often co-opted to turn them around on the offenders, reduce their sting. My dad, whose parents emigrated from Italy, would use the term "" around other "Italian" men. The n-word is probably the best example. And "."

See also this perplexing one: NAACP. I would never call a black person colored.

And even the -retentive SS filter has no problem with colored.

But , it does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.