Get off my lawn! (the over 50 thread)

Doohickie

Had that exact bike. I modified it heavy eventually putting 10 speed handlebars on it. Thanks for posting. Haven't thought of it in years. My mind is over 50.

It seems like that bike was way more rake and trail than modern stuff. Was that just this bike or indicative of the era?

Penny Candy counters...

I know some of the youngsters here will say, hey we got that.  Well you do, but we don't.  There were stores with entire walls dedicated to buying penny candy.  You would get two or three or more pieces for a penny.  A dime bought you a fair amount of cavities.  We all walked out with a white sack full of candy.

Penny Candy counters...

I know some of the youngsters here will say, hey we got that.  Well you do, but we don't.  There were stores with entire walls dedicated to buying penny candy.  You would get two or three or more pieces for a penny.  A dime bought you a fair amount of cavities.  We all walked out with a white sack full of candy.

As kids, we were allocated $0.10 each Sunday to go to the corner store..... my sister always bought 2 $0.05 candy bars, and I went for the penny candy......

It seems like that bike was way more rake and trail than modern stuff. Was that just this bike or indicative of the era?

The era.  It also has a 48" wheelbase.  I believe most modern bikes are about 42" or less.

Penny Candy counters...

I thought you were saying that my wife was responding to something.  You see, her mom told her she wanted to name her Penelope Candace so she could call her Penny Candy.  (She used to use that name online.)

I really hope my midlife crisis doesn't come with a bike fetish :P

Always imagined a 20 year old younger wife and a sportscar.

Bikes are healthier.  And if I was interested, the 20-years-younger cyclist chicks are in better shape than your average non-cyclist.

Edited by High Ankle Sprain

Who remembers Joe Crozier challenging the width of Ken Dryden's pads?  First and likely only time I have ever seen it happen.

If you remember it, what was the remedy?

Like it was yesterday. Good times. Good times indeed. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=G0uhQcV4mn0C&pg=RA1-PA30&lpg=RA1-PA30&dq=joe+crozier+ken+dryden%27s+pads&source=bl&ots=GmZm9lxj6V&sig=5tAU4XJSsa2LcUj_LMfZIU5ybOQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU8K2hoeXPAhXECD4KHVBkCxQQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=joe%20crozier%20ken%20dryden's%20pads&f=false

Old Fart Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1yyoe377k

'39 is a track from Queen's Night at the Opera album.  If you count the tracks of all their albums in order, it's the 39th track.  The song is about Einstein's Theory of Relativity, in which explorers leave the earth and travel for a year (in their time) and return to earth a hundred years later.

It shifts from science fiction to tragedy abruptly in the last three lines of the song, when one of the travelers mourns his long-dead wife:

All your letters in the sand

Cannot heal me like your hand

For my life still ahead pity me

Thank you for this post.  My mom got this album when it came out, and I listened to it a lot and really liked it (still do).  '39 was one of my fave songs on this album (after "I'm in Love with my Car").  I "knew" most of the lyrics to '39, but obviously had no idea what they were talking about.  Nowadays I know Brian May is some kind of physics genius, so it makes perfect sense.  Thank you for connecting the dots for me.

Old Fart Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1yyoe377k

'39 is a track from Queen's Night at the Opera album.  If you count the tracks of all their albums in order, it's the 39th track.  The song is about Einstein's Theory of Relativity, in which explorers leave the earth and travel for a year (in their time) and return to earth a hundred years later.

It shifts from science fiction to tragedy abruptly in the last three lines of the song, when one of the travelers mourns his long-dead wife:

All your letters in the sand

Cannot heal me like your hand

For my life still ahead pity me

Happiest song ever written as per Dutch cognitive neuroscientist Dr Jacob Jolij

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen

Was a trip to the Senaca Mall a thing for any of you?

Listened on the car radio in the parking lot as the Bills finally broke The Streak.

I heard that on SiriusXM on the way home tonight.

That is funny. 

I heard about the study like a month or so ago.  Of course the study was done longer ago than that.  I haven't been in this thread for ages.

oh crap just remembered Lost in Space... The Rifleman with Chuck Connor and of course Dragnet, the Original with Charles Webb and Harry Morgan, and the original Hawaii 5-0

Really hate to do this, but since he is an icon, it's Jack Webb. (and Chuck Connors). 

Edit:  I was talking to my staff today about Jack Lord, the real Steve McGarrett.  and they looked at me uncomprehendingly.  And one of my folks was from Hawaii.  How can that be?

Edited by Tondas

Anyone from South Buffalo West Seneca do the Trautweins fish on Seneca street during lent? I have cravings for their cole slaw from time to time.

Someday we'll meet. I'll tell you my Ms. Trautwein story. It's short, and most unusual. We met very late in her life. My college job took me to her home from time to time in the early 1980s. I was at her house the day she died, widowed and alone.

Every visit, she had me sit on her sofa while she showed me an 8x10 framed photo of her son, in uniform, during WWII. It was one of those black and white photos that had been colorized. He was a handsome young man with rich skin and rosy cheeks. I'd guess she was born around 1900.

I never made it to the family store.

Wonderful lady.

Riding in a VW bus over the Hamilton Skyway with the wind blowing and worried about getting blown off. Stop sign to get on Rt 69 going up to Parry Sound ON

Why did you visit Perry Sound?

I went, once, on my way to the French River for a fishing trip. I went to see the home of Robert Gordon Orr. My friends were less impressed with the detour than me. Driver's privilege!

I don't remember the stop sign but I do remember the skyway. Steel plants adnd industry in Hamilton.

I also remember the sign that read "Perry Sound, Birthplace of Bobby Orr". This was before cell phones and cameras, alas.

Edited by N'eo

Really hate to do this, but since he is an icon, it's Jack Webb. (and Chuck Connors).

Edit: I was talking to my staff today about Jack Lord, the real Steve McGarrett. and they looked at me uncomprehendingly. And one of my folks was from Hawaii. How can that be?

Book 'em Dano!

Seriously though, I really enjoy the new Hawaii Five-0. It's stupid, fun, buddy cop action.

Someday we'll meet. I'll tell you my Ms. Trautwein story. It's short, and most unusual. We met her very late in her life. My college job took me to her home from time to time in the early 1980s. I was at her house the day she died, widowed and alone.

Every visit, she had me sit on her sofa while she showed me an 8x10 framed photo of her son, in uniform, during WWII. It was one of those black and white photos that had been colorized. He was a handsome young man with rich skin and rosy cheeks. I'd guess she was born around 1900.

I never made it to the family store.

Wonderful lady.

Why did you visit Perry Sound?

I went, once, on my way to the French River for a fishing trip. I went to see the home of Robert Gordon Orr. My friends were less impressed with the detour than me. Driver's privilege!

I don't remember the stop sign but I do remember the skyway. Steel plants adnd industry in Hamilton.

I also remember the sign that read "Perry Sound, Birthplace of Bobby Orr". This was before cell phones and cameras, alas.

That is incredibly sad and for some reason unjust.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.