Get off my lawn! (the over 50 thread)

Doohickie

Blue laws. For you young 'ins, you couldn't buy anything on Sunday's. Only drugstores were open.

In the 80's the blue laws had "evolved" for lack of a better term to where we could buy beer in NC on Sundays, but not until 1pm.  Being in our 20's at the time, my friends and I never planned ahead for football Sundays.  This meant we would show up at the convenience store nearest to us at 12:45 and try to talk the middle-aged lady into selling us beer a few minutes early so we wouldn't miss the kickoff.  She would have none of it and who could blame her?  We continued to show up there at 12:45 every football Sunday, so we could get the beer ASAP and miss the minimum amount of football.  We really enjoyed hanging out with her those 15 minutes each week, and I think she did, too.  Eventually she got a portable TV and brought it to work so we could actually watch the kickoffs which was really cool.  Then when the whistle blew after the kickoff, we were then allowed to buy our beer.  Good times.

Drinking from a hose

Walking every where

Go out and do something

Kickball

I am not a crook

Milk machines

Milk 25 cents a quart, gasoline 32 cents a gallon, phone calls 10 cents, Candy bars 25 cents, cigarettes 50 cents, six pack of Budweiser 1.99

I don't remember the Nixon thing (wasn't born), and I don't remember the prices of stuff. Everything else was still around in the early 80s though.

Party lines and Cheektowaga with rural parts.

A friend of mine had one in the early 90s in Marilla.

I remember most of this stuff and I'm only 31. Y'all are a bunch of fake old people.

No kidding.

From Erie Pa....... 

Red Barn fast food, The Moody Blues and Carole King, Johnny Quest, Pong, Wrist Rockets, Flexible Flyers, Lost in Space, Eating Sunday dinner (gwumpki's) on the steps to the 2nd floor of gramma's house. Bugle Boy tobacco, The good the bad and the ugly. 

Nipi...... a game (often leading to stitches) where the "batter" stood in a 6' diameter circle of rope with a long stick for a bat and a "nipi" for the "ball". The nipi was a 6" long piece of wood, 2 - 3" in diameter,  whittled to points on both ends. The batter would lay the nipi on the ground and strike it on one of the pointy ends, popping the nipi up into the air, and then strike the nipi out of the air towards the glove-less fielders. The fielders could catch the nipi (if they were insane) and they would immediately go to bat. Or they could pick the nipi up from where it landed and try to throw it back into the batter's circle, where the batter would try to strike it out of the air back out into the fielders. If the nipi landed in the rope circle the fielder was now the batter....... over and over..... until the streetlights came on or your mom whistled for you.

From Erie Pa.......  Eating Sunday dinner (gwumpki's) on the steps to the 2nd floor of gramma's house. Bugle Boy tobacco, The good the bad and the ugly. 

Not to be picky with you but it's spelled Golabki, to this day I still love cooked Kapusta, my grandmother used to make her own homemade sauerkraut also.

House of Frankenstein early Sunday morning out of Canada. Wolfman Jack ended every episode with a new song.

Mason Reese

Rodney Allen Ripley

Tiny Tim - still creeps me out today.

Car 54 Were Are You?

Motley's Crew - the comic strip from the Currier Express.

Freddy's Donuts

The Skyway Drive-In

The Como 8

The .22 Caliber Killer

Playing basketball and street hockey at the Nativity playground on Hampshire Street across from a little mom and pop store that sold the best Italian Ice. I can't remember the name, Gancey's maybe. 

Morgantee's penny candy store on Niagara Street across from Pizza Town. 

JJ Arms.

Evil Knievel with jumping ramp and trailer

Your Host 

The short happy life of the Buffalo Braves was truly wonderful. Big league, big time, stars, competitive for a time ... and so many greats came to Buffalo. I've seen a couple dozen NBA hall of farmers live because I was a kid in Buffalo.

Awesome logo ...

post-1462-0-97691100-1470707901_thumb.png

Edited by N'eo

I jinxed myself.  Went over the handlebars on this morning's ride.  Trying to decide if an ER visit is in my future.

Well I got away with one there.  Over the handlebars, landed on the shoulder, crucially, I think, managed to roll instead of planting the shoulder.  Nice road rash on my back, some bruising on my upper arm, a few nicks of road rash on assorted elbows, ankles and knees.  Yesterday was an Advil day and I tried to just get through the evening.  Tonight.... the shoulder is just the slightest bit stiff; it feels just about normal. 

It's not too gory, but put it in a Spoiler just in case you're eating or something.

13912494_1036155963099960_19404738643976

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.