Get off my lawn! (the over 50 thread)

Doohickie

The lack of appreciation for musical talent, evolution, and innovation is staggering. Some of you would have me believe The Beatles were the blueprint for Menudo. There was no shortage of cookie cutter boy bands before and during the Beatles reign. You should look to those as examples. The Beatles were on an entirely different playing field.

Hear, hear.

A couple of young men happened to meet at a church fete in 1957. They grew up to become two of the best singer/songwriters of the 20th century. That was no boy band.

The Monkees were a boy band.

Hear, hear.

A couple of young men happened to meet at a church fete in 1957. They grew up to become two of the best singer/songwriters of the 20th century. That was no boy band.

The Monkees were a boy band.

Thousands of 14 - 16 yr old screaming girls at each airport disagree with you :p

Lew Alcindor and Cassius Clay

Awesome!

The lack of appreciation for musical talent, evolution, and innovation is staggering. Some of you would have me believe The Beatles were the blueprint for Menudo. There was no shortage of cookie cutter boy bands before and during the Beatles reign. You should look to those as examples. The Beatles were on an entirely different playing field.

Here, here - and hear, hear.

Magical Mystery Tour was my first record.

Edited by N'eo

I think the Osmonds are just a bit before the Jacksons, although they were pretty much contemporaries.  Osmonds recorded their first pop song in 1967, the Jacksons in 1969.

Used to be I couldn't stand them as a kid. Still can't but Marie shore is blurry now for the last few decades I guess.

House of Frankenstein early Sunday morning out of Canada. Wolfman Jack ended every episode with a new song.

Mason Reese

Rodney Allen Ripley

Tiny Tim - still creeps me out today.

Car 54 Were Are You?

Motley's Crew - the comic strip from the Currier Express.

Freddy's Donuts

The Skyway Drive-In

The Como 8

The .22 Caliber Killer

Playing basketball and street hockey at the Nativity playground on Hampshire Street across from a little mom and pop store that sold the best Italian Ice. I can't remember the name, Gancey's maybe. 

Morgantee's penny candy store on Niagara Street across from Pizza Town. 

JJ Arms.

Evil Knievel with jumping ramp and trailer

Your Host 

I know the years have clouded our collective memories, but this show was "House of Frightenstein" and the "DJ" was not Wolfman Jack, but was called simply "The Wolfman", although his voice was a very close approximation of the real Wolfman Jack.  The Wolfman, and all of the other characters on the show (except for Igor) were played by an actor/writer named Billy Van.  Some of the other characters were Grizelda (a witch) and Bwana Clyde Batty (an explorer/adventurer type complete with pith helmet).  Billy Van also wrote for and appeared on a number of variety shows on CBS (Sonny & Cher, the Smothers Brothers) .  He was also a regular on a game show (of sorts) from Canada called "The Party Game", which consisted of two teams of three celebrities playing charades. 

Sorry, I guess I just had a "memory dump"  I swear I did not look any of this up online.......

Edited by Sabre Dance

• 2 weeks later...

Currently pining for the days of my banana seat bike. Mine was metallic green ( including seat ). Had a friend Paul who lives down the street who once jumped 14 kids but landed the back wheel on the last kids ankle. Hockey cards in the spokes and some of the rebels had front forks on the end of the original forks to give their bikes a cool chopper look. Those were great times.

Was a trip to the Senaca Mall a thing for any of you?

Meat from the butcher. Bread and rolls from the baker. Donuts from MANGANO'S.

I was a Thruway Mall kid.  My mom used to walk with my little brother and me to Johnny's Meat Market on Union Road (a bit south of Genesee).  Each of us kids would get a "sample" of bologna that we would roll up and eat.  My earliest donut memory was going down to Waring's Grocery (now a card/comic book shop) and getting donuts there.  It was just a couple blocks from the house I grew up in.

Meat still comes from the butcher. 

My granddad was a baker, so bread, rolls, and donuts were not an issue.

Meat still comes from the butcher. 

My granddad was a baker, so bread, rolls, and donuts were not an issue.

And i'm in the wrong thread again.

I was a Thruway Mall kid.  My mom used to walk with my little brother and me to Johnny's Meat Market on Union Road (a bit south of Genesee).  Each of us kids would get a "sample" of bologna that we would roll up and eat.  My earliest donut memory was going down to Waring's Grocery (now a card/comic book shop) and getting donuts there.  It was just a couple blocks from the house I grew up in.

Nice '64 Galaxie convertible across the street on Union. 

Currently pining for the days of my banana seat bike. Mine was metallic green ( including seat ). Had a friend Paul who lives down the street who once jumped 14 kids but landed the back wheel on the last kids ankle. Hockey cards in the spokes and some of the rebels had front forks on the end of the original forks to give their bikes a cool chopper look. Those were great times.

Saw one a couple weeks ago at a pawn shop? next to The Polked Yolk in West Seneca on Transit. Beautiful condition, high handlebars, banana seat, $350 and had a do not touch sign.

Hi, N'eo-

Yes!  My friends and I would ride our bikes to the Seneca Mall on hot summer days and park our bikes in the garden department of JC Penney's (it had an iron fence around it that we locked our bikes to). We would lounge around in the air-conditioned mall for as long as we could.

I still say Mangano's donuts were the best I have ever had in my life (Paula's included).  AND, they had so many varieties!  We'd stop after church on Sundays and get a couple of "headlights" (yeast-raised donuts with chocolate frosting and a large dollop of white "creme").  Simply delicious!

I got my banana bike from Sears.  It was candy purple.  It was a unique bike, as it had 24" wheels (not the usual 20"), both brake calipers on the rear wheel and a 5-speed derailleur.  Man, I loved that bike.  But when 10-speed bikes became all the rage, I sold the thing. I'm still kicking myself....

Edited by Sabre Dance

I'm cross posting this to this thread and the Break a Sweat thread since the bike I rode yesterday is 50 years old. We all remember our banana seat bikes, but did anyone have an English 3-speed like this?

Solo Labor Day ride on the Old Gentleman to and around Downtown Fort Worth. 30 miles of increasingly HOT riding. Had a blowout at mile 2; the tires were a little soft and I think when I pumped up the front the tire came off the bead. VERY loud bang. My CO2 cartridge nozzle was busted so I actually used the ancient frame pump. It got the tire pumped up enough to walk the bike over to an oil change place and they let me use their air hose.

14241481_1058938270821729_31824424166612

This fountain commemorates one of Fort Worth's nicknames of "Panther City." (It comes from a story told of a lawyer that came from Dallas and said Fort Worth was such a sleepy little town that a panther slept on Main Street. The locals adopted the intended snub with pride as a new name for the city.)

14249745_1058939870821569_83806015733409

Sundance Square- the recently built central plaza in downtown

14138746_1058940634154826_57789910244380

Bridges over the Trinity River

14249871_1058938304155059_52083354712176

Almost home, on the edge of the Suburban Sprawl

14137969_1058938350821721_18724231947032

• 1 month later...

Old Fart Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1yyoe377k

'39 is a track from Queen's Night at the Opera album.  If you count the tracks of all their albums in order, it's the 39th track.  The song is about Einstein's Theory of Relativity, in which explorers leave the earth and travel for a year (in their time) and return to earth a hundred years later.

It shifts from science fiction to tragedy abruptly in the last three lines of the song, when one of the travelers mourns his long-dead wife:

All your letters in the sand
Cannot heal me like your hand
For my life still ahead pity me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.