OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

So this Shang Chunsong's floor routine was bonkers. I don't often have my jaw drop, but she had a couple tumbling passes that were pretty mind blowing. She's not even the team favorite for it. 

And now Wang Yan is on. It's kinda scary good too. The Americans are just so much more powerful. 

The body differences are so amazing. 

Chunsong, 20 years old, probably silver medalist: tumblr_obe968W65V1vbcsejo1_1280.jpg

Simone Biles, probable gold medal winner, 19

635487067183038388-AP-China-Gymnastics-W

I am so fascinated how different they are and how it affects their routines. 

Both are under five feet- Chunsong is 4'7", Biles is 4'9" 

Are we ever going to get a overall perspective camera shot in archery? Watching a closeup of the shooter, so tight I can count his nose hairs, and then switching to a closeup of the target is beyond painful. I have no idea how far the target is and therefor can't tell just how good they are.

I think they just said this guy is from Elma NY. Pretty cool.

Are we ever going to get a overall perspective camera shot in archery? Watching a closeup of the shooter, so tight I can count his nose hairs, and then switching to a closeup of the target is beyond painful. I have no idea how far the target is and therefor can't tell just how good they are.

I think they just said this guy is from Elma NY. Pretty cool.

Yep (as am I). I have friends on FB that are friends of his and keep tagging him in stuff.

To you point, seems like an over-the-off-shoulder angle would be awesome.

I assume that by "12," you mean "9."

My niece is 7 and they look her age.

I'm sorry, there is absolutely no way Chunsong is 20 years old. I did a search to see other pictures and it's not just one bad picture. They're all like that, if not worse. I feel creepy just doing it, like big brother just put me on some list. 

I can kind of see it in their faces. The ones I remember being really controversial were the Beijing Chinese women's gymnasts- their 15 year olds were rumored to be more like 12 and 13, and things were overlooked because it was the home country pulling strings. 

I think a lot of it is genetics, looking young, but also the strict routines/diets they're probably on. No chance to go through puberty in a body that might not've changed much even under more normal circumstances. They just look kind of stunted to me. Doesn't stop them being incredible athletes, but you gotta wonder. No other team has such childlike contestants. 

I'll have to give it some thought, but I'm gonna eliminate Irish clog dancing right off the bat. Apologies to Michael Flatley.

That's TWO pop culture references I've had to Google in five days. I prefer Heddy Lamarr.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.