Will Matty Moulson rebound this season

LGR4GM

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed/08ef9633-b2b6-4afa-8162-b50522b689c4?autoplay=false

Posted this in the Okposo thread, but yeah, it belongs here. This video is so Matty. 

I don't see much of a rebound in Moulson's game. It'll be difficult for him to crack the top 6. Playing on the 4th line will limit his chances to produce points. 

I said at the end of the season that I expect Matty Mo to have a better year this year. It's going to be up to him and the training staff though to make sure he has his legs for every game. If that means more rest then fine. I think he'll likely have had a very good off-season of training and comes into camp in the best shape of his career. If that happens I could see him getting close to 40 points.

Moulson is a classic example of a guy losing a step without having a step to lose. He quite literally cannot keep up with the pace of play anymore, to say nothing of his diminished puck skills. 33 is not young for a hockey player, and even the greats tend not to be the same at that age (though they can still be very effective). The one thing Moulson ever did really well was clean up garbage around the net, but he's so far behind the play he can't get there in time...and he flubs the puck the few times he does. Think to some games where he'd have a glorious chance...but his stick wasn't on the ice. A better nutrition program isn't fixing that. Guy simply can't play at NHL speeds anymore, and it's not just the skating.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

33 isn't young, but it's not that old either. A lot of guys start falling off due to injures taking their toll, but I think he just really had an off year last year. I expect him to bounce back and have two more 30+ point seasons before he calls it quits. I think he's physically capable of that.

This is the type of question that makes me wonder how anybody can expect us to make the playoffs. He is even lower than a JAG at this point. At this point he is just taking up a spot on the roster that should be filled by one of our prospects. Why is he even here, for rent?

This is the type of question that makes me wonder how anybody can expect us to make the playoffs. He is even lower than a JAG at this point. At this point he is just taking up a spot on the roster that should be filled by one of our prospects. Why is he even here, for rent?

What do you propose to do with ol Matty Mo

We have cap/money to burn right? So I say buy him out as long as that is an option. At very least send him to the roc. Idk, anything but playing with this team.

IMHO, if he doesn't show something in training camp he's an Amerk. It makes little sense to buy him out right now. With the expansion draft next offseason and his buyout significantly less then, they can assess his future then.

I said at the end of the season that I expect Matty Mo to have a better year this year. It's going to be up to him and the training staff though to make sure he has his legs for every game. If that means more rest then fine. I think he'll likely have had a very good off-season of training and comes into camp in the best shape of his career. If that happens I could see him getting close to 40 points.

But as Smell said in the Okposo thread, Moulson was such a marginal talent in the first place. Even a mild-moderate decline in skill will result in dramatically reduced effectiveness.

Honestly I think it really could go 3 ways:

He starts hot, then peters out by about the half way point

He starts hot and stays hot in long enough stretches to be considered to have had a bounce back year

He starts cold, stays cold and finishes the season in Rochester 

Please stop.

He can't go to Rochester. He can't be traded. He can't be waived.

We can't put him on waivers, it violates his No Movement Clause.

We can't send him down, it violates his No Movement Clause.

We can't trade him, it violates his No Movement Clause.

Buying him out takes unnecessary cap space for an unnecessary period of time. 

Your best pet is to put him on the third line and hope you can get 10-20 goals from him this year. 

EDIT: I was checking out Cap Friendly, they've changed Matt Moulson's status from No Movement Clause to Modified No Trade Clause. If it's modified No Trade Clause then ignore the above.

Edited by gregkash

Give him every opportunity to turn things around.  We have the money and cap space right now.  I don't think his struggles are a lack of effort and he's helped the team by taking Jack Eichel in and by helping convince KO to sign here.  We're trying to be a destination for players and it'll help if we show loyalty to guys we already have.  He's definitely not going to kill us on the 3rd or 4th line anyway.

If he keeps declining, he's probably gone after this year.  If he rebounds, even better.

Give him every opportunity to turn things around.  We have the money and cap space right now.  I don't think his struggles are a lack of effort and he's helped the team by taking Jack Eichel in and by helping convince KO to sign here.  We're trying to be a destination for players and it'll help if we show loyalty to guys we already have.  He's definitely not going to kill us on the 3rd or 4th line anyway.

If he keeps declining, he's probably gone after this year.  If he rebounds, even better.

This I agree w/. If a franchise shows little commitment and an unwillingness to allow a 2nd chance, they will have difficulty bringing others in. Okposo is good indicator the NHL as a whole is becoming aware of how great it can be to play for the Sabres and live in Buffalo. 

I think it's a coin flip. It's unlikely he'll return to his old form but it's also unlikely he'll stink as bad as last year. Hopefully the remarks about his conditioning serves as a wake up call and he dedicates the time to get back in shape and he returns to some moderately productive form.

The team should give him a chance but if it's obvious that he's nothing but a shell of his former self they should play him on the 3rd or 4th line until the end of the season and encourage him to retire. Give him a cushy job teaching kids at the Harbor Center and let him ride off into the sunset. No buy out because it will double the length of time his contract stays on the books.

Please stop.

He can't go to Rochester. He can't be traded. He can't be waived.

We can't put him on waivers, it violates his No Movement Clause.

We can't send him down, it violates his No Movement Clause.

We can't trade him, it violates his No Movement Clause.

Buying him out takes unnecessary cap space for an unnecessary period of time.

Your best pet is to put him on the third line and hope you can get 10-20 goals from him this year.

EDIT: I was checking out Cap Friendly, they've changed Matt Moulson's status from No Movement Clause to Modified No Trade Clause. If it's modified No Trade Clause then ignore the above.

It's modified no trade :)

Give him every opportunity to turn things around. We have the money and cap space right now. I don't think his struggles are a lack of effort and he's helped the team by taking Jack Eichel in and by helping convince KO to sign here. We're trying to be a destination for players and it'll help if we show loyalty to guys we already have. He's definitely not going to kill us on the 3rd or 4th line anyway.

If he keeps declining, he's probably gone after this year. If he rebounds, even better.

Way I see it, if he's getting 3rd line ice time, we're not a playoff team. He can absolutely hurt us getting 15 minutes per game.

It's modified no trade :)

Way I see it, if he's getting 3rd line ice time, we're not a playoff team. He can absolutely hurt us getting 15 minutes per game.

Yep.

No idea. It's on him to reinvent his game.

That said, the only way I see him getting close to 20g is if he establishes himself as a net front presence on the PP, like an Andreychuk.

Problem for him is, he doesn't even have Andreyslug speed anymore. He's not going to get to the net in time to be that presence.

I think he'll be in better shape, but it will be a challenge for ice time, we have more depth than previous years.

He needs to work hard and wait for a break. Okposo would be upset if we get rid of him ASAP.

Hawerchuk didn't like the best man in his wedding going back to the Peg. He dealt w/ it. These guys understand it's a business.

I think he'll be in better shape, but it will be a challenge for ice time, we have more depth than previous years.

He needs to work hard and wait for a break. Okposo would be upset if we get rid of him ASAP.

Hawerchuk didn't like the best man in his wedding going back to the Peg. He dealt w/ it. These guys understand it's a business.

My guess is Okposo would be more upset if we're giving a crappy player a bunch of ice time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.