What Is Buffalo's Next Move?

WildCard

So, we've missed Yandle, Goligoski, PK, Stamkos, and Hall, and those are just the names we thought would be available at the end of the season. Other big names have moved, and here we are, sitting with Kulikov. There will still be moves to come, and so the question arises, where do we go from here? Do we target a forward like Eriksson? Do we offer sheet Kucherov? Maybe call back Anaheim and quickly hang up?

So, we've missed Yandle, Goligoski, PK, Stamkos, and Hall, and those are just the names we thought would be available at the end of the season. Other big names have moved, and here we are, sitting with Kulikov. There will still be moves to come, and so the question arises, where do we go from here? Do we target a forward like Eriksson? Do we offer sheet Kucherov? Maybe call back Anaheim and quickly hang up?

I feel like they are all in on Vesey right now. I'm not sure Murray thinks the forwards need any other additions. If they are putting all their eggs in that basket, he better be signing here July 1. 

I feel like they are all in on Vesey right now. I'm not sure Murray thinks the forwards need any other additions. If they are putting all their eggs in that basket, he better be signing here July 1. 

The thing is with that, there's really nothing more you can do. He either likes it here or not, every team can offer him the same money

Personally, I call up Colorado and ask them about Duchene. I look back at Fowler, and Hamhuis (need that for TW contest), and try and see about Eriksson. Also, if we can get RNH for Casey Nelson, it would hurt but I'd do it

As others have said too, let's offer sheet Lindholm or Kucherov

The thing is with that, there's really nothing more you can do. He either likes it here or not, every team can offer him the same money

Personally, I call up Colorado and ask them about Duchene. I look back at Fowler, and Hamhuis (need that for TW contest), and try and see about Eriksson. Also, if we can get RNH for Casey Nelson, it would hurt but I'd do it

As others have said too, let's offer sheet Lindholm or Kucherov

But I think they need to know on Vesey by July 1, so they can make other moves if need be. Can't rely on Vesey only to have him sign with someone else in August. I think Murray has to sign him July 1, or assume he has to rely on other options. 

Focus on signing our own RFAs.   Vesey, take him or leave him, don't think he would fill a top-6 spot this season.

Try to work something out with ANA to land Fowler for a 2017 first.

Package some guys like Foligno, Girgensons, Bailey and whatever to try and pry Barrie away from COL, or perhaps Lindholm from ANA.    

I'm actually OK with the forwards going into the season.   Assuming Ennis is back to normal, he fills a top-6 spot, and Kane is still in the long term plans.    Nylander might show something special in camp, maybe he makes the team, who knows. 

But I think they need to know on Vesey by July 1, so they can make other moves if need be. Can't rely on Vesey only to have him sign with someone else in August. I think Murray has to sign him July 1, or assume he has to rely on other options. 

TBF, this sounds like they are not all in on Vesey. More so that they're focused on him right now, but have back up plans? i.e. they need to figure him out first

We definitely need some offense and some wingers - I suspect we'll go after Kucharov or Okposo and then if we can also sign Vesey it'll be the icing on the cake.  It's not like we don't have the cap space.  And then we can use some of the other assets to hopefully finalize shoring up the D - I'd love to replace Gorges/Fransen.

Edited by Bluefire

I go back and forth on this. After the end of the season presser, I was nearly certain that all Murray wanted to do was upgrade the defense and look at a bargain forward or two with some upside. Then the whole Stampocalypse stuff came out, and changed my thinking some...but I dunno, that may have just been a special case of "It's a potential 50 goal scorer, we have to try" and now it's back to business as usual. Really interested to see things play out.

Said this already in the Kulikov thread, Murray blind sided us with that one, no one saw it coming.

he runs a tight ship and if anything does leak out, I'm starting to believe it won't happen.

Excited myself to see what else he can come up with to improve our D and a top 6 winger.

In the end we would really have to look where we would fit Stamkos anyway, I would have put him on O'reilly's wing.

Edited by Huckleberry

Focus on signing our own RFAs.   Vesey, take him or leave him, don't think he would fill a top-6 spot this season.

Try to work something out with ANA to land Fowler for a 2017 first.

Package some guys like Foligno, Girgensons, Bailey and whatever to try and pry Barrie away from COL, or perhaps Lindholm from ANA.    

I'm actually OK with the forwards going into the season.   Assuming Ennis is back to normal, he fills a top-6 spot, and Kane is still in the long term plans.    Nylander might show something special in camp, maybe he makes the team, who knows.

I may be unusually confident in this, but I really think Vesey plays top six immediately if we sign him, with Jack.

TBF, this sounds like they are not all in on Vesey. More so that they're focused on him right now, but have back up plans? i.e. they need to figure him out first

I hope they are not all in on Vesey. Or rather, I hope they ARE, until July 1. I'd like to see them sign him on Friday, and at that point I'm not sure we need more forward moves. But I hope that if he doesn't sign by then, Murray addresses the forward as if he's not signing. This is the roster:

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis

BLANK - Eichel - Reinhart

That blank is either Vesey, a FA/trade, or Girgensons. I'm really only comfortable with the first two options.

I go back and forth on this. After the end of the season presser, I was nearly certain that all Murray wanted to do was upgrade the defense and look at a bargain forward or two with some upside. Then the whole Stampocalypse stuff came out, and changed my thinking some...but I dunno, that may have just been a special case of "It's a potential 50 goal scorer, we have to try" and now it's back to business as usual. Really interested to see things play out.

I think Stamkos was a special case and viewed by Murray as such. My guess is Murray's plan has always been to add 1 forward (Stamkos would have been separate from that goal). He wants one winger.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Vesey. I'm not confident in our ability to get other valuable FAs to take Vesey's spot if he doesn't sign, and even less confident if Murray is waiting till August to peruse that avenue.

My fear is no Vesey signing on Friday, no other FA signing Friday, and Murray saying the target is Vesey and we'll wait till August. Murray said the goal next year is playoffs and I think we need one more winger to have a good chance at that.

I really don't see why people are that upset about Stamkos, he didn't make it to open market, so nothing to get that absurdly upset about.  I don't really love Okposo that much and overpaying him would be a mistake. I'd rather go after Boedker who doesn't make much sense either. 

*Pulls Thorny off the "Because Buffalo" *

It's okay, it will all be okay! I've said it before, but I really like the notion of adding Mike Hoffman (especially if Vesey won't sign). Even if Vesey does sign here, Hoffman would be a quality add given his age and skill set.

Missa say thank yousa.

I like to think I'm not on the "because Buffalo" ledge, though. I like to think I generally am just being a realist. The chances of getting the top FAs is low just because of the basic odds. High demand, low supply. Lots of teams in the hunt.

Obviously the odds aren't as extreme, but sometimes I feel like not getting the top FA and saying "because Buffalo" is like buying a lottery ticket, not winning, and saying, "Damn, nothing ever goes my way!"

I love the Hoffman idea. Probably as much or more than any of the UFAs out there. For me it's Vesey as one, Hoffman two, if he's available.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.