What Is Buffalo's Next Move?

WildCard

Kypreos on WGR just speculated that Okposo will ask for $40M over 6 years, which is more than I would want the Sabres to spend on him.

He's better, in my opinion, than Lucic. And according to Hoss, Lucic is wanting 6 mill a year. If the cap hit is less than 7 mill, go for Okposo. 

I would sign Okposo with an expiring nmc after 3 years.  Send him to Minnesota at the tail end of his contract.  The price he is asking is the market and we lose no assets.  I could live with it.

It's my thought/belief that when a player and team have an ugly disagreement, the player moves. I don't see too many successful 'kiss-and-make-up' in the league. Maybe you can provide examples to show otherwise, but:

Suban was just shipped out of Montreal.

Hasek was sent packing from Buffalo when there were behind the scene issues with coaching/management.

O'Reilly was said to be unhappy with his contract situation in Colorado.

These are just a few all star players who had issues with their teams, and I think allegiance and team-player attitude ultimately comes into play.

I am struggling to find an example of a great player who was unhappy but buried the hatchet with his team and played out his career.

It's my thought/belief that when a player and team have an ugly disagreement, the player moves. I don't see too many successful 'kiss-and-make-up' in the league. Maybe you can provide examples to show otherwise, but:

Hasek was sent packing from Buffalo when there were behind the scene issues with coaching/management.

These are just a few all star players who had issues with their teams, and I think allegiance and team-player attitude ultimately comes into play.

I am struggling to find an example of a great player who was unhappy but buried the hatchet with his team and played out his career.

Stamkos just signed up for exactly that.

Stamkos was unhappy?

He and Cooper didn't get along from my understanding. Had at least some to do with him being used as a winger instead of at center.

For me to be happy with this offseason, I'd say sign Vesey, then get Yak from the Oilers for a song. I know he has problems, but if I can send a 3rd or a 4th next year for him then I'm fine with it on a risk.

Ultimate move is still to get Hoffman from the Sens. IDK what that would take, but if we get him I'm set for the year.

Didn't like the way Cooper was using him was something I had heard ?

Perhaps, but I think it was more posturing for a contract. When you look at the end result, IMO, he accepted a discount to stay with his club. I don't think his comments ever got to the point of distraction, but I also don't live in Tampa and follow it that close.

I don't think they are going to make another trade for a Dman at this point - they are probably pretty comfortable with a top 4 of Risto, Bogo, Kulikov and McCabe. They will have to sign a couple of depth Dmen to fill out the roster through Free Agency.

They would probably be looking at adding a couple of wingers, hopefully Vesey is one of them.

I honestly don't mind this team going forward with a ton of cap space. They will have no issues when Jack and Sam come up in a couple of years plus they are giving the young players on this team a couple of years to define their roles.  

Why spend $7mill on Okoposo if Bailey turns out to be a better player than him?

In 2 years after a couple of playoff runs then you fill out the holes by going big. Plus you have a better chance of star players wanting to be that "missing piece".

If the Sabres were 2 years ahead in their development I think Stamkos may have signed.

Bailey almost assuredly won't be a 60+ point player in this league.

The name of the game can't be exclusively patience. If we fail to make other improvements, we'll be analyzing the coming draft pretty quickly again this season.

Bailey almost assuredly won't be a 60+ point player in this league.

The name of the game can't be exclusively patience. If we fail to make other improvements, we'll be analyzing the coming draft pretty quickly again this season.

Agreed, but this place exercises no patience at all.  There is an element of organic growth required.  Carrier seems ready, Ennis is coming back and it remains to be seen if he can regain form along with Girgs.  I am all for making a good trade or fa pickup to improve the roster, but not simply for the sake of doing so.  I also think the market for a difference maker would require blowing a hole in our roster to acquire the same.  We need a backup gt, we may be able to live with the rest.

Hasek won round one, Nolan/Muckler were sent packing. He then promptly effed off and forced a trade once it was apparent things were about to go precipitously downhill.

Subban, O'Riley, St. Louis in Tampa all good recent examples though.

Hasek won round one, Nolan/Muckler were sent packing. He then promptly effed off and forced a trade once it was apparent things were about to go precipitously downhill.

Subban, O'Riley, St. Louis in Tampa all good recent examples though.

Hasek didn't force the trade itself; he merely dictated the terms of the trade, which were ridiculous.  Like Germany Versailles Treaty ridiculous.

Agreed, but this place exercises no patience at all.  There is an element of organic growth required.  Carrier seems ready, Ennis is coming back and it remains to be seen if he can regain form along with Girgs.  I am all for making a good trade or fa pickup to improve the roster, but not simply for the sake of doing so.  I also think the market for a difference maker would require blowing a hole in our roster to acquire the same.  We need a backup gt, we may be able to live with the rest.

Do you think Murray encourages patience in the fan base?

I'm basically here, but I continue to be interested in Rick Nash as a cap dump pickup. And I certainly think Nash would be preferable to giving some 6 year contract to Okposo or Eriksson. Especially if Vesey signs, I like what a Nash addition does to our lineup right now, without screwing with the future.

The following is a three scoring line setup:

Nash-O'Reilly-Girgensons

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

Foligno-XXX-Gionta

Deslauriers

Could slide Reinhart or Girgensons into that 3C role and Larsson down to 4C if Fasching or Bailey force their way onto the roster. This lineup also has a lot of general flexibility with players who can play throughout.

I'm basically here, but I continue to be interested in Rick Nash as a cap dump pickup. And I certainly think Nash would be preferable to giving some 6 year contract to Okposo or Eriksson. Especially if Vesey signs, I like what a Nash addition does to our lineup right now, without screwing with the future.

The following is a three scoring line setup:

Nash-O'Reilly-Girgensons

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

Foligno-XXX-Gionta

Deslauriers

Could slide Reinhart or Girgensons into that 3C role and Larsson down to 4C if Fasching or Bailey force their way onto the roster. This lineup also has a lot of general flexibility with players who can play throughout.

Nice lines.  I'd flip Girgensons and Ennis because you just know Bylsma's not going to be able to help himself with the 3rd line.  Kane - Larsson - Girgensons has best 3rd line in the league potential.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.