Idea: Offer sheet Nikita Kucherov

Hoss

In our new world I don't think we have to stick this conversation in the Stamkos thread since there is plenty to discuss there on its own.

What do you think about the possibility of offer-sheeting Nikita Kucherov who is going to be an RFA come Friday? He's a left-handed winger that is slotted on the right side in Tampa. He just put up 30-36-66 in 77 games for Tampa Bay and, by some accounts, has taken over as Tampa Bay's best overall forward.

Here is General Fanger's offer-sheet compensation chart and who can give what (we can give any level of offer).

http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets

FriylQt.png

Personally, I love the idea. I don't give a flying about the stupid unwritten rules of offer sheets. Sign your players or somebody else will.

I would be willing to go up to the $7.5 million area on this one.

Worst case scenario it's really the two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd. I'd start in the bracket just before that, and see if he bites, because I definitely do that deal. If not, maybe I do the aforementioned two 1sts. Especially as, if we are where we want to be, those two 1sts are really two 15+ picks

In our new world I don't think we have to stick this conversation in the Stamkos thread since there is plenty to discuss there on its own.

What do you think about the possibility of offer-sheeting Nikita Kucherov who is going to be an RFA come Friday? He's a left-handed winger that is slotted on the right side in Tampa. He just put up 30-36-66 in 77 games for Tampa Bay and, by some accounts, has taken over as Tampa Bay's best overall forward.

Here is General Fanger's offer-sheet compensation chart and who can give what (we can give any level of offer).

http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets

FriylQt.png

Personally, I love the idea. I don't give a flying ###### about the stupid unwritten rules of offer sheets. Sign your players or somebody else will.

I would be willing to go up to the $7.5 million area on this one.

Would rather see them threaten to offer sheet him & then have TB trade Drouin for a reasonable haul. ;)

I'll happily offer sheet Kucherov after Anaheim matches my Lindolm offer sheet :p

More seriously, I'm definitely willing to go up to the two 1sts, 2nd 3rd round pick range--probably to around $8.5M. I think it's very possible they still match, but might be able to snag somebody like Killorn, whom I mentioned in another thread, as a great middle-6 addition.

I honestly feel the main idea with offer sheets isn't to get the player you sign, but to force loose somebody else you'd like who the team is more willing to part with.

I'll happily offer sheet Kucherov after Anaheim matches my Lindolm offer sheet :P

More seriously, I'm definitely willing to go up to the two 1sts, 2nd 3rd round pick range--probably to around $8.5M. I think it's very possible they still match, but might be able to snag somebody like Killorn, whom I mentioned in another thread, as a great middle-6 addition.

I honestly feel the main idea with offer sheets isn't to get the player you sign, but to force loose somebody else you'd like who the team is more willing to part with.

I keep forgetting about offering Lindholm. Let's do that, probably cheaper too

I want to offer sheet someone, but I get the distinct feeling that offer sheets are a tool that GMTM is not interested in using. I don't think it's his style.

I disagree, if anything I think he is one of the only GMs I think wouldn't care about the unwritten rule and use offer sheets to his advantage, but only if it's a player they really want

Like Kuch, totally open to offer sheets, think Tampa is vulnerable.

Would rather save this bullet for a defenceman though, especially after adding Nylander.

I'd really like to see Murray use this threat and all our cap space to force another GM into something he doesn't want to do. The cap and contract situation has never been more ripe for one of these.

gentlemen's agreements. Hasn't handcuffed the Rangers, Flyers, or anyone else that has used it.

Edited by dudacek

I want to offer sheet someone, but I get the distinct feeling that offer sheets are a tool that GMTM is not interested in using. I don't think it's his style.

Murray's been stockpiling picks. We have an extra 2nd and 3rd next year. We have some great prospects if there was a time to go after a RFA this is the offseason to do so as we're a top 6 winger and top 4 Dman to be a playoff contender assuming Leaner can play 50 - 60 games.

Murray's been stockpiling picks. We have an extra 2nd and 3rd next year. We have some great prospects if there was a time to go after a RFA this is the offseason to do so as we're a top 6 winger and top 4 Dman to be a playoff contender assuming Leaner can play 50 - 60 games.

Interesting. Are you posing that GMTM was actually preparing to be able to enter an offer sheet?

especially for a Russian!

A 23 year old Russian that's scored 59 goals in the two seasons seems worth between $6 and $7.5 million per season. With a less than great crop of UFA Dmen and Forwards I say take the plunge on Kucherov assuming Vesey doesn't sign.

Interesting. Are you posing that GMTM was actually preparing to be able to enter an offer sheet?

That or allocating assets he can use or move to get a better roster. As Murray comes across the type that will do what it takes to get best group of players.

Would rather save this bullet for a defenceman though, especially after adding Nylander.

I'd really like to see Murray use this threat and all our cap space to force another GM into something he doesn't want to do. The cap and contract situation has never been more ripe for one of these.

###### gentlemen's agreements. Hasn't handcuffed the Rangers, Flyers, or anyone else that has used it.

Agreed on all points. Lindholm first, for this tool. But I loooooooooooove Kucherov.

###### gentlemen's agreements. Hasn't handcuffed the Rangers, Flyers, or anyone else that has used it.

Yea, this offseason is just begging for at least the threat of an offer sheet to facilitate action. As I said earlier, I'm not even truly looking at the premier targets (I think they get matched)...go after the quality secondary pieces that teams just won't budget for, and where the draft pick compensation isn't super high. Some teams and names to think about:

Rangers: Kreider/Hayes/Miller. I think they'd match Miller for anything reasonable, Kreider is more probable than not...but Hayes? Might have something there.

Ottawa: Hoffman has been talked about...but what about Ceci? Not for the purpose of getting Ceci, but to help push Hoffman out the door. 

Tampa: Killorn/Namestnikov/Kucherov and only $9.4 million in space. I'm pretty sure they match Kucherov unless it's obscene, but a big offer sheet there could mean they have to dump one of the other two. I'm very interested in both of them--good for ~40 points, positive possession players. I love Killorn, and think he could be had.

Washington: Johansen/Orlov. They have $11M in space to sign a Dman and 3 forwards. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I'm not interested in giving up so much for a forward, especially if Vesey signs. As for offer sheeting Lindholm, I'll jump on that bandwagon.

I just don't think it'd work--they'd match. I think the goal would have to be to make it so financially untenable that they are willing to deal Fowler at a reduced asking price. Which, yes, I am also on board with :)

I like the idea in theory but I'd be afraid of a offer sheet retribution in the future when we need to sign eichel and reinhart...

Anyways, now that Stamkos is gone we have a ###### load of cap space to work with so I hope gmtm makes a splash with something.

Sign them before they're RFAs. Problem solved :)

I like the idea in theory but I'd be afraid of a offer sheet retribution in the future when we need to sign eichel and reinhart...

Anyways, now that Stamkos is gone we have a ###### load of cap space to work with so I hope gmtm makes a splash with something.

My thing with that is, when does retribution ever happen? Calgary offered ROR, and Edmonton offered Vanek, and I don't recall either team sending an offer sheet out in retaliation. 

Sign them before they're RFAs. Problem solved :)

Florida will do just that with Ekblad

I kinda doubt that Anaheim would match, say, a $7MM x 6 years offer sheet for Lindholm -- but I'm a bit skeptical that GMTM is going to tender any offer sheets. I also think if GMTM were to offer that to Lindholm, it would be pretty much impossible to get Risto to agree to a bridge deal, which might affect GMTM's thinking.

Also, I wish RFA offer sheets were widespread, as they are in the NBA. Yet another operational item the NBA does better than the NHL.

I kinda doubt that Anaheim would match, say, a $7MM x 6 years offer sheet for Lindholm -- but I'm a bit skeptical that GMTM is going to tender any offer sheets. I also think if GMTM were to offer that to Lindholm, it would be pretty much impossible to get Risto to agree to a bridge deal, which might affect GMTM's thinking.

I think you are completely correct on that last point. No way does Risto bridge if we offer sheet Lindolm for a large amount. That said, Risto and Lindolm on matching $7M contracts >>>>>> Risto on a bridge and Okposo at $7M x5, or whatever the alternative is.

As I see it, the challenge with offer sheets isn't a future offer sheet in retaliation, it's that you might lose at least one trading partner for a while after you do it.  And, who knows, others might not want to trade with you because of their distaste for it.  Speculating, of course, but I think the stakes for Murray are high because the dude loves to trade, and risking a trading partner or partners over a player is a maybe a larger gamble than over-paying for a player or two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.